The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:43:00 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  "Polishing" the Yehat AND VUX Voices
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: "Polishing" the Yehat AND VUX Voices  (Read 4896 times)
Neonlare
*Smell* controller

Nut Case for Star Control

View Profile
"Polishing" the Yehat AND VUX Voices
« on: April 23, 2007, 12:02:04 am »

Now, I recall the first time I met the Yehat, cool music, great looking race. And then they spoke. They had an annoying high pitch voice, which kind of gratted on my ears, and it was obvious that the recording was dodgy.

I've been editing these about (inspiration from Valagar's Mycon Voice thing) and found out that it can easily be improved. By slowing down the pitch by 15% the voice turns from slightly weedy, to more warrior like, and more scottish.

Now personally, I like the idea of the microphone sounds, it makes it feel as if they are actually speaking to you, not just a recorded message. but, I didn't think it was done too well, so I added a slight echo effect, making seem more like a transmission.

Welp, here's included 10 samples I've completed in editing, I'll fix up the rest when I can. I hope these are alright Smiley.

http://www.savefile.com/files/664595
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 03:52:21 pm by Neonlare » Logged

"would newton's law theory actually work if a Chmmr Avatar did a backwards pelvic thrust towards a planet and would this constitute an X=Y-0 in the part it ran straight into a Supox Blade and lasted long enough to survive?" - Elerium (as Valaggar)
Valaggar

Email
Re: "Polishing" the Yehat Voice
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 02:55:38 pm »

We love you, Neonlare!  Smiley

Though I must say, the Yehat voice is my favourite UQM voice, I don't feel the need for it to be polished. Especially in this way.
Echo is best for Kzer-Za, I had already done such an add-on, but not uploaded it. I'll upload it in a few moments (sorry to those who must go to bed due to inconvenient time zone  Grin).

EDIT: Here it is: http://ceruopran.googlepages.com/Reverb-UrQ.zip
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 03:16:17 pm by Valaggar » Logged
Neonlare
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 05:05:05 pm »

The Yehat voice was my favourite too, but I felt that they went overboard in pitching up the actors voice (I'm slowing it down and I've hit his natural voice tone, and it sounds a hell lot more warrior like to me :/).

"would newton's law theory actually work if a Chmmr Avatar did a backwards pelvic thrust towards a planet and would this constitute an X=Y-0 in the part it ran straight into a Supox Blade and lasted long enough to survive?" - Elerium (as Valaggar)
Galactic
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 05:29:21 pm »

My favourite voice was the Druuge.
Neonlare
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 07:28:47 pm »

COMPLETED Cheesy.

http://www.badongo.com/file/2842872

Hope you enjoy Smiley.

Also, that Ur-Quan revamp turns the sinister knob up to 11, that's awesome :O.
What's up with Urqua008 to Urqua000 though? The voice is a lot different...

Wow, the Ur-Quan, although they're slavers, they do treat their subjects fairly. I didn't really talk to them in game, from what I hear of this sound clips, they would only "punish" the leaders, which was by death (fair enough).

Valaggar

Email
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 07:44:40 pm »

Ah, I knew something was wrong with Ur-Quan 000 to 008 - I think I used as the raw material for that clips my previous Ur-Quan voice remastering, which pitched them up. So Urq 000 to 008 need +3 semitones or so, or better yet a re-editing. I'm doing it.

OK, I'm done. Now, if you re-download the add-on, it'll be fixed.
Valaggar

Email
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 08:15:58 pm »

Um... err... sorry to have misjudged you without actually hearing the completed version, but... you know... now that I've actually used you've REALLY done a brilliant work. The voice is much better this way. I'm going to use it.

Thumbs up for Neonlare.
Neonlare
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 08:17:53 pm »

Yays! I absolutely LOATHED the bit where the actor licks his lips before he screams "THE SHOFIXTI ARE ALIVE!" because it makes the whole situation really anti climatic, so I editied a bit of a gasp out (when he gasps for air in the same sentance).

I'm glad you enjoy it, I might edit the VUX voice (I hate the over the top pitch they have :S).

Valaggar

Email
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 08:31:39 pm »

I'm sorry to contradict you on this one, Neonlare, but I personally think that the VUX voice must be re-recorded from scratch.

I mean, while playing the original Star Control 2, I AVOIDED encounters with VUX with a passion 'cause they unnerved me SO much with their disgusting appearance, insinuating dialogue and VERY repulsive font (especially the font).
The current voice just COMPLETELY nullifies the effect.
If you want voice acting for the VUX, a calm, insinuating and high pitched voice is what you need.
Neonlare
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2007, 08:48:02 pm »

http://www.savefile.com/files/675547

Sample so far...
I'm trying to go for a stereo-typical Monster Alien voice used for the B-movies, since it's rather aparant that they got their inspiration from some Alien from one of thoose movies Cheesy.

Valaggar

Email
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2007, 01:33:22 pm »

Wow, it's the best thing you could do to the VUX voice except re-recording it. Good job so far.
Neonlare
*Smell* controller

View Profile
Re: "Polishing" the Yehat AND VUX Voices
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2007, 04:58:39 pm »

Finished doing the VUX voices, here they are (I made ZEX's voice deeper than the others to distinguish him from them Smiley ).

Now all I need is a perminant domain to store these on :S.

http://www.badongo.com/file/2889618

Valaggar

Email
Re: "Polishing" the Yehat AND VUX Voices
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2007, 08:07:39 pm »

I've stored those already at a world where one species is the dominant killer
one's only threat is one's brother, one's sister, anyone of one's species... oops, my clipboard is still occupied by that quote.  Cheesy No, I mean at http://ceruopran.googlepages.com/Neonlare_Yehat.zip and http://ceruopran.googlepages.com/Neonlare_VUX.zip.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length