The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:56:40 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Starbase Café (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Dictator Bush?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Dictator Bush?  (Read 8226 times)
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
Re: Dictator Bush?
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2007, 08:56:28 pm »

For example, take this mile-long list of scandals the white house is involved in with multiple sources backing everything up: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2405178
(The page shows a dogpile of ads to anyone that isn't registered, sorry for this in advance)

Going OT, I have to say that the word filter on SA is amongst the best things I've ever seen. Being slightly conservative, I've always taken the view that excessive swearing is not only unnecessary, but boorish and primitive. That word filter of theirs makes a very good job in showing just how much people swear, and how unnecessary and retarded it really is. It's also great fun, it took me a bit to figure out "rear end in a top hat" and "stinkyhole". I actually thought of sending lowtax a thank you note for the great extra entertainment, but I never got around to it.

What's up doc?
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2007, 09:23:22 pm »

Lukipela: and now look at their "Last edit" text...

I suspect that their filter actually increases swearing.

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2007, 09:39:34 pm »

Lukipela: and now look at their "Last edit" text...

I suspect that their filter actually increases swearing.

Yeah, that's theone place that it doesn't change. That changes every now and then anyway though. Also, why would the filter encourage swearing? Any logged in user who posts there isn't going to see that stuff, it's strictly for us lurkers. I mean, if this forum turned the word "Ur-Quan" into a obscene vulgarity for anyone who wasn't logged in, it'd hardly effect us, since we wouldn't see it anyway.

What's up doc?
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2007, 09:48:08 pm »

Well, I can imagine people will want to try out the filter, just to see what it comes up with.

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2007, 10:03:54 pm »

Based on some discussions there, I'm guessing most members don't even know they have a filter. Still, I suppose you could be right.

What's up doc?
Shiver

Email
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2007, 12:21:16 am »

Quote from: Lukipela
Based on some discussions there, I'm guessing most members don't even know they have a filter. Still, I suppose you could be right.

They aren't trying to be witty, at least not with that. That's a guest filter so that people can look at SA from work without getting the site blocked.

Quote from: meep-eep
Well, I can imagine people will want to try out the filter, just to see what it comes up with.

If you mispell certain words, the word filter will force something to the effect of "NOTE: I AM TOO STUPID TO SPELL 'DEFINITELY' CORRECTLY" onto your post. I've seen that one in particular very frequently. This kind of filter affects everyone, not just guests.

Quote from: Lukipela
Being slightly conservative, I've always taken the view that excessive swearing is not only unnecessary, but boorish and primitive.

You'd hate us, we all cuss like sailors actually.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 12:23:56 am by Shiver » Logged
Valaggar

Email
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2007, 08:45:34 pm »

Speak for yourself, interneter.
Shiver

Email
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2007, 09:28:30 pm »

Speak for yourself, interneter.

*Sigh*

Do you ever think about what you're doing before pressing that big shiny "Post" button? Valaggar, try taking like a few seconds to read into the subtext of a topic before you blunder into it and piss someone off. I do NOT want to see you pretend to represent my beloved Something Awful again.
Valaggar

Email
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2007, 09:36:19 pm »

Valaggar=Troll
Shiver

Email
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2007, 09:38:26 pm »

Valaggar=Troll

Good recovery, I suppose.
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2007, 02:32:34 pm »

Not really, I rather enjoy SA. Don't make the assumption that just because I think swearing is a bit juvenile/oafish I'm some sort of pretty little flower who can't stand to see a curse-word written. It's pretty much the same as with cigarettes. I think smoking is pretty stupid thing to do, and I'll mentally file away people who smoke as "there's something wrong with them". That doesn't mean I wont associate with people who smoke though, or that I cannot genuinely enjoy the company of a smoker (well, unless they are blowing smoke at me). Everyone has some sort of character flaw(s). Some people curse, or smoke. Other people hang around far too much on the internet. Some people care insanely much about a local sports team, or something else. That doesn't make them bad unenjoyable people.

EDIT: Also, why cant Valaggar represent a site he goes too equally as well as you (assuming he goes there)? It's not like every goon is a shining beacon in the dark.

What's up doc?
Deus Siddis
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2007, 08:27:43 pm »

The dictatorship thing is a crazy conspiracy theory. The country is run by rich corporations through lobbying. If Cheney became dictator through Bush, he'd still be corporate america's bitch.
(JSYK Luki, bitch is not a real curse and I don't smoke). Wink

Shiver
Do you ever think about what you're doing before pressing that big shiny "Post" button? Valaggar, try taking like a few seconds to read into the subtext of a topic before you blunder into it and piss someone off. I do NOT want to see you pretend to represent my beloved Something Awful again.

Is this a joke or are you seriously upset about whatever this is? Either way this must be one hell of an inside conversation because it is like you are both speaking martian.
Shiver

Email
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2007, 08:52:36 pm »

EDIT: Also, why cant Valaggar represent a site he goes too equally as well as you (assuming he goes there)? It's not like every goon is a shining beacon in the dark.

Valaggar isn't goon.
Deus Siddis
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2007, 03:23:06 am »

Okay new topic. If you had to pick someone on this forum to be dictator of the world, who would it be?

If you vote for me you can have Antartica.
Draxas
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2007, 05:00:57 pm »

Why, Fred, of course. Wink
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length