The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:26:12 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Starbase Café (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Poll: Clash of the Titans: Star Control versus StarFlight
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Poll
Question: What game is better, Star Control II or StarFlight I/II (take the one you consider better)?
Star Control II is the best!
StarFlight I/II is the best!
Quite the same, I think.
It doesn't matter. We're all going to die anyway.

Author Topic: Poll: Clash of the Titans: Star Control versus StarFlight  (Read 10451 times)
NamelessPlayer
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
Re: Poll: Clash of the Titans: Star Control versus StarFlight
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2007, 12:31:58 am »

I like both, but Star Control II still remains my greatest game of all time.

Let's elaborate on Starflight first.
-I think it has a better opening scenario. (Your society has just rediscovered the secret of space travel and is reaching for the stars once again, only to find that their homeworld is in grave danger.)
-I prefer the ship component system. (Each component can be seperately upgraded AND damaged, and each component has a distinct purpose. It just feels more realistic than SC2, or maybe just better.)
-I also like how your crew and their skills contribute to your overall effectiveness, and also the potential problems you can face should one of them bite the dust. (In SC2, crew is hardly personal-they just act as a strange measure of ship integrity.)
-Finally, the planetary exploration aspect of Starflight feels better-the landscapes are much larger, and it seems to actually matter when you find a ruin or something(and you don't find a whole lot of ruins in SC2).

So, why do I prefer SC2? It's all about your fellow sentients. I never associated with the Starflight races like I did the Star Control ones, likely for the following reasons:

-Each and every one of the Star Control races have a distinct charm which I never felt in a Starflight race. It's hard to describe, but you understand perfectly when you interact with them.
-In all versions of Starflight, to my knowledge, all the ships look the same unless you take a peek at the picture you get after scanning one. This breaks my suspension of disbelief. Star Control II obviously does not have this problem.
-The SC2 races have their own unique font for subtitles, as well as music(and voiceovers in the 3DO and UQM versions). Starflight has no voiceovers(obviously), little music(that which I did hear did not interest me much, likely due to their simplistic nature; this is going by the Amiga version and not the Genesis remake), and the same font for all races.
-Oh, yeah, and Star Control II has MUCH better music. On the other hand, Starflight was originally developed with IBM PCs with beepy, bloopy, super-suck-ass speakers in mind, and not a real computer like the Amiga, Atari ST, or even the bloody C64, and thus I shouldn't really be holding this against it.

Now, if someone would combine the best elements of both into a game that also borrowed from Independence War, Freespace, and Battlecruiser/Universal Combat(in other words, a space "sim" with Newtonian physics that focused on exploring planets and talking with/fighting aliens instead of just blowing stuff up)to make the best(space adventure and exploration)game ever....
Dancing Fungus
*Many bubbles*

Armor always looks cool with extra techno...right?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2007, 04:41:41 pm »

While we're on the topic of combining games here....
I personally think it would cool if someone combined Star Control and Starflight  with Imperium Galactica.
Star Control and Starflight have nice aliens, balanced and interesting [though a bit arcade-like] combat, and decent planet exploration. Imperium Galactica meanwhile has research, colony management, and really cool ground combat. All three games have good music and plot lines. Throw in some some good cut-scenes, randomization so every time you play it isn't the same, [and maybe a graphics upgrade] and you would have a damn fine game.

Thrice thy blinded cat hath mewed....
Valaggar Redux

Email
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2007, 05:34:02 pm »

research, colony management
Fine! Let's see... hmm... what do you think of this idea, having one of each of the following types of buildings: factory, mine, landing pod factory, starbase, research facility... did I miss something?

good music
Throw those silly MODs and OGGs into the dustbin. MIDIs rule!1!!!1

good plot line
Let's say... a race of ancient energy beings predating even the Precursors are about to come and destroy the world, and you must stop them by.... erm... making the trip to the supermarket for them, and throwing some groceries into their fridge?

Throw in some some good cut-scenes
Thee-phee KABOOM! A thousand ships warp out in front of your starship, engaging you your Ur-Quan Dreadnought in a gruesome one-to-one combat. Ah, and of course, they first deliver a cool speech. Y'know, the sort of thing they use to say at the customs, before inspecting you and your cargo.

, randomization so every time you play it isn't the same
The path of randomization cannot save the randomized ones. Seek nothingness of mind, and find peace.

a graphics upgrade
You bet! Are animatronic puppets good enough for you, or do you want a cooler, more lively-coloured menu as well?

and you would have a damn fine game.
Enter Star Control 3.
Dancing Fungus
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2007, 06:33:59 pm »

Are you mocking me or Starcontrol 3? I can't tell. Unless it's both.............

Starcontrol 3 had potential, but it was really crapped out. My point was not to replicate Starcontrol 3, it was to make something different. Did SC3 have a good plot? No. Were the new aliens cool? No. Were the graphics really that much better? No. Was research meaningful? No. Was the music good? Hell no. Were the cut-scenes good? No. Were colonies primitive piles of near-uselessness? Yes. Was it randomized? Are you noticing a pattern here?

Imperium Galactica had actual strategy to colonization and colony  management. If your colony sucked ass [like having nothing but a factory, a mine, landing pod facility, research center, and starbase] your population would hate you and would either leave or rebel. Its graphics were kind of primitive but not bad. Research could actually be complicated and useful sometimes. And of course, if your colonies weren't defended they would be attacked and either destroyed or captured with ground units. Furthermore, in ground battles you could actually marshal your forces around instead of watching some statistics appear on the screen. Those are the main reasons why I specified that game and not Master of Orion or Space Empires.

Animatronic Puppets! Ha!

Valaggar Redux

Email
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2007, 07:11:17 pm »

Hey, sorry if I offended you. I meant only to ridiculize SCNot3 and have a little fun as well. Yes, Imperium Galactica was a very good game, but I don't see how it could fit Star Control.
Dancing Fungus
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2007, 07:52:39 pm »

Don't worry. No offense taken.

And I think that features of Imp could probably fit quite well in a Starcon-type game.
All it would take is a little imagination.

Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2007, 08:56:56 pm »

Speaking of space strategy games, did anyone play Pax Imperia?
Dancing Fungus
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2007, 03:58:14 pm »

No, I do not believe I have. What is it like and where could I get it?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 05:04:39 pm by Dancing Fungus » Logged

Deus Siddis
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2007, 12:17:02 am »

Speaking of space strategy games, did anyone play Pax Imperia?

Yes, I did. In fact, I have not yet come around to playing much in the 4x genre before or since it.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length