The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:56:20 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Starbase Café (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Expanding Earth Theory
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Expanding Earth Theory  (Read 5459 times)
RTyp06
*Smell* controller

View Profile
Expanding Earth Theory
« on: April 01, 2007, 03:24:16 pm »

http://www.youtube.com:80/watch?v=VjgidAICoQI

Is it possible?

He even has more vedio where he trys to expand this idea to all planets and moons using images from the moon, mars, ganymede and europa:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=nealadamsdotcom

AngusThermopyle
*Smell* controller

A paranoid android.

View Profile
Re: Expanding Earth Theory
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 03:48:09 pm »

Very interesting indeed. What force does he attribute to Earth's growing size?

And if every celestial body is indeed growing, when does it stop growing? Surely there is only so much mass any given planet or sun has to grow with.
Lurker
Frungy champion

The Lurker from *Below*

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 08:04:54 am »

This theory is nowadays regarded as obsolete by most scientists. It has only a few supporters.

Where is the planet when you need it? Straight in front of you. *Crash*

Also, I hate asteroids.
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 06:49:07 pm »

Obsolete? Pshaw. It's so screwed up that 'obsolete' cannot apply to it, as that would imply it had a heyday.

The principal observation used is that the sea floor on the western coast of the US is young.

That's because there's an expansion zone right next to the subduction zone, with the Farallon plate in between. So that's a wash, there. The Atlantic expansion is balanced by subduction off the coast of Asia.

The question evaporates as soon as you zoom in enough to see the details.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 09:58:37 pm by Death 999 » Logged
RTyp06
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 03:27:00 am »

Obsolete? Pshaw. It's so screwed up that 'obsolete' cannot apply to it, as that would imply it had a heyday.

The principal observation used is that the sea floor on the western coast of the US is young.

That's because there's an expansion zone right next to the subduction zone, with the Farallon plate in between. So that's a wash, there. The Atlantic expansion is balanced by subduction off the coast of Asia.

The question evaporates as soon as you zoom in enough to see the details.

Actually, subduction is largely theoretical and doesn't have the concrete, large scale evidence that the expansion zones have. One thing though is that they don't try to explain the "ring of fire", the volcanic hot spots that ring the Pacific.

Even though I don't agree with this expanding earth theory, it's not completely infeasable. After all, the earth was thought to condense from the dust disk and grew larger and larger for at least 1 billion years. We also know that crystals do grow in volume, although this would perhaps increase size, not mass. And more mass is needed if the theory's predicted increase in earth's gravational force was responsible for the realitively huge size of dinosaurs to today's animals.

Here's some more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expanded_earth_theory
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 03:30:53 am by RTyp06 » Logged
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 03:46:13 pm »

I think that this firmly establishes how much credence we need to allot you on scientific matters.
countchocula86
*Smell* controller

Culture 20!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 02:17:36 am »

I only watched a bit of this link, but is the jist of that subduction doesn't happen? Thats kinda funny, to me anyways, because I was watching a video about the 2004 tsunami and how it started because of a subduction.

I like to think you killed a man. It's the romantic in me.
RTyp06
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 01:53:19 am »

I only watched a bit of this link, but is the jist of that subduction doesn't happen? Thats kinda funny, to me anyways, because I was watching a video about the 2004 tsunami and how it started because of a subduction.

Yes, it is thought that the 2004 Tsunami happened at a subduction zone. And there is evidence for subduction around the world. The expanding earth theorists are claiming that there isn't enough areas of subduction to counter the expansion zones and maintain a stable earth size. In essence, there must be equal amounts of both expansion and subduction to maintain a constant globe size.

We have direct, overwhelming evidence of expansion rifts that run through the entire pacific and atlantic oceans. This is not disputed.  We have evidence of subduction, but it is much more localized and spotty.  Subduction areas are often simply theorized due to deep earthquake activity and we have no real way to tell if subduction is really diving crust back into the mantle. That coupled with the young ages of the ocean's floors as well as the seemingly exact match of continental coastlines across the pacific and atlantic, they postulate this expansion theory.

My issue with this theory is the  "ring of fire" that rims the pacific and resulting volcanic mountain ranges such as the cascades, rockies and andes mountains. I think this may be fair evidence for subduction on a grand scale. I don't know how they would explain this.
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 04:38:23 pm »

Well, considering that the subduction would be happening at the very bottom of the ocean where we can't go, it seems reasonable that we haven't seen it.

You can consider the ring of fire.

I'll stick with conservation of mass.
Zeep-Eeep
Enlightened

Good Grief

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 06:06:29 am »

The video was well done, but skips over some details. Details which make the expanding Earth theory seem
a bit silly. Nice graphical model.

What sound does a penguin make?
RTyp06
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 03:50:32 pm »

Zeep, if you think the first video was silly, check out this one he just added several days ago about why the dinosurs died off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdavRmR-2YE

Now that is silly...
countchocula86
*Smell* controller

Culture 20!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 12:50:25 am »

His theories seem to over simplify things, like he avoids key points (as Rtype mentioned before for the Expanding Earth theory, that he doesnt explain the ring of fire, and here he doesn't really give a lot of details on anything)

I like to think you killed a man. It's the romantic in me.
RTyp06
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 02:28:37 am »

I took the liberty to add comments at UTube to this guys expanding earth video. He actually responded. Man this guy is somthing. For a good chuckle, read through some of the comments left by him and others.

LoL

http://www.youtube.com:80/watch?v=VjgidAICoQI
Gaeamil
Frungy champion

Dragon of the Zeep-Zeep clan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2007, 08:51:04 am »

This theory just seems to me to be crap.  If a planet grows, it's got to gain mass.  Unless it explains gas giants by that too.  But if it does gain mass, were does it come from?  And then, how does it stay in its orbit?  It'd have to either be sped up along its path or be pushed "up" in the gravity well. So we hould have already spiraled into the sun.  How nice.

Quote from: Valaggar
I tend to swallow some worlds at times.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length