The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:55:13 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  SuperMelee tournement
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: SuperMelee tournement  (Read 3986 times)
Galactus
Zebranky food

View Profile
SuperMelee tournement
« on: March 19, 2007, 06:11:06 pm »

Hey everyone!  I'm new to this forum, so forgive me if this has been discussed before.

I have been a HUGE fan of both SC and SC2 from the beginning!  I happened upon the UQM project around the release of v.50, and have been following it with great interest since then.  It's awesome to see so many people interested in this project!  Obviously with the release of v.60 there is the new net play option for Super Melee, which is like a dream come true for me.  Hopefully it serves to revive some interest in the game, and it also got me thinking.....

I would love to see some sort of online tournament sponsered by this site, or at the very least, some sort of player registration list / forum to make it easier to find online competition.  I think that sort of thing might really demonstrate the support for a new SC sequal beyond the petition that people are signing.  It would also kind of eliminate the need for people to travel great distances to get together to play SC, which is another post that I've seen here.  So, I guess I'm hoping that other players, and more importantly, the site admins read this post and think it's a good idea.  I think that eventually, if there is enough interest, and tournament participation grows, then some of the mods that are circulating could be incorporated into it as well.  Just a thought.

So, tell me what you think....good idea....bad idea?  Even if things do not pan out with the tournament, or the player list / forum, I'd love to hook up with a few people to play online!
Valaggar

Email
Re: SuperMelee tournement
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 06:18:25 pm »

Well, there is the #uqm-arena channel on irc.freenode.org (or was it .net?) that is used as a multiplayer lobby.
You can access it more easily on http://irc.uqm.stack.nl.
As to tournaments, there was the Pkunk Plate organized some months ago:
http://uqm.stack.nl/forum/index.php?topic=3455.0
Galactus
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 10:26:57 pm »

Thanks for the quick response!

Is that URL accurate (http://irc.uqm.stack.nl)?  I'm asking because I am unable to find the page.

Also, it seems that the tournament that you refer to has already run.  Not sure what the outcome was, or if it even ran successfully, but it looked fun.  I'm just thinking that if there was a page on this site that you could go to and set things up (rules,dates, etc), and post results, along with maybe a running leader board of stats for those that placed in the top 3, it would be something that would generate more interest and participation, than just the ad-hoc tourneys that are posted in the forums, or the irc channel.  It would also give some sense to newcomers that there is really a big fan base still out there actively playing the game.  Also, the tournament page could be something that is linked to an automated emailer (mailman) that would notify the people that registered of new events being posted.  If there was enough community interest, maybe it's something that could be run on a weekly basis, or something like that, on a more fixed schedule.

I just think that if things stay "underground" (not everyone uses irc), then fewer people are likely to participate.  The easier it is for people to get involved, then the more people will actually play, and I would love to see more people get involved and ultimately generate more support for writing a sequel.  Just my two cents....
jucce
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 01:22:13 am »

Thanks for the quick response!

Is that URL accurate (http://irc.uqm.stack.nl)?  I'm asking because I am unable to find the page.

Also, it seems that the tournament that you refer to has already run.  Not sure what the outcome was, or if it even ran successfully, but it looked fun.  I'm just thinking that if there was a page on this site that you could go to and set things up (rules,dates, etc), and post results, along with maybe a running leader board of stats for those that placed in the top 3, it would be something that would generate more interest and participation, than just the ad-hoc tourneys that are posted in the forums, or the irc channel.  It would also give some sense to newcomers that there is really a big fan base still out there actively playing the game.  Also, the tournament page could be something that is linked to an automated emailer (mailman) that would notify the people that registered of new events being posted.  If there was enough community interest, maybe it's something that could be run on a weekly basis, or something like that, on a more fixed schedule.

I just think that if things stay "underground" (not everyone uses irc), then fewer people are likely to participate.  The easier it is for people to get involved, then the more people will actually play, and I would love to see more people get involved and ultimately generate more support for writing a sequel.  Just my two cents....
Why not try to do something like that yourself? (Smiley) Implement those ideas and I'm sure people will be interested and helpful.
Cedric6014
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 01:55:20 am »

Hello Galactus!

I welcome your energies into the competitive melee area.

I organised a league (Chenjesu challenge) and a KO tournament (Pkunk Plate). I had plans for a calendar through-out the year based on a league running quarterly and a KO tourney running monthly.

However the entries for the pkunk plate were not great (four in total!). I was going to hold the Utwig Urn in March but i felt that the numbers werent quite right for a meaningful competition. I still intend to hold a league in very early april though so hopefully we can get a few more show up for that (the Kohr--ah Cup!). I have even compiled official results from offficial games (on a spreadsheet no less!). I have tried to goad my brother into building an online home for my tournaament endeavours (with tournament rules/KO trees etc) but he's a slack-ass.

My goal has been to run competition on Saturday afternoon US time, Sat evening europe time. You might have more luck with a league that runs weekday evenings. I cannot do this as I live in a strange time zone and weekday evenings for most people is weekday middle-of-the night for me (i have job).

I fear though that lust for online SC2 is waning as the uqm-arena as been quiet of late.

A forum would be the best way to get people to play. the current route to meleeville is prohibitive to people who cant be assed with IRC. building a forum, however, is a LOT of work and very difficult. I'm sure Meep-Eep could tell you all about this.

By the way, I also agree that online melee would have broad public appeal and be an ideal way to generate hype for a Star Control sequel.

Your posting has spurred me to new levels of motivation. Maybe I'll attempt to hold the Utwig Urn early April

Play online melee here! http://irc.uqm.stack.nl/
jucce
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 02:50:19 am »

You don't have to make the forum, there are free versions you can download and even sites with forums already hosted on them you can sign up on.
http://www.proboards.com/index.html
http://www.phpbb.com/
Galactus
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 02:58:42 am »

Hey there Cedric!

I would not get too discouraged yet, if I were you.  After all, the network melee option has not been out there for too long.  I'm sure that there are tons of avid SC fans out there that don't even know that this project exists, much less the new network melee option.

I love your ideas for monthly tournaments.  Not sure how the league would work, but I'm all for participating in anything that gets me some time playing against actual humans.  I've only had the cyborg opponent to keep me company for so many years.  This network option is like a breath of fresh air.  I feel like a kid again.  So, whatever you are able to organize, you can count me in!  I'm also trying to get one, or two, of my coworkers to get into this.  Just remember, everything worthwhile takes a little work.

Just read jucce's post....that is a thought as well.  We could do the forum thing for the melees, or build a simple site with schedules/results/rankings, or both....

I have a web server that we can use to post results, even if they are in the form of a spreadsheet right now.  I can extract the data and put it into an HTML table.  I think that it would be cool to come up with some sort of ranking system too.  My philosophy is if you build it, than they will come.  I think the movie was right.  If something was there, and crafted with some thought, then people would participate.  The only thing that I have against something like that, is that it gets away from the idea of "one-stop-shopping".  That's why I think that it would be nice if we could post that kind of thing on this site.  However, I guess a link would do for starters.

Anyway, just some thoughts.  Let me know what you think.  I have a job and a new family too, but I'd be willing to put some work into promoting a great project like this one.

meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 05:10:12 am »

We could add a mailing list to the project at SourceForge for netplay talk, if there's enough interest. The advantage of a mailing list is that once subscribed, people get reminded of UQM whenever a mail comes in, while not everyone checks the UQM forum regularly.

As for "a new forum", adding another section for netplay talks is possible, but with the small amount of netplay discussions atm, I don't think we should do it; too many sections makes this forum look less active than it is, and people are less likely to post on less active forums (or so I would think).
A thread in the "General discussion" section is good enough for now imo.

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
Galactus
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 06:06:40 am »

The mailing list could work, but maybe it should be set up for tournament announcements only.  I mean, if it sent an email to everyone on the list everytime that someone wanted to play a game, then that could be too much email.  I guess the reason for the forum would be more for the ad-hoc requests, as an alternative to the irc option.  If that was really the focus of it, I'm wondering if it would matter that there were a lower number of postings?  People could just post their upcoming availabilty for netplay.  The good part about posting availabilty for net play in a forum would be that it stays up there, even when you are not logged in, as opposed to the irc channel.  Also, people could check the forum from work, and companies like mine block access to irc.  I guess if participation was low over time, then the forum could always be removed, am I right?  Again, I think that the netplay thing is still in its infancy, and needs some time to grow.

Would you be willing to try it on a trial basis, meep-eep?
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 07:41:38 am »

Yeah, a mailing list would not be for individual matchups, or to help people set up their routers for netplay.

IRC being blocked does not have to be a problem; on http://irc.uqm.stack.nl/ you can connect to our IRC channel through your browser.

I don't see the point of having a separate board for Netplay-related discussions right now. It's not as if the General Discussion board is overflowing with Netplay-related threads.

when the Creators return
Galactus
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 09:48:08 pm »

OK, so....no on the seperate forum, and a yes on the mailing list for the scheduling of tournaments only.  Is that right?

If so, how soon would you be able to get the mailing list set up?  I think that Cedric is planning another tournament for early April.
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 10:15:35 pm »

I'll talk about the mailing list with the other core team members. If they agree, and there is enough interest (speak up!), creating the actual mailing list doesn't have to take much time.

when the Creators return
Galactus
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2007, 11:25:55 pm »

When you say speak up, what exactly do you mean?  Will they be polling the community to guage interest in the mailing list at some point?  Or, will the mailing list be created, and then the amount of content dictate if it survives going forward?
Cedric6014
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2007, 03:18:01 am »

I think Meep-Eep is banking on enough folks to read this thread and cry out with enthusiasm

Play online melee here! http://irc.uqm.stack.nl/
countchocula86
*Smell* controller

Culture 20!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2007, 03:30:48 am »

I'm always up for sc fun

I like to think you killed a man. It's the romantic in me.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length