The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:45:44 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Technical Issues (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  VC++ 2k5 compile problems
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: VC++ 2k5 compile problems  (Read 2127 times)
Zrie
Zebranky food

View Profile
VC++ 2k5 compile problems
« on: January 24, 2007, 06:12:41 pm »

Hey, all.

I've recently been trying to re-compile UQM 0.6.2 from the source.  I've been trying to use VC++ 2k5 simply because I had it lying around & I've used it before (albeit a tiny bit).  The compile goes fine, 0 errors, 370 warnings, and produces an executable.  When moved into my uqm dir and run, it seems to run fine.  if my re-compiled exe moves to ANOTHER machine, though, execution errors out with "This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect.  Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."    I've followed the INSTALL.msvc to the lettter, but keep getting this error.

Any ideas?
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
Re: VC++ 2k5 compile problems
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 06:20:17 pm »

You need the .dll files too, the exact ones that belong with the .lib files you used for compilation.

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
Zrie
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 07:14:42 pm »

Hm...  Would those be included in the steps in INSTALL.msvc?  If so, I'm pretty sure I got those, as well.  Copied all of the .DLLs into the sc2 dir before compiling, and added each .lib directory and .dll directory mentioned in install.msvc from the individual unzipped archives to "additional include directories" and "additional library directories" in VC++ 2k5 express.  Basically just plugged everything in as per the text.  When I re-make the .exe, I move the entire uqm dir and the DLLs I copied to the sc2 source dir to the new machine.  Is there something else I could be missing?

I'm used to MS' development environments not adding in all of the dependencies that are needed, and that was the only explanation that I could come up with as to why it would work on the development machine and not on a machine that doesn't have the Platform SDK / SDL / OGG / zlip / OpenAL / MSVC packages installed.

I'd compile it under linux if I thought it'd be easier, but that would end up taking forever...  At least for me.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 07:28:57 pm by Zrie » Logged
Zrie
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 03:29:34 am »

Replying to my own post.  How odd is that?

I think I may have figured out what was up.  After fiddling around with vc++2k5, I changed a couple of things.

1st - I ran the "register PSDK directories with Visual Studio" item under the Platform SDK Start menu item.

2nd - msvc has its config environment set to "Debug - NoAccel."  It seems to work better with "Release - NoAccel," though I don't get the console window anymore.  I'm sure I can change this in the project settings, but there you go.  A friend of mine mentioned that the compile works differently with the debug config active & may use a different set of DLLs or not link the DLLs correctly.

In any case, it seems to work now.  If anyone has a better description, let me know.
Michael Martin
Core Team
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 04:43:37 am »

If you intend to play the game directly, the best choice is probably "Release", not "Release - NoAccel", since Release uses MMX/SSE for the graphics code.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length