The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:50:06 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  The Earthling Cruiser
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The Earthling Cruiser  (Read 1330 times)
matt_control
Zebranky food

View Profile
The Earthling Cruiser
« on: March 19, 2007, 01:27:24 am »

G'day All! How's it Going?

Recently have I found Star Control again. I haven't played it since I was a kid! It is so cool!

Anyway, I was thinking about the Earth Cruiser as a space ship. Inside I'd imagine it would be much like a submarine, but little things keep popping into my head. How long is it? What are the jobs of the 18 crew members? How many decks does the ship have? How many missiles can it carry at any one time?

Sorry, if this has been posted before. As I said I am new at this and I am curious.

All the Best!

Cheers Matt.
Valaggar

Email
Re: The Earthling Cruiser
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 02:28:17 pm »

About the scale part, this has been discussed extensively some time ago. Try this threads: Scale and the Earthling Cruiser.

They have come to the conclusion that SuperMelee is a more abstract representation of an actual battle (i.e. the ships fight one at a time etc.) and the ships aren't represented in the same scale there.
However, about some ships, you can approximate their sizes (the cruiser should be like a standard nuclear submarine, for example).

As to the jobs of the crew members - they're mostly there as hitpoints, but you can say that you can't automate everything, some things require human participation.
Some even don't agree that there are just 18 crewmembers, but, say, 1800 or so. Still, with all that automation, I don't think that there's need of so many men/women.
Plus, Fwiffo says:
I am undone! You are far too clever for a poor Spathi like me
and now I must submit to your superior, alien intellect.
I guess I am not revealing any truly important secrets if I tell you
that each of my species' Eluder-class Voidships typically holds 30 Spathi crewmen

I would link to http://starcontrol.classicgaming.gamespy.com/sc3d/ and also the SC3D section of http://starcontrol.classicgaming.gamespy.com.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length