The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:43:21 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  How do I stop friendly aliens from chasing me down and mobbing me
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How do I stop friendly aliens from chasing me down and mobbing me  (Read 2809 times)
Vel
Zebranky food

View Profile
How do I stop friendly aliens from chasing me down and mobbing me
« on: June 19, 2007, 05:07:12 am »

When i first entered pkunk territory, before i could land at this star system, i had to endure like 6 cut scenes of talking to the pkunks, because that's how many of their ships were trying to chase me down and annoy the hell out  of me. I'd finish one, then I'd have no choice but to go right onto the next because they were stacked on top of me. This is really stupid. ANY workaround patch for this kind of alien behavior?
human fluid sack
Zebranky food

View Profile
Re: How do I stop friendly aliens from chasing me down and mobbing me
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 05:15:02 am »

You should be able to out run them.   You really shouldn't get caught in pileups like that.   That's once you've got all your thrusters of course.

Besides they might tell you something interesting.
Draxas
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 08:25:09 pm »

Better a friendly pileup that you can talk your way out of, than the usual ones I get caught in; mobs of both 'Quans catching up to me because I needed to actually enter a star system for something. That's always an ugly mess.
Justice
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 09:18:42 pm »

Those pileups can get pretty annoying after a while.  I remember making trips to get Furies in my no-starbase game.  Seemed to take forever sometimes.  Although not as bad as trekking through Mycon space for egg case fragments.
waywardoctagon
*Many bubbles*

More information...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 02:11:01 am »

Save frequently (you've got fifty slots or so; it's a simple matter to leapfrog them) and go back to a previous save when you get into that situation.  The spawns are probability-based, so if you try again (even taking the exact same path) it'll be different.

What I did, though, is adopt a relaxed attitude towards this.  It's not like it takes long (there should be a key that advances a bit of dialog quickly... I think spacebar makes it skip to the end and shows the dialog options) and you can just say goodbye right away.

ETA:  And if it really bothers you, you should be able to find the bit in the code that determines the spawn probabilities, tweak it, and compile your own version.  It's right here--starting at line 374.  I think there's something in here that talks about it, although there seem to be more files there than I remember, so it may have been somewhere else.  (I haven't tried this, but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work.)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 02:24:15 am by waywardoctagon » Logged
guesst
Enlightened

Ancient Shofixti Warrior

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 06:05:11 pm »

how unlikely would it be to see hyperspace encounters treated lik in-system encounters in that once you finish one you have a few moments to run before you can be tagged again?

A new game and it's code each week. Please visit Cymon's Games
AngusThermopyle
*Smell* controller

A paranoid android.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 06:50:16 pm »

Better a friendly pileup that you can talk your way out of, than the usual ones I get caught in; mobs of both 'Quans catching up to me because I needed to actually enter a star system for something. That's always an ugly mess.

I actually think that’s one of the great things about the game: you have to earn the right to enter Ur-Quan/Korh-Ah space or risk annihilation. It usually starts with a Probe intercepting you in Hyperspace and the pileup is on. The question is: Do you have the ships and skill to fight your way out?

The possibility of utter defeat is something that has phased out of contemporary games (with re-spawning, continues, etc…), so I guess a new player might be shocked when this happens. The solution is, as waywardoctagon mentioned above, save often.
Zeep-Eeep
Enlightened

Good Grief

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 09:48:41 pm »

Yeah, it's annoying, but it makes sense. If someone is entering your space, you're
going to harass the heck out of them. At least with enemies.

Perhaps a small modification should be made to avoid friendly pile-ups?
Maybe cause half the squads to disappear after a friendly covnersation is finished.

What sound does a penguin make?
Davey Yungblud
*Many bubbles*

Scum? I don't think so. "Master" is more like it.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 02:11:17 am »

That's annoying, I would know because it's especially annoying in Gamma Vulpeculae (most of you know what I'm talking about). Not that I mind the Orz constantly mobbing me, it's just that that voice gets on my nerves...meh, but I would suggest investing in a full set of thrusters, and at least 2/3 of the amount of turning jets.

"The Kohr-Ah are welcome in my galaxy any day --  it's those damned creepy Arilou that I worry about...opening portals to God-knows where and gaining perverse pleasure from manipulating the affairs of non-IDF beings...total smegheads they are." -Emperor Volusianus of the Empire of Volusianus.
waywardoctagon
*Many bubbles*

More information...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 02:14:01 am »

That's annoying, I would know because it's especially annoying in Gamma Vulpeculae (most of you know what I'm talking about). Not that I mind the Orz constantly mobbing me, it's just that that voice gets on my nerves...meh, but I would suggest investing in a full set of thrusters, and at least 2/3 of the amount of turning jets.

Mmm, yeah, but they drift off after you talk to one of them, IIRC.  Possibly after you ally?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length