The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:14:05 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  KEEL VEREZEY CROWN - August KO Tournament
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: KEEL VEREZEY CROWN - August KO Tournament  (Read 3849 times)
Cedric6014
Enlightened

View Profile
KEEL VEREZEY CROWN - August KO Tournament
« on: August 30, 2007, 10:48:12 pm »

Okay, okay, I’ve been incredibly slack and negligent recently. Actually that’s not entirely true – I have been negligent but not slack. Just very very busy.
Anyway, it’s time to hold the Keel Verezey Crown! That’s right, with a name like that even Valaggar may enter. And yes, This IS the August tournament – being held in September!

Date: 1 September 2007
Time: Saturday from 4pm EDT
Place: #uqm-arena at irc://chat.freenode.net

Be here for this umpteenth KO tournament

Time where you live
Sun 6 am Sydney
Sun 8 am Kaponga
Sat 1 pm Los Angeles
Sat 4 pm New York
Sat 9 pm London
Sat 10 pm Paris
Sat 11 pm Helsinki

Tournament structure
Knock-out tournament – just like the tennis

Provisional Schedule (all NY time)
16.00 Check-in/Register
16.30 Round of 16 commences
17.15 Quarterfinals
18.00 Semi finals
18.14 Final – Keel Verezey Crown!

Following weekend can be employed if required (unlikely)

Game rules
1) Maximum 200 pts per fleet
2) Maximum one of each ship type per fleet (no duplicates)
3) Maximum 40 minutes per melee - Timed out games result in both players losing and exiting the tournament (an effort to nullify boring stalemates)
4) You must have your team set up before melee - this prevents you adjusting your line-up to counter your opponent’s team!
5) Thraddash ARE allowed – but if you pick a Thraddash I will think that you are an ass.
6) Organiser’s decision is final on all matters and can override rules 1 through 5.

Of course I expect all the usual guys to enter – they have been starved of competitive melee for a wee while now, especially the ones ineligible for Pillow Fights. And of course all the Pillow Fighters should enter! Why? Just because.

I hope to see you there! See my signature for a quick link to #uqm-arena if you don’t know where to go.

Play online melee here! http://irc.uqm.stack.nl/
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
Re: KEEL VEREZEY CROWN - August KO Tournament
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 10:49:08 pm »

Giving up on Swiss already?

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
Cedric6014
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 12:37:18 am »

Haven’t given up on Swiss at all. In fact the Pillow Fights use the Swiss system which I think is very appropriate. These ones use a knockout system
Smiley

Shiver

Email
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 01:19:51 am »

I think I agree. We don't need to be all cozy with eliminated players because there's a nice cushy tournament that fills the same role every week.
Lurker
Frungy champion

The Lurker from *Below*

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 10:21:03 pm »

... I forgot. I would have participated, but now it's too late. Well, next time, then.

Where is the planet when you need it? Straight in front of you. *Crash*

Also, I hate asteroids.
Cedric6014
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 10:23:56 pm »

Its not too late! wee waiting for you!

EDIT: Hmm that sounds a bit desperate. What I meant to say was "well, actually, you CAN still enter, if you really want to..."
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 10:25:35 pm by Cedric6014 » Logged

Shiver

Email
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 01:22:04 am »

Due to some confusion, the tournament isn't quite over. I'll have my match with EP sometime tomorrow.

There isn't a "roll eyes" emoticon big enough for this, but Elvish Pillager won this tournament by 56 points.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 10:20:54 pm by Shiver » Logged
Valaggar

Email
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 11:28:54 am »

with a name like that even Valaggar may enter.
You mean that I like misspellings? It's "Keel-Verezy", Trade Master, "Keel-Verezy"!
Amiga_Nut
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 02:13:56 pm »

I fight tooth and nail with the guy, at the end I'm beaten by 55+ points. I say (gg). What do I get in return?… “You played a morally questionable game.” BS I say! The match took 42 minutes. (EP and I)… I think I did quite well. EP is very good and I needed to evade a lot wile I attempted to cause more damage. I don’t mind losing to a better player and I give props when due. Boo to the tyranny of the upper echelon.
     One more point about the patience strategy. You can kill a Chmmr with A Supox using lunging firing maneuvers. - You can waste an Androsyn with a Traddash… It just takes time.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 02:39:20 pm by Amiga_Nut » Logged

I keep my old Amiga on a flash-drive. Tongue

C. Bob
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 05:48:08 pm »

Thraddash vs. Chmmr should result in Thraddash victory every time, if you play it all the way through, solely to win the battle, but that doesn't mean that it's a good thing to decide to do.

42 minutes is two minutes over the limit, and most matches don't go on for quite that long. When I played EP/Shiver at my best, I could generally get them down to that level without any eternal matches. You win by skill, not being so fanatically devoted that you're willing to use each and every boring tactic in the book to achieve victory. I admit that I'm more competitive in tournaments, and thus have more of a threshold for those, but not nearly to *that* degree.

People came to play UQM, not suffer through a borefest.
Elvish Pillager
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2007, 11:50:45 pm »

Also, Amiga, it's not particularly nice to quote a pun on "a good game" as if it's straight-out opinion.

My team of four Androsynth and three Chmmr is the most unfair team ever!
My mod
Tiberian
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2007, 07:12:22 pm »

I'd like to make a long speech about responsibility in selecting a ship for a specified battle but I'll just make it short this time:

Supox can't kill a (decent) human controlled Chmmr if a time limit of one day is given.

Thraddash can't kill a (decent) human controlled Chmmr if the Chmmr doesn't make suicidical moves OUT OF BOREDOM.

For Amiga_nut and people like him I'd like to encourage to listen to the most experienced (and able) players about what ships should not be used in what situations.

Author of Star Control novelizations Groombridge Log and Eternal Doctrine. http://www.tommisalminenbooks.com
Amiga_Nut
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2007, 08:05:36 pm »

I would like everyone to stop being so god damned bossy and just let people play the game. I’m actually getting quite annoyed at the imposition of players who think it’s ok to demand that everyone snap into line and do what they say. I for one, am not going to listen.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 08:07:32 pm by Amiga_Nut » Logged

I keep my old Amiga on a flash-drive. Tongue

C. Bob
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2007, 08:54:58 pm »

You misinterpret the messages above you.

The posts are not meant to be "bossy" or to detract from people "playing the game".

The posts are sent from people who care enough about your well-being as a player to comment on how obnoxious and boorish your combat style is, which detracts from gameplay and will very likely cause more or less everyone to cease playing with you. They serve as a warning of sorts that if you continue in your current path, you will not be well-regarded by most people you play against.

Do not think of it as people attempting to impose their own techniques on you, but rather, people attempting to prevent you from causing damage to yourself. There are many cases of players who play differently, which none of these people have opposed. Tiberian's style of combat is vastly different from Shiver's, but they are both elite players., and neither of them say to the other that they should avoid flying the way they do.

The way you play is long and boring, and tends to infuriate most other players. It will develop no skill where you need it, and thus doing it is only a crutch for your current weaknesses.

I recommend, as does everyone else, that you give up your current style of play and attain mastery in quicker, less boring battles, for the sake of yourself and everyone else. Every minute you spend in a game is a minute that you'll never get back; are you willing to spend so many of them to no productive end? Nobody will enjoy the time expended, and you might not win the game anyway.
Shiver

Email
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2007, 09:14:27 pm »

Tiberian's style of combat is vastly different from Shiver's, but they are both elite players., and neither of them say to the other that they should avoid flying the way they do.

Actually, he called me out on something lame I did last time I played him. Since I agree it was pretty sketchy, I don't see the problem however.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length