The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:42:15 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Technical Issues (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  planet textures
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: planet textures  (Read 2113 times)
Bigryan
Frungy champion

View Profile
planet textures
« on: October 12, 2007, 07:58:41 pm »

Hi I'm trying to add planet textures for a game I'm making.  How are they generated in Urquan Masters?  What I would like is to get the 2d images of the planets and then wrap them around an opengl sphere.  Any advice on how to go about this?
Amiga_Nut
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
Re: planet textures
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 03:31:34 am »

I can maybe help you out here. The thing I would do in this case is image map a sphere and then bake the craters and detail onto the object. You would then have images with the polar scaling intact and ready for use as you said. I could whip up a few in Lightwave.  The 3DO image maps have this effect but they were really low quality. I suppose you could use them, but I'm thinking why? Also, is color the only map you’re doing? Do you want bump maps as well?

Here's one I prepared earlier! This is an auric moon lit from one direction only.
(Cylindrical image map for a sphere)

I keep my old Amiga on a flash-drive. Tongue

Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 10:15:05 am »

You will probably want to read the UQM developer documentation on planet topography generation and planet surface rendering. The relevant code is in src/sc2code/planets/gentopo.c and src/sc2code/planets/plangen.c.

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
Bigryan
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 06:44:18 pm »

thanks novus.  I guess all planet textures are generated by code on the fly.  Very cool.

I haven't figured out how I'll do it yet.  Perhaps I'll do something silimar but more simple.  My original thought was that they were all textures that had been photoshoped, but I guess space was an issue when sc2 was made and code took up a lot less of it.

I wanted originally a bunch of jpg/png images that I could just call up as resources.  but this can also be quite cool.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length