The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:20:09 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Needed! Staff for Project!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print
Author Topic: Needed! Staff for Project!  (Read 10727 times)
Neonlare
*Smell* controller

Nut Case for Star Control

View Profile
Re: Needed! Staff for Project!
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2007, 03:57:37 pm »

Yeah, I still need a coder Sad. But, it's good to have a structure of the game laid out, so we have atleast some foundations...

"would newton's law theory actually work if a Chmmr Avatar did a backwards pelvic thrust towards a planet and would this constitute an X=Y-0 in the part it ran straight into a Supox Blade and lasted long enough to survive?" - Elerium (as Valaggar)
Draxas
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2007, 05:49:14 pm »

Mmm... MAYBE These'll sort some stuff out...

Psi:

I can't have every single race throwing Psi-Beams and stuff at one another, that would just completely break the system, I'll think about this more though...

I really don't see why not. Magic is pretty ubiquitous in any tactical RPG from a fantasy setting, and this is really no different. Of course, at this point, I take PSI to mean any sort of special abilities or talents any given race might have.

Equipment Sold on Ships:

People, no one seems to be understanding this, yeah, bases are giving away weapons and stuff, but the Melnorme have the BEST ITEMS and are selling them rather cheap. You wouldn't setle for the second and pay double the amount for the first would you?

Maybe... But as we know, the Melnorme are only interested in specific resources or information for trade, and these things are often hard to come by. After all, if they were easy to find, wouldn't everyone have their technology by now (and by extension, wouldn't they want something different instead)? The point being, most of the other races would want more common resources in trade, while the Melnorme want specific, exotic, and rare items.

Besides, Melnorme technology is DIFFERENT, but not necessarily decidedly BETTER. Who says you can't find more advanced or useful devices and weapons elsewhere? Or, perhaps, that their equipment might not be suitable for the many and varied races of your allies? After all, this is about tactical combat; the more options you have for your tactics (via, at least, equipment with videly varying effects), the better that role is fulfilled.

Syreen Ship:

I don't see an Ur Quan being tammed, there's normally only ONE on each ship, and they're captains of em.

In ship-to-ship combat, that is absolutely correct. The Ur-Quan is the captain, and the rest of the crew is composed of slave races. Because the captain is always the sole holdout against the Syreen's special, that Ur-Quan would never bail out of the ship. The verdict is out on whether this applies to the Kohr-Ah, however, seeing as they don't keep slaves. There was a thread on this forum a while back speculating about the nature of their crew (with some very nice illustrations by Arne) that is an interesting read.

Ground combat is something different, however. While not captaining a ship (or presumably, leading a force of opponents), the Ur-Quan would probably be just as vulnerable to a Syreen's ability to dominate minds as any other opponent. I suppose this is a moot point if all Ur-Quan are considered bosses, or if they take to wearing excruciators again. But I think it would be fair to keep both flavors of Ur-Quan off limits to joining your forces.

Druuge and their ways:

Good points, I can see it might not exactly go down well with the Kohr Ah, but like most Guns for Hire, they'd be "employed" via broadcast, because well, with a pincer attack going on, the Ur Quan could actually get stomping on the Alliance Arse again (being in the center of the map and at attack from all angles is not good).
I think Kohr Ah would prefer Survival than their Ideals until they get a firm footing again, then again...

What profit is there, in aiding someone who is just as likely to fire on you as your mutual enemies? I don't see the Druuge's motivation for taking part in this plan either, especially since, assuming they manage to defeat the Alliance, they would be the most immediate target for continued Ur-Quan agression. Aiding the Ur-Quan, with ot without their consent and/or desire, would be a great risk with little forseeable reward, and that doesn't sound like something the Crimson Corporation would endorse at all.
Neonlare
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2007, 05:58:27 pm »

Druuge Enigma:

The Captain stomped over the Druuge pride, stole what they considered to be of great importance (you know what, no spoilers >: D), of course, the whole turning on each other thing is also an issue, I'm going to have to think about this a lil more...

Psi:

Like I said, I DO NOT want every race throwing "magic" around the place, there's a reason why Psychics are held so highly, and that's because there isn't many of them.

Syreen Mind Control and the Ur-Quan:

I thought, after the incidents between the Dynarri, the Ur Quan and Kohr Ah would go to lengths to prevent it happening again to their race, now the Syreen aren't even half as powerful as the Dynarri, so I'm still going to say no to Ur-Quan Mind Control.

Melnorme and his warez:

Course, granted, but then, why does the Captain use the Melnorme to purchase technology? Sure, the base makes the parts, but the actual information and such came from the Melnorme, and I do remember a section in SC2, where the commander goes into detail of how the Melnorme's technology is superior to that of which the Base holds...

"would newton's law theory actually work if a Chmmr Avatar did a backwards pelvic thrust towards a planet and would this constitute an X=Y-0 in the part it ran straight into a Supox Blade and lasted long enough to survive?" - Elerium (as Valaggar)
Draxas
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2007, 06:09:25 pm »

I'm still convinced the Ur-Quan would sooner destroy the Druuge than accept an alliance with them, and that the Druuge would never be stupid enough to try to make an alliance with a race so universally hostile. While their pride is important, their survival and profits are much more so.

As I said, I'm using the term PSI as a catch-all for any abilities not universally shared by all races. They don't necessarily have to be psionics. Hell, you could even go so far as to say the Umgah's superior medical skill (battlefield medic, anoyone?) would fall under this category, and that has nothing to do with psychic powers. Bottom line is, my feeling is that friends and foes alike need specific traits to differentiate them, otherwise they're just generic allies or enemies with different sprites.

The Melnorme possess superior technology with respect to the flagship and planet landers than the starbase, which is unsurprising since they're Precursor technologies that Starcontrol personnel from Earth would have little to no knowledge of. With respect to everything else... Well, would you want all your ships armed with the apparent pinnacle of Melnorme weapons technology, the rainbow charge blaster and paralysis shot? I know I wouldn't.
Neonlare
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2007, 06:16:35 pm »

But that's a ship weapon, and also, the Melnorme don't just trade in their goods, like the Shiva Furnace?

Skills will be available to the other races, just, not much Psi-types. Medical, yeah, but it'll use items and such...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length