The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:11:25 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Starflight vs. Star Control ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Starflight vs. Star Control ?  (Read 5505 times)
Simkin
Zebranky food

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
Starflight vs. Star Control ?
« on: January 08, 2003, 08:20:21 am »

Were any of the staff on the team that made Starflight also on the SC team?

Also, the captain on the space station rips directly from Starflight in saying "avoid being gruesomely killed..." which is mentioned several times in Starflight, including in the primary mission outline. :-/

I have to say that I like the ship fighting style in SC a little more, but it seems like crew are too much like fodder, rather than trained professionals... Is the "Vindicator" full of red-shirts?
Garthor
Zebranky food

IOU One Witty Comment

View Profile
Re: Starflight vs. Star Control ?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2003, 08:38:03 am »

Well obviously said commander has played Star Flight before, and decides that it is a nice little "inside joke" to quote a game that is a hundred or so (?) years old.

A spleen is a terrible thing to waste.
EvilRobot

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2003, 09:02:54 am »

I was kinda hoping there was at least some people on SC team who where on the SF team.  Ah well.  Maybe one day the entire genre will make a comeback.
Chad
*Many bubbles*

PNF Webmaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2003, 09:38:35 pm »

I know they knew of each other.... after all, Greg Johnson worked on Starflight and and Star Control....

Star Flight
http://www.mobygames.com/game/sheet/gameId,115/

Star Control
http://www.mobygames.com/game/sheet/gameId=179/
http://www.mobygames.com/game/sheet/gameId=205/
« Last Edit: January 08, 2003, 09:40:03 pm by Chad » Logged

"...Dogar And Kazon Clack Their Mandibles Against One Another And Snicker With Amusement."
Simkin
Zebranky food

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2003, 12:22:40 pm »

Some small part of me tries to find it odd that the people reminiscing over these two series on those boards are both literate *gasp* and totally devoted to their superiority over anything new (with which I whole-heartedly agree).

To think, You can STILL buy these games (allbeit from eBay)... This little piece of plastic is burning a hole in my pocket...

Sometimes I worry that things I appreciated when younger won't age well, so it would be best to leave them and reminisce, rather than revisit. But with these games, they still do much more than face up to newer games.

"An entire universe on two 360kB 5.25 floppies."

I just wish that elegant game programming were still trendy... I hate dropping 150 mB of HD space, just for a demo. Jeeze. (sorry for the rant guys)
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2003, 08:07:48 pm »

To think, You can STILL buy these games (allbeit from eBay)... This little piece of plastic is burning a hole in my pocket...

One card to rule them all, one card to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them, in the land of e-bay where the auctioned merchandise lies.
Casey

Email
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2003, 09:49:40 pm »

Some games DON'T age well.  I just picked up Defender of the Crown for the Game Boy Advance, which (aside from the graphics and sound enhancements) is pretty much a straight port.  It's not nearly as entertaining as I remember it being.  I only hope Pirates! doesn't do the same thing.
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2003, 10:44:49 pm »

Similarly, Legend of Kage seems MUCH lamer than when it first came out.
ern2150

Email
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2003, 06:37:29 pm »

Anybody ever get it in their head to try to jam the two series into the same continuity?  I know, I know, it's hard enough trying to reconcile SC3 Smiley

Maybe I'll try it sometime, right after I marry this rosebush...
Chad
*Many bubbles*

PNF Webmaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2003, 08:03:40 pm »

@ern2150 - I don't think it would be that hard... Just throw all of the Star Flight races into another quadrant of the Star Control Galaxy.  In Star Control 1 and 2, we were only in 1/4th the galaxy.   Star Flight could be another 1/4, Unholy war another 1/4th and SC3 the other 1/4 Wink  Lame yes, but easy  Roll Eyes

"...Dogar And Kazon Clack Their Mandibles Against One Another And Snicker With Amusement."
Simkin
Zebranky food

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2003, 12:39:02 pm »

The only problem being, that SF was meant to occur sometime after the year 4600 or so (they had a few bad millenia in between).

Btw, if you can find an original SF 1 manual, I suggest reading it. Seriously it is the funniest game manual that will ever be written.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length