The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:59:55 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  What was Star Control 1 like?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: What was Star Control 1 like?  (Read 7908 times)
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
Re: What was Star Control 1 like?
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2007, 01:39:15 pm »

You can find help online, or catch me in arena and give me your phrase and I will give you the answer. Then just keep your computer on!
Or you could use the snapshot feature in WinUAE to save the state of the Amiga.

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
guesst
Enlightened

Ancient Shofixti Warrior

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2007, 06:12:36 pm »

Ok, here it is kiddies! 
http://4filehosting.com/file/39956/Amiga-Nut-zip.html
 66MB.zip.
Windows only, sorry Linux dudes. This is basically WinUAE coupled with all the games I ever installed on my home Amiga, and every .adf I created from the top games.
Thanks, that's awesome!

As for "What was Star Control 1 like?" I'm sorry I haven't had time to answer this question before now. The short answer is Star Control 1 was to me a bliss that has unfortunately been diminished by time. Not for me, mind you, but for sharing with other people. The game is so old that unless you played old school games new players have little chance of enjoying it.

SC1 was a game like no other. Where SC2 was a space exploration/rpg with an arcade melee, SC1 was a chess-like strategy game on a rotating 3D starmap with an arcade melee. And if you want more of my thoughts on the game (with a small history lesson) I wrote the SC1 review on abandonia.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 06:01:38 pm by guesst » Logged

A new game and it's code each week. Please visit Cymon's Games
Amiga_Nut
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2007, 07:51:05 pm »

Novus: The snapshot feature does not work very well when using a virtual HD.
The best thing about this collection, is all the configuration work has already been done.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 07:54:42 pm by Amiga_Nut » Logged

I keep my old Amiga on a flash-drive. Tongue

Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2007, 10:43:54 pm »

Novus: The snapshot feature does not work very well when using a virtual HD.
Good point; I never did try using snapshots with virtual HDs. Apparently the problem is that the machine state and the hard disk state can easily get out of sync due to the buffering performed on hard disks (which is seldom used on floppies); making the HD read-only probably helps. In any case, I should have tried it with your HD image before suggesting it.

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2007, 06:42:45 pm »

I made a little Zorg solver (javascript required).
It is based on the DOS version of SC1; if any of the other versions has a different code wheel, it won't work there.

And if you ever find yourself without a source of answers, use "TRUST" as your answer. It's the correct answer 1/24 of the time, which is more than any other answer (much more for some answers).

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
Amiga_Nut
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2007, 05:30:11 am »

That's pretty neat Meep-Eep…  There is something like that in the collection for the Monkey Island Games btw.

Neonlare
*Smell* controller

Nut Case for Star Control

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2007, 05:29:27 pm »

Did anyone else notice that the word in "Cixelsyd" the Zorg puzzle thing is Dyslexic backwards? Anyhow, It'd be neat if someone could convert SC1 like Ur-Quan Masters, with the added option to play as SC2 ships too :p.

Anyhow, I've played the Genesis variant, which was really slow, but seemed to function alright, but still, the 3D map = blargle <_<.

"would newton's law theory actually work if a Chmmr Avatar did a backwards pelvic thrust towards a planet and would this constitute an X=Y-0 in the part it ran straight into a Supox Blade and lasted long enough to survive?" - Elerium (as Valaggar)
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2007, 05:54:24 pm »

Did anyone else notice that the word in "Cixelsyd" the Zorg puzzle thing is Dyslexic backwards?
Nice find.

For those who've never done Professor Zorg's quiz, some of the introductions to the questions are rather good too ("spin the Wogl" in particular).
Below are all of the introductions:

You are mining some rich carbonaceous asteroids near Beta Lyrae, when a huge and imposing starship of unknown origin suddenly warps into Truespace 16 meters off the starboard bow. You hail the vessel, only to receive the cryptic message,

You are enjoying a frosty Triple Planet at a bar in the blue-light district of Bathulga City on Procyon Four, when a tall, thorny methane-breather in pinstripes pounds roughly on your shoulder and shouts,
Makes you wonder what happened to Procyon IV in the Ur-Quan war; it's a rather cold azure world with heavy tectonics in Star Control II.

Station duty, particularly deep-radar monitoring, can be somewhat boring, so you are just firing-up the latest and greatest space-war action game.  All at once, every threat indicator on the main board goes red, the stars dim, and a huge, unearthly voice shakes the station saying,
Funrom?

You are hunting for iridium on Ceres, drilling through the rock in a late model mining mole when, without warning, the wall ahead collapses exposing a rather cozy, single family dwelling containing a shocked and angry clutch of Altairian Rock-Hounds who implore,

You have been swindled by a Betelgeuxian merchant. Your new NavCom unit has gone haywire and you are lost, deep in unknown space.  You approach a small though pleasantly green planet and are met by a patrol of tiny oval ships. Across sub-space radio comes a chittering wail of,
Betelgeuxian? Syreen?

You are testing your latest invention, the long-range transmat booth, when you inadvertently scramble the target coordinate settings.  Though you expect to teleport a rare plant from Algol to your lab, a huge, scaled Anthropophagite appears, waves its plumes in a most menacing manner and says,
Ooh, teleporters. Note that "Anthropophagite" would translate to something like "man-eater".

In a flash of light and with the sound of thunder, a beautiful female of your species appears out of nowhere, stretches out her well-formed grasping appendage and intones,

You have made the potentially fatal mistake of challenging a Taurian grue to a game of spin the Wogl.  Lacking the touch of a true expert, you have made your Wogl dizzy and it has stumbled into all three Err pins. The Taurian hops from foot to foot in glee, and beckons with its maul-flippers, saying,
Star Control at its best.

You plop down in front of your computer one morning only to discover that in the night it has made some modifications to your chair.  Metal restraints suddenly flick out, pinning your limbs. A swirling hypnotic pattern forms on your display along with an ominous message,
This happened to me once.
Where's an exploding console (Star Trek-style) when you need one?

One morning in June, huge coppery spacecraft slide into position over every major city on the planet. The population goes wild with fear!  Some people run amok while others wring their hands and gaze up into the skies with dread.  After four days, a strange alien message booms forth,
The Ur-Quan have arrived!

when the Creators return
guesst
Enlightened

Ancient Shofixti Warrior

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2007, 06:43:29 pm »

Anyhow, It'd be neat if someone could convert SC1 like Ur-Quan Masters, with the added option to play as SC2 ships too :p.
Here here! I've actually done a whole thing about this, mission based levels, co-powers, storyline. I can't help it. I love the SC1. You're pretty cool, Neonlare.
..but still, the 3D map = blargle <_<.
And then you stopped being cool.

Meep-eep, didn't you get those off PoNaF somewhere?

meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2007, 06:55:57 pm »

The quotes? I got them out of the SC1 data files.

when the Creators return
Neonlare
*Smell* controller

Nut Case for Star Control

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2007, 10:44:33 pm »

Anyhow, It'd be neat if someone could convert SC1 like Ur-Quan Masters, with the added option to play as SC2 ships too :p.
Here here! I've actually done a whole thing about this, mission based levels, co-powers, storyline. I can't help it. I love the SC1. You're pretty cool, Neonlare.
..but still, the 3D map = blargle <_<.
And then you stopped being cool.

Ahaha! I counter-attack with... An ACTUAL 3D map! See what I did there? Tongue.

"would newton's law theory actually work if a Chmmr Avatar did a backwards pelvic thrust towards a planet and would this constitute an X=Y-0 in the part it ran straight into a Supox Blade and lasted long enough to survive?" - Elerium (as Valaggar)
Amiga_Nut
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2007, 02:17:12 am »

I've checked Meep-Eep's Zorg Solver: http://uqm.stack.nl/zorg/ against the code wheel for the Amiga version of SC1, and they seem to be identical. So, I guess that's all you need. Grin

The nuances of the game detail that you guys are picking up on, is both frightening and amazing at the same time.   Shocked

Ohma
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2007, 07:43:28 am »

I've found that (at least for the version I downloaded from abandonia, which I insist on using the .exe with copy protection on it because I'm OCD about stuff like this) the answer is related to the premis, not the alien gibberish. (though I may have just been lucky so far, or again, it could be the version I downloaded)

Also, for people who are having framerate issues, you should really try DOSBOX. To play StarCon just type in (minus quotations) "mount c C:\example" (where C:\example is the drive and directory where you put StarCon). Then type "c:" to change DOSBOX's selected directory, and finally type either "starcon.com" or "starcon.exe" to run the game (one of those doesn't have the copy protection, I can't remember which).

And if you still have framerate issues, you should change the cycles line in your DOSBox.conf file (it's really just a fancified .txt file) from whatever number it's at (or auto, which is what mine's set to, but I don't *think* I'm haveing speed issues) to 3000 or so (which is what DOSBox says it's running at when I'm playing StarCon).

EDIT: Also, I still somehow am still amazed by how good old midi sfx can be (even without a proper midi card, or perfect emulation). I really shouldn't be, after all, I did grow up playing games where all sound in a was modulated beep of some sort, but I still find it fascenating just how much can be done even with an internal speaker.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 07:48:40 am by Ohma » Logged
Megagun
Enlightened

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2007, 11:41:26 am »

You have been swindled by a Betelgeuxian merchant. Your new NavCom unit has gone haywire and you are lost, deep in unknown space.  You approach a small though pleasantly green planet and are met by a patrol of tiny oval ships. Across sub-space radio comes a chittering wail of,
Probably a Betelgeuxian, as the Syreen (as far as we know) haven't been stationed at Betelgeuse yet (that happened *after* SC1, after all)...
Makes you wonder though what the Ur-Quan did to the Betelgeuxians...

One morning in June, huge coppery spacecraft slide into position over every major city on the planet. The population goes wild with fear!  Some people run amok while others wring their hands and gaze up into the skies with dread.  After four days, a strange alien message booms forth,
Hmm, I always forget: Was the Vogon Constructor Fleet copper or yellow, in the books?
guesst
Enlightened

Ancient Shofixti Warrior

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2007, 04:00:05 pm »

I've found that (at least for the version I downloaded from abandonia, which I insist on using the .exe with copy protection on it because I'm OCD about stuff like this) the answer is related to the premis, not the alien gibberish. (though I may have just been lucky so far, or again, it could be the version I downloaded)
Uh, as the one who uploaded that archive to Abandonia, I have some bad news. Anything you type in will work. That test has been hacked. You could input nothing and it would work. You're not lucky.

Hmm, I always forget: Was the Vogon Constructor Fleet copper or yellow, in the books?
I could always look it up, but I'm sure I remember they were yellow in the book, like the color of construciton equipment. (In the movie they became a sort of grayish for the gag later at vogsphere.)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length