The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:30:50 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  New crazy mod
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Print
Author Topic: New crazy mod  (Read 54430 times)
Elvish Pillager
Enlightened

View Profile
Re: New crazy mod
« Reply #105 on: August 19, 2008, 12:33:37 am »

Huh? Ships never spawn colliding with something, and the ZFP segments all appear in exactly the same place as the original ship.

My team of four Androsynth and three Chmmr is the most unfair team ever!
My mod
Shiver

Email
« Reply #106 on: August 19, 2008, 01:51:09 am »

I just had the ZFP crash my game as well when I selected it. The ship worked when the computer controlled it, so I don't know what the problem was. Also, I've noticed the ZFP front ship break away from its following segments by flying too fast (I think it collided with an asteroid in a weird way, but that could have just been a gravity whip) which probably isn't intended.
Valaggar Redux

Email
« Reply #107 on: August 19, 2008, 08:52:40 am »

In my game, the ZFP crashes even when the AI controls it, though seemingly less often.

Could this be due to having compiled the game with MinGW, similar to the voiceover bug/problem?
Elvish Pillager
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 19, 2008, 12:32:27 pm »

Also, I've noticed the ZFP front ship break away from its following segments by flying too fast (I think it collided with an asteroid in a weird way, but that could have just been a gravity whip) which probably isn't intended.
The way the game's physics work, it's essentially impossible to force the segments to stick together. There's various ways it can get pulled apart; it just comes together again afterwards.

Val, different compilers do have different errors. On the other hand, it's usually a matter of which bugs they let past. e.g. my compiler doesn't complain when you divide by zero (don't shoot a Mycon with an Arilou, by the way!)

Do any of these crashes happen in the middle of a round, or only when the ZFP warps in?

My mod
Dabir
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 19, 2008, 02:31:04 pm »

The way the game's physics work, it's essentially impossible to force the segments to stick together. There's various ways it can get pulled apart; it just comes together again afterwards.
That's how it works with the original Chmmr, so that's how it should work here.
Valaggar Redux

Email
« Reply #110 on: August 20, 2008, 08:45:17 am »

Do any of these crashes happen in the middle of a round, or only when the ZFP warps in?

Only immediately after the warp-in sequence is complete (at the point where you are supposed to gain control of the ship). Every now and then, though (rarely though. Unless it is the AI which pilots the ship, in which case the crashes are rare), for no apparent reason, the crash doesn't occur.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 08:48:37 am by Valaggah Redux » Logged
Elvish Pillager
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 20, 2008, 01:25:52 pm »

That's how it works with the original Chmmr, so that's how it should work here.
Huh? You mean its connection with its zap-sats?

1) They don't always stay with it - if you go really fast, they'll trail behind.
2) Even if they did, that would work only because the zap-sats can't collide with other objects.

My mod
Dabir
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 20, 2008, 02:30:50 pm »

That's exactly what I meant, yes. They eventually catch up.
Valaggar Redux

Email
« Reply #113 on: August 23, 2008, 03:39:16 pm »

Well, I fixed the Arilou-hits-Mycon semi-bug and the ZFP bug1, and also made a few edits to make the source friendlier to more compilers (namely, I moved some function prototypes outside any function, and I moved variable declarations to the top of their scope) because MSVC refused to compile it otherwise. Here's the new source. Here's the Win32 build.

1It was also caused by division by zero -- namely, when mag and cur_dx, or mag and cur_dy, were equal -- that is, when a segment and the next one in line would be in the exact same place in the next frame. I also applied the same thing to the "divisor" variable to avoid further crashes due to division by zero.

---

By the way, as the Arilou vs Mycon fight is a sure (but boring) win for the Mycon, shouldn't the Arilou be programmed to self-destruct when a Mycon is in the arena? Unless it's too difficult -- I tried to identify the Arilou based on the Arilou's StarShipPtr->RaceDescPtr->ship_data.ship[0] (as you can see in a comment in mycon_postprocess), but the condition, for some reason, failed to be true when I fired up Melee and set up an Arilou vs Mycon fight.
Elvish Pillager
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 23, 2008, 06:12:34 pm »

I am unable to download your new source. Thanks for finding the bug anyway - I'll be able to fix it properly now

I just wish I could get gcc to stop ignoring divide-by-zero errors

My mod
Valaggar Redux

Email
« Reply #115 on: August 27, 2008, 02:18:11 pm »

Are you still unable to download the source?
Elvish Pillager
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 27, 2008, 09:25:32 pm »

No.

You used a goto?! Blasphemer! Shocked Also, you got your order of operations wrong. Sad The game will still crash if the segments somehow manage to get exactly on top of each other when they're in motion.

Oh well; it should fix the game in 99% of cases.

My mod
Waylander
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 28, 2008, 11:40:34 am »

Wow just wow thats all I can say. I particularly liked the Shofixti carrier and the Spathi's Scattergun. I think perhaps though the ZFP is a little crazy, it crashed mine too but only the third time a ZFP spawned so maybe it is a little better. Maybe less ZFP in the snake will make crashes less likely? Oh and the computer plays Ur-Quan like a bitch he just sends like 500 fighters after you Tongue took me a few ships to take him down. All in all though it is really well done and the different weapon styles are lots of fun to mess with.

Maybe we can look at these weapons and use them to make the Torch playable in normal Net-play. I think that perhaps a shorter range with less dispersal version of the Spathi's scattergun would be pretty effective and get rid of the annoying 10 minute matches

Chaotic Good, the only real good alignment!
Valaggar Redux

Email
« Reply #118 on: August 28, 2008, 02:01:35 pm »

You used a goto?! Blasphemer! Shocked

Goto can be useful at times. It was the most elegant solution here, and it makes the code slightly more readable and slightly faster than the alternative (for the divisor == 0 check).

Also, you got your order of operations wrong.

Sorry, about that, fixed. (source, Win32 build)

the ZFP [...] crashed

Yeah, it's probably because of the oversight pointed out by EP above you. Now fixed (see above).

Oh and the computer plays Ur-Quan like a bitch he just sends like 500 fighters after you

Yeah, I even experience slowdowns at times when there are so many fighters.

Fighting an AI-controlled Ur-Quan:
- Guys who can win without taking damage: Pkunk (screw the primary -- just use the backwards tongue), Orz (stay away and let the marine get its way), Slylandro
- The Ur-Quan is defeated, but not without incurring grievous damage on, or killing, the other ship: Chmmr, Earthling (PD always on, stay far from the enemy and nuke him), Shofixti (just launch Scouts at the UQ, and at concentrations of fighters that are firing on you), Syreen, Umgah.
- Guys who usually lose, but damage the Ur-Quan a great deal (section probably incomplete): Arilou (due to the UQ hitting the planets more badly due to the speedlaser), Utwig (use shield against fighters, not energy spears!), Spathi.

------------------

Two minor suggestions for the mod:
- The Earthling's PD should be on if the special is NOT pressed instead of if it is pressed -- most of the time, you want to keep it on.
- The Arilou's speedlaser should change the enemy ship's icon just like VUX limpets do.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 02:28:12 pm by Jubal-lun-Sul » Logged
Resh Aleph
*Smell* controller

Rottem Tomatoes

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 28, 2008, 05:06:58 pm »

EP, are you planning on releasing a final version of this mod sometime? I'm wondering if I should wait for it.

Marines on Maulers and limpets on Earthlings  /  Bright Podship plasma and warm Kohr-Ah death rings  /
Shofixti Scouts doing gravity whips  /  These are a few of my favorite ships!
       © meep-eep
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length