The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:33:53 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Recompile by CVS?!?!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Recompile by CVS?!?!  (Read 2231 times)
FluX

Email
Recompile by CVS?!?!
« on: January 05, 2003, 06:29:26 am »

Im reading throught the forums here, and ppl say to recompile by CVS, well how does one go about getting the files VIA CVS if they are not a part of the Dev team?

I Have tried downloading CVS and using the command: cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/sc2 login

then pressing enter like it says when it asks for a pw ... then i get the error message that anonymous access isnt allowed... WTF.. am i doing something wrong, I also have tried to use WinCVS, but that program appears to be for the developer who wishes to update revision histories and code they are working on..

So the question that stands: "How does the normal anonymous user download the code posted on sourceforge using this CVS system?"
Nic.

Email
Re: Recompile by CVS?!?!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2003, 06:44:16 am »

I Have tried downloading CVS and using the command: cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/sc2 login

You're asking the wrong server; you want cvs.sc2.sourceforge.net, not cvs.sourceforge.net.

So the login command should look like this
Code:
cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.sc2.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/sc2 login

...and hit Enter when asked for a password.
FluX

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2003, 08:30:28 am »

Ok,, thanks for that bit of info.... next in CVS it needs a module name and location on the server... however i've been looking throught the 1.0 source from the .tar and the CVS files, and nothing... what module name do i feed it so i can compare what i have locally to the CVS server and update whatever is nessesary??

Thanks!
Nic.

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2003, 08:53:03 am »

Ha!  You're giving CVS far too much credit -- in order to "update" in the manner you describe, (i.e., without doing a full checkout first) it will UPLOAD your entire tree to the server, in order to build all of your CVS/Entries files.

This often makes the server crabby, and is always really slow.  (how do I know this?  I'd rather not discuss that Wink)

You are much better off nuking your existing tree and getting a fresh one from CVS:

Code:
cvs -z6 -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.sc2.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/sc2 checkout sc2

And I suppose for posterity, I'll mention that once you have the full tree checked out, the command to fetch updates is

Code:
cvs -q -z6 update -d -P

from the top-level directory you checked out from.  Proper use of .cvsrc files can trim that down to just "cvs up", but I'll leave that up to y'all..
« Last Edit: January 05, 2003, 09:03:12 am by Nic. » Logged
FluX

Email
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2003, 02:33:38 pm »

Thanks for all the help!!!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length