The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:19:59 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  The missing dialog
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The missing dialog  (Read 2857 times)
Mormont
*Smell* controller

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
The missing dialog
« on: April 15, 2007, 05:50:04 am »

I really think it's important that this gets added. I know there's no voicework for it, but I think having a few lines unvoiced is worse than not knowing early on that you're under a time limit, or not knowing the Mycon homeworld without the Melnorme, or not being told about the Utwig by the Supox. This isn't a couple of missing jokes or story we're talking about. This is important gameplay stuff.

In fact, the missing dialogue is the one reservation I have about reccommending it to everyone on a couple of forums I visit. I think it's that important to the game. Yes, there are other sources for this information, but I think it's important how in SC2 most essential locations and info have at least two leads. It's easy for people to get stuck or not necessarily know about the time limit without this dialogue in the game.

Seriously, are there any plans to add this in a future build? I think it's a big deal. You could have a crew report of information being transmitted after the conversation or something if the team really feels having the lines voice is that important.
countchocula86
*Smell* controller

Culture 20!

View Profile
Re: The missing dialog
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 06:03:44 am »

Another topic on that vein:

http://uqm.stack.nl/forum/index.php?topic=3508.0

I like to think you killed a man. It's the romantic in me.
Valaggar

Email
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 09:54:03 am »

From what I understood, meep-eep is planning to include the missing text (without speech of course) in the next UQM release (0.7.0) - sometime in January 2008.
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 04:07:09 pm »

No, what I said was that if it's up to me, the text will be included in the next release, which is still a long time off.
I didn't say:
- that I've talked it over with the rest of the core team, and that they agreed. Although I suspect they will. I did talk it over with one of them, and he agrees.
- Januari 2008. I don't know where you got that date.

And when I made that remark, I was talking about the missing Mycon text, not all of the missing text. I wasn't very clear, and the thread subject was about "Adding the missing text" in general, but when I made the remark, the discussion was about the Mycon text. That is not to say that the other missing text won't be included; it will just be looked at on a case by case basis.

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
Valaggar

Email
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 04:16:01 pm »

Alright, so they will probably agree, so let's be optimistic and say that they'll agree. Why not, in fact?

Quote from: meep-eep
- Januari 2008. I don't know where you got that date.
It was just a guesstimate. About 9 months passed between 0.5.0 and 0.6.0/0.6.2, and between 0.4.0 and 0.5.0. This meant January 2007 + 9 months = October 2007. I added 3 months just in case, but let's be optimistic and say that 0.8.0 will be released in October this year. OK.

Quote from: meep-eep
And when I made that remark, I was talking about the missing Mycon text, not all of the missing text.
WHAT?! Why wouldn't you add EVERY missing line? Just because no one is annoyed by the non-Mycon missing ones?
You know, adding missing lines is made to increase the game's enjoyment. So there's no difference between Mycon missing lines and, say, the MetaChron or the Arilou missing line... or the Utwig one.
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 04:28:41 pm »

There's a trade-off between the usefulness and/or extra enjoyment of the extra lines, and the annoyance of dialog without speech. If people won't miss some extra line, imho, it's better to leave it out.

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
Valaggar

Email
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 05:29:28 pm »

Hmm... well, indeed, if anyway we don't have speech for those.

Apropos, I've come across an idea of yours in the 2003 Efnet #sc-2 chat, involving "creative cut&pasting from other spoken text" - a bit like the hilarious splicing I did a while back, but only individual words.
I mean, instead of "But it is not the source.
Juffo-Wup springs forth from 629.1, 220.8."
there could be an exchange of replies between the [[Mycon]] communications monitor and [[The Captain]]. Like this:
Mycon: This is a special place
filled with Juffo-Wup.
Zelnick: OK, so what?!
Mycon: It is not the homeworld. ("It is not the" from my spliced "It is not the source", "homeworld" from "home" + "world". It'll sound acceptable, and there wouldn't be any speech nearby for comparison, since the whole sentence is spliced.)
Zelnick: Where's that?
Mycon: 629.1, 220.8. (no voice; after all there are just coordinates)
Mormont
*Smell* controller

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 11:26:22 pm »

I think it's very important for new players to be told about the metachron as well. Yes, the ZFP eventually tell you that the war will end in X years, but the metachron is a more concrete indicator that you're on a limit. Plus, you meet the Melnorme near the very beginning, while it may be a long time before a player goes to the ZFP homeworld.  I also think the Syreen telling you the original location of Syra is pretty important.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 04:10:00 pm by JWJ » Logged
Valaggar

Email
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 02:32:42 pm »

I think Talana telling you the location of Syra is not necessary. Generally, you anyway should buy some information about this from the Melnorme.
But anyway, maybe the core team will agree with this too. Don't forget, though, that you shouldn't unnerve them - they've already quite agreed to add the missing Mycon dialogue, we wouldn't want them to renege their words.

The MetaChron - yes, JWJ, you've just - hit - the - spot - hee... -erre.. - sorry, I'm experiencing a small wave of seismic oscillations.
The MetaChron dialogue IS an important thing for new players.
After all, don't forget - there are thousands of lines in Star Control 2, two or three lines without speech shouldn't be a problem.  Smiley
DavidPartay
Zebranky food

Sir Donsalot

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 07:11:51 am »

Speech?  Who cares about speech? :p

I spent YEARS playing the PC version of SC2.  I slaved away at creating custom autoexec.bat and config.sys files so that I could actually have my under-powered computer RUN the game.  I didn't care about speech!

If you can read, you don't need the computer reading the conversations out to you Wink.  Besides, I can read faster than computer games tend to speak and I'm sure a lot of other people are the same way.
Valaggar

Email
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2007, 01:29:07 pm »

Yeah, the speed annoys me too. But the speech is funny to listen to.
And there are at least SOME people that use it, and for sure all the newbies.
countchocula86
*Smell* controller

Culture 20!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2007, 06:20:00 pm »

If someone were to create a mod with all the current speech + the missing text(with no speech, just plain text) that would rock. (No extra speech Valaggar Tongue Grin )

I like to think you killed a man. It's the romantic in me.
Valaggar

Email
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2007, 06:51:57 pm »

What?! What extra speech are you talking about?!
(Anyway, my silly "missing dialogue" addon was fun to make... and to listen to)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length