The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 08:14:30 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  IRC chat with Toys for Bob on 2007-06-13
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: IRC chat with Toys for Bob on 2007-06-13  (Read 46443 times)
waywardoctagon
*Many bubbles*

More information...

View Profile
Re: IRC chat with Toys for Bob on 2007-06-13
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2007, 01:55:18 am »

I have one--do you guys have pretty clear mental pictures of the various alien races, outside of what you can see in the in-game animations?

Clear enough.  Why do you ask?

Well, now I know I should start compiling my list of vaguely anatomy-related questions (such as what Spathi shells look like) to suggest.  Wheehee!
guesst
Enlightened

Ancient Shofixti Warrior

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2007, 04:15:37 am »

You know, I was going to make a statement, after Fred's previous post, about the fact that Fred probably wasn't soliciting for questions in this thread.

And then he goes and answers the questions in this thread. Glad edited before posting.

My only question is this: How likely is another Star Control game by TFB? Actually, I'd be happy with anything non-liscenced. Unholy Wars 2, the Horde 2 (how old is that guy who acted in that now?) or something new.

A new game and it's code each week. Please visit Cymon's Games
Valaggar

Email
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2007, 08:56:08 am »

Anatomical questions:
How do the Zoq-Fot-Pik move?
I think that the Zoq eats rocky fungal clingers, the Fot feeds on solar and ambient energies, and the Pik on airborne zooplankton. Is that so?
In your view, do the Zoq resemble more a plant or a frog?
Aren't the Druuge captains' arms painful from so much clinging in chains?
Is Yehat-Pkunk crossbreeding possible?
I suppose that some of the Umgahs' tentacles, mouths and eyes are artificially added. If so, then how should they naturally look like?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 08:38:47 pm by Valaggar » Logged
Tiberian
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2007, 10:00:49 am »

Do we even know, which creature really is the Fot?

Author of Star Control novelizations Groombridge Log and Eternal Doctrine. http://www.tommisalminenbooks.com
waywardoctagon
*Many bubbles*

More information...

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2007, 10:36:43 am »

Yep!  It's the one in the middle, says the code.  I think the Zoq's on the left and the Pik's on the right.
Megagun
Enlightened

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2007, 11:29:35 am »

I hope you do realise, though, that the code is non-canon in this case?

There are, in life, various things that make coding, and especially coding with multiple people on one project, difficult. One of them is not having a proper wording for variables and such. OFCOURSE, the code could say ZFP_guyinthemiddle instead of Fot, but we all know that once they decide that to the code, Fot equals ZFP_guyinthemiddle, using Fot is a lot easier. Smiley

So, to the code, the Fot is the guy in the middle, yet to game canon or game story, we simply don't know who is the Fot. Giving that the other two guys are constantly arguing about who is the Fot, it's probably the guy in the middle, since he can't say he's the Fot! Tongue
Valaggar

Email
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2007, 11:55:02 am »

Meep-eep's opinion is that they did make a conscious decision here (see here), and anyway it's simpler for me to name the guy on the left "Zoq", especially since Fred knows how he named it in the code, no matter that this is the canon name or not.
waywardoctagon
*Many bubbles*

More information...

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2007, 12:13:18 pm »

And yet, how much can you separate the code from the experience of the game?  Is it not similar to separating math from physics?  Or the stream from the water?

If you squint just right it's like a koan of some sort. Wink

But I concede that it's a valid point.

And yet, there remains a deeper and more worrying question about this issue:  How, and why did they lose track?  Or did they at all?  Was there ever a fixed Zoq, Fot, and Pik, or have they argued about this for as long as they've been together?

ETA: And since Valaggar opened the floodgates, my anatomical questions so far, minus the ones he already brought up:
Ilwrath: How big are they?
Melnorme: Is what we see just the head, or the entire body? How do they move? Are they gelatinous?
Orz: What is an Orz/the Orz shaped like in its home dimension, if shape is a meaningful concept there?
Pkunk and Yehat: How did the Pkunk become so (physically) different from the Yehat? Just normal evolutionary divergence? How similar are the Pkunk to the Yehat?  Can either of the two races fly/glide, or are the wings vestigal? Do they have legs? How are the wings really connected--or are both portrayals accurate?
Spathi: What do they look like below the eyestalk? Where are their mouths?
Umgah: Do they all look more or less like that? With their skill at genetic manipulation, I'd expect a pretty wide, weird variety of shapes, unless they just all really liked that one--or unless they just become that after enough manipulations.  Does that happen?  Are they amorphs, possibly?  Because that would be really cool.
Supox: How do they get around? Are they naturally mobile, or do they have to transplant themselves to their ships (or to mobile flowerpots)?
Utwig: Do they have legs, or what? What about hands?  Is there more below the view field, or are they just that short?
VUX: Are they amphibious? It seems like a lot of their cities are in the oceans, and they look amphibious. If they are, how do they swim--do they have flippers, tails, more tentacles? What? What are those wiggly things on their heads?
Zoq-Fot-Pik: They look like they're on hover-platforms; does that mean movement is slow/laborious for them? How do they hold/manipulate stuff?  And of course, what did a Zebranky look like?

And unrelated to anatomy, but thought of at the same time:
What is the Orz's home dimension like?  Is there more than one Orz?  Do we meet more than one Orz?
What are *Nnngn*?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 12:44:00 pm by waywardoctagon » Logged
Valaggar

Email
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2007, 02:32:26 pm »

Ah, and...
The Spathi name their youngsters "encrustlings". Does this mean that they encrust them into something for extra safety?
Also...
The Slylandro in the middle is fatter than the other two. Is this similar to what happens to humans or, for example, a sign of old age?
(and, by the way, who is Sullen Plummet, who is Content to Hover, and who is Joyous Lifting?)

AH! AND, HOW COULD I FORGET?!
Is the length of the Drahn as 6480 Earth years, as it can be calculated from Source's rotation period, canon?

Also...
Are the ships at scale with each other in Super Melee? A calculation based on the size of a MX missile (using the SC1 Databank pictures) and on the intro slide showing the Vindicator has yielded size of about 223.5 metres for the Cruiser and about 270 for the Vindicator, yielding, at a resolution of 320x240, an approximate 5.8 metres as the side length of a pixel. The results fit into the scaling of the two ships in Melee.

(Also, the Mark II is supposed to be much bigger than the Vindicator, but in the ending slide it looks smaller. I suppose this was necessary for Zelnick and his nephews to be seen in the picture)

Also... In what degree do the ancestral Mycon personalities such as Dugee take hold of a Mycon? Can they "mind-control" them fully?

FUNNY RHETORICAL QUESTION:
Did Mahir Çağrı draw his inspiration from the Orz language?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 08:30:03 am by Valaggar » Logged
kwamp
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2007, 04:13:20 pm »

I just wanted to say (assuming Fred checks the thread again) that the effort put forth to answer all these questions, and to remain active in the community, is awesome.  That a game that is as old as SC2 is (to say nothing of SC1) has continued to receive your attention is amazing and it goes to show how much you and Paul must care about the universe you created.

Hope the IRC session brings even more answers!

-Kwamp

Kwamp, of the Thraddash
Squisherxxx
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2007, 06:44:12 pm »

Fred has cited that current games cost too much to develop to make it profitable as a career.  My question would be if they have considered using Xbox Live Arcade or Wii Virtual Console as a potential platform for a future release, as I have seen many games grow into cult status on XBL. 
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2007, 06:50:05 pm »

A question that doesn't fit the chat:

Was there ever a planned "final form" for the Chmmr? I mean, you interrupted the process by speeding it up, and the end result was not what they had planned. Did you ever plan how this "complete" Chmmr form would look?

What's up doc?
AngusThermopyle
*Smell* controller

A paranoid android.

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2007, 08:55:32 pm »

Here’s another one:

Who crews Orz Nemesis built at the Starbase? Orz or humans/Shofixti?
Cedric6014
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2007, 09:55:20 pm »

Yep!  It's the one in the middle, says the code.  I think the Zoq's on the left and the Pik's on the right.

I dispute that. Code isnt canon. I thinj they just labelled the creatures the names in the code for conveniences sake. In the game itself they do not even know which is which themselves.

EDIT: Woops! I see Megagun has already said exactly this. I'm glad someone agrees!
DOUBLE EDIT: Okay, so I see that there's been some discussion on this already. I am still not sure about Meep-Eep's reasonaing in this case. I am certain that convenience was the one and only reason for labelling.

Worthy of a question I think!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 10:01:05 pm by Cedric6014 » Logged

Play online melee here! http://irc.uqm.stack.nl/
Mormont
*Smell* controller

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2007, 04:54:45 am »

I've got anotehr question: Who do the Druuge get most of their slaves from?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length