The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:15:02 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  The Taalo Project
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: The Taalo Project  (Read 22819 times)
Valaggar

Email
Re: The Taalo Project
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2007, 04:53:33 pm »

It's the Talking Pet that does the talking.

Quote from: AngusThermopyle
Yes, the Kohr-Ah are ruled by a female (Primat), but so are a lot of other races. What makes the Kohr-Ah warrant a feminine voice over other such races?
Artistic license.

@Davey: 1. Use this Kohr-Ah script instead. In the original, they had mixed "Eternal Doctrine" with "Path of Now and Forever"; this fixes it.
2. Here's a concept effect set for Chmmr: (after recording their speech intoning it like in SCNot3, you know, with pauses between words, see here) robot filter (flanger with the same end delay as the start delay)->mix each word with (the same) xylophone sound->vary the pitches of words->shorten silences between words to believable delays->reverberate. Not tested it however, will do it in a moment. EDIT TWO: Never mind, it rather works for Orz though. Listen to the result (without xylophone/electric piano) here.

EDIT: Added @Davey section.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 07:28:52 pm by Valaggar the Wackrazy One » Logged
Davey Yungblud
*Many bubbles*

Scum? I don't think so. "Master" is more like it.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2007, 04:51:51 am »

Yeah, this would really work for the Orz that we were going for. Now if I could get a-certain-someone-who-speaks-in-third-person's audition files back, I can attempt to create a voice set for them.

P.S. Welcome back, Valaggar! Azn
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 04:58:51 am by Davey Yungblud » Logged

"The Kohr-Ah are welcome in my galaxy any day --  it's those damned creepy Arilou that I worry about...opening portals to God-knows where and gaining perverse pleasure from manipulating the affairs of non-IDF beings...total smegheads they are." -Emperor Volusianus of the Empire of Volusianus.
Valaggar

Email
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2007, 10:25:12 pm »

It is evident that nobody likes the feminine Kohr-Ah voice. I think we should drop that idea. Vox populi, vox Dei.

And to bring forth the other controversial voice - do you think it would be a good idea to make the Thraddash voice old and wretched, since they are, on one side, battle-scarred, and on the other hand, not as powerful as they believe?

It sounds like Valaggaria now has population 2.
Explain to me why myself and Davey are "out of reality" just because we have different opinions than you, moderator.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 10:28:16 pm by Valaggar the Wackrazy One » Logged
Cedric6014
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2007, 10:27:43 pm »

Did anyone ever watch the original cartoon of TMNT? I think of Thraddash being like Rocksteady and Bebop.

I.e not old and wretched

Play online melee here! http://irc.uqm.stack.nl/
Davey Yungblud
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2007, 12:14:06 am »

It's not going to be dropped until some samples are made for people to hear them. They haven't even given it a chance yet.

Rocksteady and Bebop...I don't remember them. then again, it's been years since I've seen it (the original).

"The Kohr-Ah are welcome in my galaxy any day --  it's those damned creepy Arilou that I worry about...opening portals to God-knows where and gaining perverse pleasure from manipulating the affairs of non-IDF beings...total smegheads they are." -Emperor Volusianus of the Empire of Volusianus.
Valaggar

Email
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2007, 12:26:46 pm »

Hey, I forgot, we also need a voice actor for Zelnick.

EDIT:
It's the Talking Pet that does the talking.

Quote from: AngusThermopyle
Yes, the Kohr-Ah are ruled by a female (Primat), but so are a lot of other races. What makes the Kohr-Ah warrant a feminine voice over other such races?
Artistic license.
Ah, and, my fellow Humans (and Syreen), I would like to stress that TFB did such a "gender-specific voice inversion" for the ZFP: the green ZFP is/are female, but talk(s) in a masculine voice, and the blue ZFP is/are male, but talk(s) in a feminine voice.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 01:04:40 pm by Valaggar the Wackrazy One » Logged
Davey Yungblud
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2007, 10:15:04 pm »

No, we really shouldn't supply a voice for the Captain. That ruins the interactive feel of it. That makes the game less personal. The Captain is like the Doom Marine (or Corp. Flynn Taggart, for those of you who don't know his real name), or Link from the Zelda series; if he had a voice, the game wouldn't be what it should be. Just my $0.02, though I'm sure many people will agree with me.

EDIT: Also, I think that even if this were to be done, there's no coding that stops the Alien portrait from acting as if they were the ones speaking, and that plays a second set of voice samples in place as of the moment. If they were to put this coding in, I would consider having someone voice over Zelnick, however, even if they did, I wouldn't likely do so.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 12:21:57 am by Davey Yungblud » Logged

Resh Aleph
*Smell* controller

Rottem Tomatoes

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2007, 04:56:42 am »

Hey, I forgot, we also need a voice actor for Zelnick.
No, we really shouldn't supply a voice for the Captain.

Crud, that destroys my theory* that you are the same person.

(...or does it? Roll Eyes)

*Theory in the colloquial meaning, not scientific. Tongue

Marines on Maulers and limpets on Earthlings  /  Bright Podship plasma and warm Kohr-Ah death rings  /
Shofixti Scouts doing gravity whips  /  These are a few of my favorite ships!
       © meep-eep
Simon K
Frungy champion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2007, 11:31:41 am »

I know what you mean; I had that same hypothesis ;-) as well.

(and I think one of them is going to take this as a compliment.)

*Theory in the colloquial meaning, not scientific. Tongue

Muhahaha, my evil Wording Nazi influence is spreading!

Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
Valaggar

Email
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2007, 04:09:58 pm »

I know what you mean; I had that same hypothesis ;-) as well.

(and I think one of them is going to take this as a compliment.)
Of course I'm taking it as a compliment.  Tongue

No, we really shouldn't supply a voice for the Captain. That ruins the interactive feel of it. That makes the game less personal. The Captain is like the Doom Marine (or Corp. Flynn Taggart, for those of you who don't know his real name), or Link from the Zelda series; if he had a voice, the game wouldn't be what it should be. Just my $0.02, though I'm sure many people will agree with me.
The idea was that, if you want the voices to be like you imagine them, you turn off voices entirely; if you want voices, you aren't bothered by Zelnick having a voice.
Though if I think more, this argument doesn't hold water.
Davey Yungblud
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2007, 10:41:37 pm »

Well, I'm not exactly sure how to take that. I mean, take into consideration, hunams, that I'm only 16 (this project will be even more delayed than it already is when school starts. As of today, I am planning to finish up the Kzer-Za, Admiral ZEX, Commander YAK, VUX in Space, and Captain Fwiffo Voice pack (collectively known as Hierarchy Log I) within the next week or two weeks.), so thinking that myself could possibly be the dinosaur (no offense) Valaggar is kinda...hmm...that goes both ways too...whatever.

Valaggar

Email
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2007, 10:52:09 am »

dinosaur (no offense) Valaggar
Dinosaur? Are you referring to that avatar I used because I was too lazy to upload another and that was the only one I liked among the already-available avatars? Maybe "Utwig Valaggar" or "Proctor Valaggar" or... or something of your composition.
Davey Yungblud
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2007, 04:10:40 pm »

Alright, how about Skipper Valaggar? No, wait...damn, I can't come up with anything. Fine, you're now High Proctor Valaggar? You happy now? You've been forced to have a sex change now  Tongue

Valaggar

Email
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2007, 04:45:49 pm »

What about keeping it "Valaggar the Wackrazy One"?
Ah, and by the way, I said "Proctor Valaggar", not "High Proctor Valaggar". Proctors aren't necessarily female.
Davey Yungblud
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2007, 10:59:01 pm »

Wow, this went off-topic fast. Anywho, I've gotten the final Kzer-Za effect set ready. This is the 5th one that I've done, but I finally got it :p

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length