The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:24:25 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  [[CGI for UQM]] - Please send model files. // Submit your animation idea.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: [[CGI for UQM]] - Please send model files. // Submit your animation idea.  (Read 49509 times)
Resh Aleph
*Smell* controller

Rottem Tomatoes

View Profile
Re: [[CGI for UQM]] -No news yet
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2007, 11:08:31 am »

General suggestion about turning in space: since there's no air, changing directions doesn't need to be graceful as with jets. For example, when a spaceship needs to go leftwards, it would just rotate on the X plane and thrust. No lifting the left side of the ship or anything. Another example: to turn back, the ship would rotate on the Z plane and thrust. No "circular" movement.

But then again, I guess that's boring (and even looks unrealistic to the "naked eye", especially since many ships resemble jets).

Hmm, suggestions for scenes? Here's one for the Pkunk Fury.

The camera follows it as it flies from a pretty close range (showing its front), but then it makes a fast sequence of right and left movements and the camera struggles to follow it. Then it moves "past" the camera, and the camera moves to show it flying away from it.

Then it does a Death Blossom, caught exactly at frame 300. Cheesy
Then, ah, it turns to the direction of the camera and flies flies right into it. Tongue

Marines on Maulers and limpets on Earthlings  /  Bright Podship plasma and warm Kohr-Ah death rings  /
Shofixti Scouts doing gravity whips  /  These are a few of my favorite ships!
       © meep-eep
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2007, 02:13:31 pm »

From the bottom left, a Druuge Mauler comes into view, moving to the top right, and away from us, turning clockwise. We zoom out so that there's quite a bit of empty space ahead and particularly behind the Mauler.
The mauler quickly fires three shots and gets propelled backward. It moves towards the left edge of the screen, the front pointing to 2 o'clock. The camera slowly pans to the left so that the Mauler nears the left edge of the screen, but as the camera is accelerating the Mauler stays into view. At the same time, we zoom in so we get a close up view of the Mauler. You hear a loud screaming and bright red flames can be seen flaring up through the portholes of the Mauler.
Frame 300, overlay ship data.
The ship keeps moving backward, but the camera is panning more quickly now and is catching up. The Mauler, without changing speed, turns towards the camera, while we zoom in a bit more.
We're looking right down the barrel of the Mauler, right in the center of the screen. At the deep end of the barrel, you see a violent mass of flames, while you hear the sound of heavy machinery, whips and screaming.
We zoom in a bit into the barrel.
A rumbling sound begins to rise. The screen fades to black. After half a second (a bit longer if there is the time), a violent BOOM.

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
Koowluh
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2007, 06:47:40 pm »

An Earthling Cruiser fleeing away from a Dreadnought (or any other ship) firing, flying from right to left, with the camera "looking in" from below, only to have the cruiser quickly turn around and fire a missile. The information overlay frame 300 shows the Earthling cruiser firing the missile with the PDL activating on a passing meteorite, with the remaining frames either blowing up the enemy ship or the Earthling turning around again and running tail between its legs.

I hate drugs. Air is the worst one. Breathe it once and you're hooked for life.
guesst
Enlightened

Ancient Shofixti Warrior

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2007, 07:37:55 pm »

My storyboard was a bit longer. Say about 2 minutes with character animation, holds, drama, etc.

300 frames, by the way, is only about 10 seconds at 30 fps which is standard for most digital mediums and what i'm going to guess these animations are at. (If you use 24fps, standard for film and american hand drawn animation, you get 12.5 seconds).

For a good example from a (now) professional animator of a ship flying in space, click here, scroll down, and check out Zero-G. It's by Victor Navone, creator of the famous Alien Song who now works for Pixar.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 08:02:16 pm by guesst » Logged

A new game and it's code each week. Please visit Cymon's Games
Resh Aleph
*Smell* controller

Rottem Tomatoes

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2007, 09:22:59 pm »

You hear a loud screaming ...
But there's no sound in space! Cry

</partypooper>

Marines on Maulers and limpets on Earthlings  /  Bright Podship plasma and warm Kohr-Ah death rings  /
Shofixti Scouts doing gravity whips  /  These are a few of my favorite ships!
       © meep-eep
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2007, 09:48:45 pm »

So don't use regular microphones, but rather something like a laser microphone. Problem solved.

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
Amiga_Nut
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2007, 10:25:22 pm »

Let's not forget that George Lucas, creator of the Sci-Fi cornerstone; “Star Wars”, was never hampered by silly details like: (Sound doesn’t travel in a vacuum)

I keep my old Amiga on a flash-drive. Tongue

0xDEC0DE
*Many bubbles*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2007, 11:53:38 pm »

Joe Straczynski said when making Babylon 5 that they were confronted with a stylistic choice early on in the series' production:
  • No sound in space.
  • Surround sound in space.
...which would be more fun to watch?  He said it wasn't much of a choice at all.  Smiley

"I’m not a robot like you. I don’t like having disks crammed into me… unless they’re Oreos, and then only in the mouth."  --Fry
Simon K
Frungy champion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2007, 01:18:22 am »

Actually, no sound in space can work quite well too. I personally thought it a very nice touch that all space scenes in Firefly and Serenity had only music (and occasionally the sound heard by the characters inside their spacesuits). Also, the "helmetless EVA" scene in 2001: A Space Odyssey was, in my opinion, all the more atmospheric and frightening precisely because it happened in dead silence.

Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
Kaelos
Zebranky food

*twitchtwitch* Fear the blinky!

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2007, 08:36:28 am »

300 frames, by the way, is only about 10 seconds at 30 fps which is standard for most digital mediums and what i'm going to guess these animations are at. (If you use 24fps, standard for film and american hand drawn animation, you get 12.5 seconds).
Yus, that /is/ what he said. "Frame 300, (10 seconds in) will be a pose for information overlay." What is teh point you's trying to raise here?
Amiga_Nut
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
Re: [[CGI for UQM]] -Submit your animation idea.
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2007, 10:05:26 am »

Grin Final texture test.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 07:33:03 pm by Amiga_Nut » Logged

Galactic
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
Re: [[CGI for UQM]] -Druuge texture final // Submit your animation idea.
« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2007, 10:21:32 am »

It looks good... but I've always wondered what the green caps is there. Huh
Amiga_Nut
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
Re: [[CGI for UQM]] - Trailer??!!
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2007, 10:45:48 am »

Re: Posting on UQM forum [[ 2002 ]]
Found this... http://uqm.stack.nl/forum/index.php?topic=2.msg2

IS THIS IT? http://www.medievalfuture.com/div/sc2-com.avi

NIce! No one ever told me about this!  Shocked
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 10:50:58 am by Amiga_Nut » Logged

guesst
Enlightened

Ancient Shofixti Warrior

View Profile WWW
Re: [[CGI for UQM]] -2002 Ur-Quan Masters trailer?!! // Submit your animation idea.
« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2007, 09:28:10 pm »

Okay, here's my lofty, 10 second idea. The numbers are time index:
1: Sultry lips are pursed.
2: A hand (alien) is gloved. (<1 second)
3-4: A silky leg is raised, held, and bought down
5-6: View the side of an undetermined ship as:
  • an airlock opens (1 second)
  • a body in a space suit hurls out from it
7: turn pan from previous shot to the syreen ship, showing where the astronaut is headed.
8-9.5: continue pan past the ships cockpit where for an instant (5-7 frames) a smug syreen captian can be seen) before resting on a magestic shot of the syreen ship from above where we can see:
9.5-10: the Syreen ship being approached by a dozen floating space men.

If you'd be willing to continue the shot a few seconds I'd add a quick shot of an engine flash and the syreen pealing out leaving her thronging public free-floating. Maybe even make 2 of them from opposite sides crash into each other (off center of the shot).

I was going to draw pictures of this, doing a proper storyboard and all, but my one son is climbing into my lap as I type this, begging me to let him color, the other one is disturbing the baby, and we've got a birthday party to go to in 5 minutes. I somehow doubt I'll find the time later. I hope this will satisfy as is. I thought about all of the character stuff once i realized you'd have Eric Schwartz to help out, but most of it can still be done CG. (Everything in from second 5 on, except the 5-7 frames of the captian.)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 09:30:25 pm by guesst » Logged

A new game and it's code each week. Please visit Cymon's Games
Defender
Enlightened

View Profile
Re: [[CGI for UQM]] - Trailer??!!
« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2007, 09:53:27 pm »

Re: Posting on UQM forum [[ 2002 ]]
Found this... http://uqm.stack.nl/forum/index.php?topic=2.msg2

IS THIS IT? http://www.medievalfuture.com/div/sc2-com.avi

NIce! No one ever told me about this!  Shocked
I really like this trailer. Simpile and to the point. Kinda hooks you in with a little mystery thrown in. ie whats that ship and why is it headed for earth? Defintaly has atmosphere to it. My 2 cents.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length