The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:25:33 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Yehat finally remixed
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Yehat finally remixed  (Read 10350 times)
Mormont
*Smell* controller

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
Re: Yehat finally remixed
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2007, 06:51:41 pm »

I don't mind waiting as long as I know that you guys are still working on it (I was worried before that you'd abandoned the project).
countchocula86
*Smell* controller

Culture 20!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2007, 09:42:32 pm »

Yeah, its good to get the occaisonal update, even if its like "we tried a remix, but weren't satisifed"

I like to think you killed a man. It's the romantic in me.
Censored
Enlightened

Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2007, 10:09:10 pm »

I liked that mysterious silence.

turning off SC2 music? and above all, the Yehat theme??
that's sick dude!!

Tongue

"You boldly enter our space! Approach this Dreadnought as though it were a recreation base and then play the dumb hominid?
Who do you take us for, Captain... Spathi!?"
Valaggar

Email
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2007, 10:21:39 pm »

When I finished the game, I turned on the music. You know, it needed not be as mysterious anymore.
tadaa
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2007, 10:46:17 pm »

Hey,

Thanks for listening & commenting new Yehat (years late) -remix.
Looks like there are many different opinions of the remix - some say it's awesome, and some would like it slower and even backwards... You're crazy ! Grin

Well, hopefully the release was a happy surprise to you anyway ! As you can see The PRECURSORS are not dead, we were just sleeping.

The remix was really a pain to remix. However I think it turned out quite good ... and it wins for sure all the previous versions we have done so far (damn, we have tried to mix it something like 10 times!!!). I am also happy that it is finally *done* after long wait !

So, keep on commenting, and thanks so far !

- Riku  Cool

ps. why the song is at www.mikseri.net/tadaa ? TÄDÄÄ (tadaa) is a new musical project between Riku & Harri. So, if you like our music, check out the site also later. Riku's and Harri's future co-op releases (not always UQM related) will be there online ! Did you like "The Colony" by the way?
Thor Kilwin
Zebranky food

Timber Wolf

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2007, 11:00:20 pm »

I'm a relative new comer to SC, i first played uqm soon after 0.4.0 or something. even to my abjective ears the original yehat theme  did seem to capture the feel of their story quite well. apon listenning to it again just now i noticed that it did have an almost subliminal "scottishiness" to it, not necessarily in the instruments but in the melody and also in some parts of the tempo. overall i say use a  tempo more similar in style to the original, use more traditional scottish instruments, like bagpipes, keep the melody at the forefront and accent it with the harsh heavy terminator-esqu techno sounds like in the original to reflect the technological aspect of their culture.
sure it would just sound like a higher qual version of the original, but so what. the new remix is a good piece of music and should be used somehow, it just shouldn't be their only or main theme.

"There are four lights" -Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
Cedric6014
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2007, 12:41:59 am »

That explains why I don't think of "proud, warlike Starship Clans": I used to turn off the music when speaking to aliens.

Good heavens man! SC2 is not SC2 without alien music! Who can forget the coolness of the Commander Hayes music when you first show up at earth, or the bizzareness of the slylandro music when you bizzarly find them on a gas giant. There is no dubt that it enhanced the game's awesome first impressions.

As for the remix, I agree with everything Simon K said a few posts back. - I also I agree with what TilT said is response. Strange is it not?

Its a quality piece of music, that offers more, in some ways than the original. On the down side it take a while to get into it and the melody is not as prominent as it could be.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 01:04:17 am by Cedric6014 » Logged

Play online melee here! http://irc.uqm.stack.nl/
Draxas
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2007, 03:49:05 am »

I like it. While I admit it took until about 1:45 to actually be able to recognize the melody, once it got there, I thought it was pretty cool. Like many others, I'll echo the sentiment that it was not what I was expecting, but that doesn't make it any less good.

The Colony was pretty neat, too. Is that a remix or an original piece (suffice to say, I can't read what's written on the site, and if it's a remix, I didn't recognize the source).

On a final note, I will say that anyone who plays SC2 with the music turned off is a crackhead. That's a crime against nature!
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2007, 12:23:06 pm »

The Colony was pretty neat, too. Is that a remix or an original piece (suffice to say, I can't read what's written on the site, and if it's a remix, I didn't recognize the source).
You didn't spot the language selection box in top right corner, I gather. English version here, anyway.

On a final note, I will say that anyone who plays SC2 with the music turned off is a crackhead. That's a crime against nature!
The only times I turned off the music was in HyperSpace (which was a bit slow on a 386SX20 with Sound Blaster music on) after hearing the same tune thousands of times.

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
Valaggar

Email
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2007, 02:24:49 pm »

Hey, I didn't say that I play it with music turned off. I said that I played it like this when I played it for the first time.
Draxas
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2007, 04:22:51 pm »

You didn't spot the language selection box in top right corner, I gather. English version here, anyway.

Nope, guess I should be a bit more perceptive. Thanks.

The only times I turned off the music was in HyperSpace (which was a bit slow on a 386SX20 with Sound Blaster music on) after hearing the same tune thousands of times.

Same song thousands of times, maybe I can understand (I never got tired of it, though). However, my friend was playing the game on a 286, and it sounded fine (the rest of the game was slow as hell, though. It's amazing how much certain ships gain and lose usefulness on a really slow computer). I don't know if the music speed was different because he was using the internal speaker (which I was shocked could actually even play music at all, at least music that didn't consist of beeps and boops).
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2007, 05:04:54 pm »

Nope, guess I should be a bit more perceptive. Thanks.
I guess Riku should learn to link to the English version of pages when posting on international boards. Grin

Same song thousands of times, maybe I can understand (I never got tired of it, though). However, my friend was playing the game on a 286, and it sounded fine (the rest of the game was slow as hell, though. It's amazing how much certain ships gain and lose usefulness on a really slow computer). I don't know if the music speed was different because he was using the internal speaker (which I was shocked could actually even play music at all, at least music that didn't consist of beeps and boops).
Sorry, I meant HyperSpace travel was slow, not the music. The way SC2 uses the Sound Blaster (every single byte in the audio stream transmitted separately at the right time by the CPU, urgh!), there is little difference in CPU load between Sound Blaster and PC speaker music (and, for similar reasons, little difference in sound quality; for example, I remember that the playback speed went crazy like a jammed tape recorder every time the game touched the disk).

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
Simon K
Frungy champion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2007, 09:09:20 pm »

Actually, the first time I heard the Yehat tune was when I played through UQM --- I never had Star Control II; it wasn't released for the Amiga* to my knowledge, and when I switched over to PCs like the rest of the world, I decided to run Linux --- with no Star Control II available until UQM.

But I played SC1 on the C64 (C64 SC1 was a very poor implementation, by the way) when I was young, and I remember that reading through the manual would send my imagination flying: Here was a computer game universe that was potentially as elaborately thought out as some of the science fiction books I read.

I partly agree with TiLT: Nostalgia definitely has something to do with it, although in my case it was nostalgia for my very own image of the Yehat in SC1. Still, there is something to the melody itself, as well as the choice of instruments, that makes it fit well with the Yehat: I mean, you could hardly imagine the Spathi or Umgah melody for them, or even the Ilwrath or Thraddash.

I guess remixing this particular tune is a bitch; it seems to evoke strong feelings in pretty much everyone.

*) Now, the memories I have with that machine is pretty much the primary cause of me turning into a wretched mass of computing nostalgia every now and then....

Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
Galactic
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2007, 05:58:47 pm »

I think this remix is good and fits Yehat, but is not as good as the original. Smiley
BTW there's some strange voice somewhere at 00.50; I hahve no idea what that is for.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 06:01:43 pm by Galactic » Logged
Censored
Enlightened

Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2007, 12:19:26 pm »

Probably a subliminal message.

"YOU ARE FILTH. YOU MUST BE CLEANSED."

"You boldly enter our space! Approach this Dreadnought as though it were a recreation base and then play the dumb hominid?
Who do you take us for, Captain... Spathi!?"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length