The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:18:50 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Project: CWUV
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Project: CWUV  (Read 15564 times)
Cedric6014
Enlightened

View Profile
Re: Project: CWUV
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2007, 10:15:52 pm »

Okay. Valaggar

Noooooo nononono. We do not want to be spamming TFB about the Utwig voice. I guarantee the don’t give a rat’s ass about the Utwig voice – that is a LOW priority for them.  And frankly, we don’t want it to be a high priority. I just want them to make a sequel and for all I care they can hire Donald Duck to do the Utwig.

Do NOT send Paul an email about this (I suspect it’s too late and you have probably already sent him half a dozen).

I would suggest that you would irritate the forum goers less if you dropped all further references to the Utwig and Keel-Verezy in any of your posts . Not good to raise the ire of a prominent moderator.

And as for banning Valaggar I don’t think that’s necessary – he does contribute a lot of stuff, some of which isn’t dross. I like the Mycon voices for one. So he’s uber enthusiastic about Star Control. I guess we all are in our own way. It seems weird to draw a line and say “you are only allowed to be this enthusiastic”.

Play online melee here! http://irc.uqm.stack.nl/
waywardoctagon
*Many bubbles*

More information...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2007, 10:29:24 pm »

Did you understand that? I really doubt it, but that's the level of stuff we are seeing coming from Valaggar. By all means discuss, explore and talk about fandom but jeez, don't take it too incredibly distorted and strange as this in a way nobody really can give a straight answer or understand.

So you just don't want anything that's "too" weird and/or technical?  Nobody's saying you have to care, or respond, if you're not interested.

Quote from: Cedric6014
It seems weird to draw a line and say “you are only allowed to be this enthusiastic”.

That's what I'm saying.  It's all good, except for spammers and trolls.
Neonlare
*Smell* controller

Nut Case for Star Control

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2007, 10:41:43 pm »

'would newton's law theory actually work if a Chmmr Avatar did a backwards pelvic thrust towards a planet and would this constitute an X=Y-0 in the part it ran straight into a Supox Blade and lasted long enough to survive?'

That's going into my Signature. Now.

"would newton's law theory actually work if a Chmmr Avatar did a backwards pelvic thrust towards a planet and would this constitute an X=Y-0 in the part it ran straight into a Supox Blade and lasted long enough to survive?" - Elerium (as Valaggar)
Elerium
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2007, 11:24:34 pm »

So you just don't want anything that's "too" weird and/or technical?  Nobody's saying you have to care, or respond, if you're not interested.

Usually I don't post if I don't care and I do like that others are enthusiastic about Star Control, because after all we are all enthusiastic about this game, which is why we're fans, but Valaggar annoys me in the fact that he spams the entire boards, whines over the Utwig voice and posts stuff which we can't comprehend.

I mean look at his post count, 921 (5.060 per day), joined January 03 2007, and it's only now July the 4th. Now lets look at a more contributive member like Shiver:

So Valaggar has accomplished almost as much posts as Shiver within 5 months as opposed to his 4 years? This marks Valaggar as a spammer, I think.
waywardoctagon
*Many bubbles*

More information...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2007, 11:39:06 pm »

Just to clarify, by "spammers", I mean "PAD PRINTING MACHINES" stuff.  Off-topic ads.  I don't mean "posting a lot".
Elerium
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2007, 11:44:10 pm »

Just to clarify, by "spammers", I mean "PAD PRINTING MACHINES" stuff.  Off-topic ads.  I don't mean "posting a lot".

I thought so, but still, the principles remain the same.
Resh Aleph
*Smell* controller

Rottem Tomatoes

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2007, 02:57:09 am »

I think you've understood it a bit wrongly. It's not about banning me, it's about whether I should continue posting or not.
Nah, I was just being a little melodramatic. Tongue

By the way, by "amusing" I meant the way you get on people's nerves. It really cracks me up.

Valaggar Must Stay!

Marines on Maulers and limpets on Earthlings  /  Bright Podship plasma and warm Kohr-Ah death rings  /
Shofixti Scouts doing gravity whips  /  These are a few of my favorite ships!
       © meep-eep
Grakelin
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2007, 03:32:25 am »

Just popping in on one of my hiatuses which makes me seem like I don't remember Ur-Quan Masters at all, and noticed this thread. I like the voices. I also think that the voice acting of a decade old video game is not a high priority for anybody. At this stage of the game, any possible sequel will most definetely have a different voice anyway. What's the big deal?
Uejji
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2007, 08:52:36 am »

Yes, a lot of people seem to forget that Star Control 2 is 15 years old, with the voices themselves being 13 years old.  The fact that this game had voices *at all* in 1994 was a very big deal.

Try to remember back to this time and the general quality of games back then.  Games that had voice acting had the voices done usually all in-house, with a handful of people doing a wide variety of character voices.  These were game developers, not professional voice actors, and we can tell nowadays, but at the time we had no litmus test for video game voice acting.

Multimedia gaming was *awesome*.  MIDI music was *great* back then, just because it was music.  Now if a game had music, sound effects AND voices, that was an instant buy.

Now, here in 2007 we can look back and say "Wow the voice acting is pretty amateur and I don't like it," but at the time there was no incentive to produce high quality voice acting.  These voices *were* high quality at the time.
Valaggar

Email
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2007, 09:28:46 am »

Do NOT send Paul an email about this (I suspect it’s too late and you have probably already sent him half a dozen).
*urp* Just one point five. If you want to torture yourself a bit, here it is (they are?):

MAIL BEGINS
_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
FIRST MAIL

Hello Paul,

First I would like to thank you again for everything, and thank you twice for participating in the IRC chat, and for struggling for the righteous cause of Star Control.

The whiny/emo Utwig voice was an interesting take. I don't know why you kept it even after they get their Ultron back and are all happy, even exultant (I see two possible reasons: 1. Because they are still wearing the Mask of Ultimate Embarrassment and Shame, or 2. Because they have been depressed for so long that it's hard for them to recover their normal voice), but the former choice seems like a good idea - i.e., according to the mask they're currently wearing they change their intonation - that is:
- when wearing an Expression of Ultimate Gratitude they have an unnerving obsequious voice
- when wearing a Countenance of Stellar Representation they speak in a sound, arrogant voice etc.

So what do you think? How would you make their voice in the sequel?

FIRST MAIL ENDS

Hi Vlad,

I think the inherent voice of the Utwig would remain the same, though the vocabulary, tone, volume and emphasis would change in order to convey the change in psychological state.  Any more change than that, and I think you might damage the character construct of the Utwig that forms in the player's imagination.  I might consider one or two lines spoken through a 'special' mask that offered a ridiculously modified voice, though I would play that for humor.

- Paul

REPLY TO FIRST MAIL ENDS

Hello Paul,

It seems that a lot of people don't like the whiny Utwig voice (see here); it isn't what they have imagined when they met them first in the DOS version (and indeed, though it works for before getting the Ultron back, afterwards they are happier, according to the text).

A Star Control fan, Lance Meibos, who happened to also be a beginning, though very talented, professional voice actor, even stepped in and re-recorded the voice; a sample in mp3 format is available here, the whole voicepack is here. The forum thread is here.

So maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea not to use the whiny voice in the eventual sequel, as the Utwig have a very interesting design (their mask philosophy, emphasis on destiny on the Ultron - they also resemble a bit African animists) which doesn't really fit into the emo thing.

SECOND MAIL ENDS

Cool, thanks Vlad!  I'll check it out in a bit.

- Paul

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
ALL MAIL ENDS (ah, by the way, I had sent another two mails, one before the first one and the other between the first and the second one, but got no reply; the first of them was in fact the first mail I've transcribed here, in a more convoluted form, and the second one was about the Utwig not being emo, and ended in something to the effect of "anyway... HUMOR GOOD!")

So maybe I will stop whining about the whiny Utwig voice, but seeing how very contributive people like alephresh wouldn't like me to do so (keep in mind, contributive by quality, not quantity)... I don't know.

Quote from: Elerium
You see with Valaggar, he puts forward things such as 'would newton's law theory actually work if a Chmmr Avatar did a backwards pelvic thrust towards a planet and would this constitute an X=Y-0 in the part it ran straight into a Supox Blade and lasted long enough to survive?'
Ahem! Hrrah! Grrah! Did you care, at least, to look at the subject of the thread in which I was posting something vaguely resembling your technobabble?
"Tactics and strategy of SC ships". It was about 3D fleet battles, and it was logical that they should also have realistic physics (except for the case of gravity whips).

Quote from: Elerium
Did you understand that? I really doubt it, but that's the level of stuff we are seeing coming from Valaggar. By all means discuss, explore and talk about fandom but jeez, don't take it too incredibly distorted and strange as this in a way nobody really can give a straight answer or understand.
Better look at the level of your own postings.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 10:08:07 am by Valaggar the Wackrazy One » Logged
Cedric6014
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2007, 10:19:40 am »

*Sigh*

Changing topic slightly, after having a bit of a play in the full game, I actually think the supox voice is worse.

Play online melee here! http://irc.uqm.stack.nl/
Valaggar

Email
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2007, 12:17:46 pm »

...And to put an end to all this thing, as we can all see, which voices are good and which are bad is very subjective.
For example, I am annoyed by the Utwig voice because I'd have preferred something which fits their nature more.
Cedric doesn't like the Supox voice because it's too metallic and not vegetable (sic!) enough.
Koowluh
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2007, 12:54:02 pm »

That's what I thought about a couple Vallagar's threads. Although I find him a bit on a crusade for his Utwig voice change opinion, I happily choose to ignore it. I could care less if he stays or goes.

I leave the case of spam/inappropriate content up to the moderators' wisdom and dilligence.

I hate drugs. Air is the worst one. Breathe it once and you're hooked for life.
kwamp
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2007, 02:32:46 pm »

Much like a book turned movie, there are going to be aspects of that the viewer doesn't feel are accurate.  The solution is to enjoy the attempt, as more often than not it isn't a terrible representation;  it just doesn't meet the viewer's standards.  You don't go firing off email to the movie studio asking them to re-do a scene, or change the actor.

After playing through SC3 and reading the posts here, I'll never install the voice pack.  I have a specific idea of what each race sounds like in my head, and I wouldn't want to have that ruined by hearing what Paul and Fred thought they should (jokingly or not) sound like.  If you have a problem with it, maybe the solution lies in fixing it for yourself instead of trying to push something on the community that it obviously doesn't feel is needed (or even wants).

-Kwamp

Kwamp, of the Thraddash
Elerium
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2007, 02:51:36 pm »

Ahem! Hrrah! Grrah! Did you care, at least, to look at the subject of the thread in which I was posting something vaguely resembling your technobabble?
"Tactics and strategy of SC ships". It was about 3D fleet battles, and it was logical that they should also have realistic physics (except for the case of gravity whips).

I was mostly referring to your 'who is more traumatised?' when you enacted all that algebraic technobabble but whatever.

Better look at the level of your own postings.

Oh, I do.

Moral of the story Valaggar if you really want to stop annoying people, or me, you know what to do (I assume you know already).
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 02:55:22 pm by Elerium » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length