The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:38:59 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Post in this topic if you would like to play in a Super Melee tournament
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Post in this topic if you would like to play in a Super Melee tournament  (Read 4047 times)
Shiver

Email
Post in this topic if you would like to play in a Super Melee tournament
« on: June 27, 2007, 03:16:08 pm »

Cedric's tournaments don't get nearly enough turn-out so I'm trying to boost the membership. If you would like to play in a tournament at some point, leave a message. There's no commitment whatsoever, I just want to get a headcount on this. So post. POSTPOSTPOSTPOSTPOSTPOST!!!

Current headcount: 14
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 05:16:03 am by Shiver » Logged
Lurker
Frungy champion

The Lurker from *Below*

View Profile
Re: Post in this topic if you would like to play in a Super Melee tournament
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 05:43:36 pm »

I would definitely play if I could. It is impossible under current circumstances. Maybe some time in the near future...

Where is the planet when you need it? Straight in front of you. *Crash*

Also, I hate asteroids.
Davey Yungblud
*Many bubbles*

Scum? I don't think so. "Master" is more like it.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 10:46:02 pm »

I will, but I'd have to have the other player host most of the time, as my compy is a POS. Also, is a net delay below 4 better for slower computers or worse?

"The Kohr-Ah are welcome in my galaxy any day --  it's those damned creepy Arilou that I worry about...opening portals to God-knows where and gaining perverse pleasure from manipulating the affairs of non-IDF beings...total smegheads they are." -Emperor Volusianus of the Empire of Volusianus.
Cedric6014
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 10:50:27 pm »

Oooh, ooh, I would like to play too! Smiley

Play online melee here! http://irc.uqm.stack.nl/
Shiver

Email
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 12:58:54 am »

I will, but I'd have to have the other player host most of the time, as my compy is a POS. Also, is a net delay below 4 better for slower computers or worse?

Low net delay is better. A delay of 1 is often unrealistic in terms of what it demands from your internet connection, so 2 is the default.
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 11:13:59 am »

Short answer: the speed of the computer doesn't really matter that much.

Long answer:

Unlike many other net games, UQM runs at the same rate and exactly the same way on both machines involved. While this eliminates the need to predict what the opponent is doing, it does mean that the players' actions have to be delayed (the amount of frames input is delayed is called the "net delay") to make sure both machines agree on what the action is. UQM can continue to execute as long as it has received the input it needs in time.

Basically, you want to set net delay so that the real delay between input being registered on one machine and being received on the other is lower than the net delay setting (at least most of the time; how much "most" is depends on whether you hate jitter or delay more). While net delay is primarily intended to compensate for a (hopefully more or less constant) delay in the network (hence the name), it can be used to compensate for other reasons for input data being received late, such as a slow machine on the other end. However, this doesn't help if the slow machine is slow all the time (you can't have UQM running at two different speeds on different machines, with net delay continuously increasing!) or even temporarily (for example, if the machine can't handle UQM melee with fully zoomed in graphics and lots of action). What it does help with is uneven slowness (for example, if occasional disk access causes UQM to pause for something on the order of 0.1 seconds); however, this is probably easier to remedy by eliminating the background activity; UQM itself is pretty lightweight (although nowhere near the "runs perfectly on a fast 386" of PC SC2).

Basically, what you want to do is set net delay as low as possible without the game slowing down or getting jittery.

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 01:45:47 am »

Also note that the highest delay value of the two sides is used.

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 01:49:17 am »

And to get back to the original topic; I myself do like to play in tournaments on occasion as long as they don't span multiple days, and it isn't necessary to enroll in advance.

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
Bluhman
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 09:53:36 am »

Er... Sure, okay.
Cedric6014
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 10:18:52 am »

Noted Meep-Eep, I'm sure many would agree.

The only problem is that its just as hard to hard to get people to commit to playing more than 3 or 4 games in one day. So the KO tournaments are the only option at present + plus your swiss system (which I am yet to get my head around).

Polymeron
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2007, 05:51:21 pm »

Totally count me in, guys.  I may be a little rusty, but I can get back in shape fast - and I will  Wink
Galactus
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 10:24:41 am »

Not sure who you included in the original headcount, but I'm usually always up for a tournament, as long as life doesn't get in the way of the schedule.

Maybe Cedric could create some sort of email distribution list for his tourneys.  I missed the last one, because I forgot to check the forum.  However, email is something I always remember to check.  We could start building the list with those who stated interest in this post.  I'm thinking that more people would respond to an email notice and as the list grows, then tournouts would be better.  Also, we could email PR3 and the rest of the TFB team about them going forward, becuase they probably don't read the forums much, if at all.  If they were to announce that they would be showing up to one ahead of time, I'm sure that the tournout would be huge!

Also, if Cedric, or the tourney organizer, could advertise that response was high with a follow-up email, then that might provide an incentive for more to participate on the day of the tournement.

On another note, since tournament histories are being recorded, maybe a handicapping system could be used during league play for the "Superstars" of Super Melee, so as not to discourage new players from participating.  I'm just trying to think of new ways to drum up support for these things.
Cedric6014
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2007, 11:05:20 am »

Excellent ideas Galactus. Might think about utilising the message function of this forum.

Sargon
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2007, 11:14:28 am »

I would like to play, though I want my gamepad to work first.
Also, can an IP net game be played using limited account? I also have zone labs firewall so I might need to set some of its settings so it will work?
Maybe I will play with administrator eventually, I am not sure.
Shiver

Email
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2007, 11:17:08 am »

Quote from: Galactus
Not sure who you included in the original headcount, but I'm usually always up for a tournament, as long as life doesn't get in the way of the schedule.

Everyone who has posted in here including myself, minus Novus. He clarified something, but expressed no interest thus I have not counted him.

Quote from: Sargon
Also, can an IP net game be played using limited account? I also have zone labs firewall so I might need to set some of its settings so it will work?

I'm about 90% sure that means you will have to make your opponent host the match, but it will work fine otherwise.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length