The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:34:11 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Ur-Quan Dreadnought to be re-named "Banana Boat"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: Ur-Quan Dreadnought to be re-named "Banana Boat"  (Read 37386 times)
0xDEC0DE
*Many bubbles*

View Profile WWW
Re: Ur-Quan Dreadnought to be re-named "Turdboat"
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2007, 12:03:42 am »

In SC1 it is my opinion that the most powerful ship is the Penetrator, but only after you have maxed its current crew;  It loses a lot of potential in SC2 as it cannot keep captured crew after battle.  Shame .
What's this, now?  The "Syreen throw extra crew out the airlock" bug was fixed in late 2003.  Try playing the current release version.  Or are you talking about something else?

If so, please file a bug describing how to reproduce it.

"I’m not a robot like you. I don’t like having disks crammed into me… unless they’re Oreos, and then only in the mouth."  --Fry
Holocat
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2007, 12:20:22 am »

?  I *think* I recall this from the PC version, that after a battle is complete (that is, ALL combats are resolved between you and an enemy fleet in a single player game), any extra crew disappears.  I haven't used penetrators in the current version of UQM.  They keep their crew now?  What happens if you transfer crew with them?

To be specific, in SC1 you either had to do it the hard way (with enemey ships) or you could raid a Hierachy colony world;  All penetrators get full crew if they're at the planet.
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2007, 12:44:22 am »

There was a more recent bug with crew. But it too is fixed in the latest release.

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
chad of Toronto
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2007, 08:17:29 am »

I was just playing today the Alliance ships versus the Hiearchy ships. Amongst these ship the Urquan turns YOU into turd worthy of a Supox diet.

I
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 08:39:52 am by chad of Toronto » Logged
Shiver

Email
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2007, 09:50:25 pm »

Poster above me, please work on your reading comprehension.

Quote from: Shiver
AS WITH ALL PVP TOPICS, PLEASE DO NOT PREACH IF YOU ARE NOT EXPERIENCED WITH IT. COMMENTARY FROM NEWBIES IS WELCOME, PREACHING ISN'T.

A little bit of common sense would have told you that the people arguing in this topic have already played against the "awesome" computer so many times they can beat it on either side of the Hierarchy vs Old Alliance match-up with one hand while drunk.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 03:51:13 am by Shiver » Logged
Captain_Smith

Email
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2007, 07:05:01 pm »

I was just playing today the Alliance ships versus the Hiearchy ships. Amongst these ship the Urquan turns YOU into turd worthy of a Supox diet.

And to illustrate something to you (and anyone that talks about strategy with the AI experience alone), about how good a lot of the players here are, let me describe something.  I just got done playing this melee group that you describe.  But one difference though.  I used a set of rules I described in here once upon a time I called Endurance Melee.  Basic idea is that if you win the matchup you remove the ships you lost out of your set, and then keep going.  Then you count the number of points of ships you blow up before you lose all your ships.   

For the Old Hierarchy versus Old Alliance (me) set, with the awesome AI, I just blew up 741 points worth of ships before I lost all of mine.   Yes, if you do the math, that means I beat the Hierarchy set 6 times before I lost on the 7th.  That also means that Ur-Quan ship went down 6 times.  Care to guess how many different ships I used in the Old Alliance set to take out that Ur-Quan 6 times? 

To compare it to others here, I'm not saying I'm really that good or that they wouldn't get more than that (I'm not sure if I'm really *that* good).  But I can definitely say that's a great illustration of how the AI has outgrown most of us, and something else to show you that judging against solely what the AI can do is meaningless.
0xDEC0DE
*Many bubbles*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2007, 10:19:00 pm »

Thread necromancy!

2) they shoot at asteroids
I really like this idea; and if my memory of how the AI works is correct, it's trivial to implement.  I'm going to have to try it on a "private version" and see how I like it.

I started poking and prodding at the code again, because I figure such hobbies are good for me.  And if bugs get fixed as a result, it's good for everyone who plays.  This request seemed like a fun place to start, so I augmented the fighters to shoot at just about anything they get near.  This has the net effect of making them attack/destroy asteroids that get too close.  The patch is here, it should apply cleanly to current SVN sources, and possibly even a stock 0.6.2 tree.

Of course, it's funny how expectations can get out of control.  I had visions of deploying fighters defensively, using them to intercept incoming projectiles and the like, which would really make the Dreadnought a genuine badass of a ship.  What I didn't account for is the fact that the fighters really, really suck.  They are designed to fly in amidships, hold position there, and shoot sideways at it until it is dead or they run low on fuel and need to turn back.  If you are small enough or fast enough, they will miss you completely.  So while two packs of opposing fighters will open fire on each other, about 80% of the time they'll miss each other.  And they have no hope at all of hitting any incoming projectile smaller or faster than the Podship's plasma ball.

But they do kill asteroids with this patch.  And that's pretty cool.

"I’m not a robot like you. I don’t like having disks crammed into me… unless they’re Oreos, and then only in the mouth."  --Fry
Shiver

Email
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2007, 10:28:33 pm »

Mister 0x,

That is an interesting solution, but EP has already made it so Ur-Quan fighters avoid asteroids and never expire from lack of fuel during his tinkering. I've tried to get people hyped up on modding the game so it plays better, but it just didn't catch on. If interest increases, we might get a total ship re-balance (not just re-cost) mod in the future.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 03:52:36 am by Shiver » Logged
0xDEC0DE
*Many bubbles*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2007, 08:47:22 pm »

If you're considering this a solved problem by other means, then so be it, but I figured I'd throw this solution out there in case any modders found it useful/fun/interesting.

I'm not really interested in maintaining it as part of my "unofficial build" (which has fallen into disrepair as of late, must look into that) and I've no illusions that the patch would ever make it into the mainline tree, so if noone else has any use for it, then it was just a fun little exercise to get me back into the proper headspace to look at/modify UQM code again.  And that's fine by me.

Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2007, 04:35:38 pm »

Well, I'd like to try it... one solution for making the fighters more useful would be to make their firing range a touch longer. Then at least they might get 2 shots in on whatever they're aiming at before it zips by.
Elerium
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2007, 04:57:15 pm »

The Dreadnought is supposed to be a ship to be feared.. yet everyone laughs at it, and it dies so horribly in PvP it just isn't funny.

Fighters need to be kitted out so they don't expire in space, avoid getting smushed by enemy ships/asteroids and have 2 HP so they can take some flak before closing in. Fusion blast needs work too.
TheUnderking
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2007, 05:33:38 pm »

I admit to being a noob at UQM PvP, having only played against some of my friends hot-seat style, but what is wrong with the Fusion Blaster? I agree the fighters are of questionable worth, but to me the FB is a strong, fast firing gun.
Valaggar

Email
Re: Ur-Quan Dreadnought to be re-named "Banana Boat"
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2007, 05:41:05 pm »

Zurin Arctus/King Wulfharth (whichever name you prefer): The Dreadnought is a slow, non-maneuverable ship that fires a medium speed, quite small, non-area of effect projectile, and this leads to horrible accuracy.
The Mauler seems at first glance the same, but recoil gives it somewhat of an edge, allowing it to employ hit and run tactics. Besides, the Mauler isn't overrated. It's actually underrated by 2 points, according to Elvish Pillager's Balance Mod.

NOTE: I'm not a non-PvP-noob. So I'm just speaking from my limited experience.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 08:45:08 pm by Valaggar the Wackrazy One » Logged
TheUnderking
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2007, 05:57:42 pm »

Hmm, good points, Valagger. So would you agree that the fusion blaster is a solid gun, that is entirely unsuitable for a large slow ship like the UQD?

And if not, what would you change to make the gun better suited to the ship that carries it?
edit : I reread the thread and shivers idea of doubling the blasts width seems a good one to me.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 06:13:50 pm by TheUnderking » Logged
Elvish Pillager
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2007, 09:01:14 pm »

edit : I reread the thread and shivers idea of doubling the blasts width seems a good one to me.
It's a good idea on paper, but I tried it and it doesn't help much.

My team of four Androsynth and three Chmmr is the most unfair team ever!
My mod
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length