The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:04:56 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Technical Issues (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Folowing instructions but no voice clips (Mac OS X)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Folowing instructions but no voice clips (Mac OS X)  (Read 2609 times)
pjvgt
Zebranky food

View Profile
Folowing instructions but no voice clips (Mac OS X)
« on: December 19, 2007, 02:31:27 am »

Hi,

I know that it was already discussed by no solution helped me. I downloaded two files uqm-0.6.0-3domusic.uqm, and uqm-0.6.0-voice.uqm, open content put them into Contents/Resources/content/packages directory, but withou succes - no voice clips and no 3do music. It is still great game itself and those little things do not bother me much - but I am interested how would aliens sound in game Wink.
Dakkus
Zebranky food

View Profile WWW
Re: Folowing instructions but no voice clips (Mac OS X)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 01:49:02 pm »

That worked just fine on my OSX.
Maybe you forgot to increase the speech volume in the sound configuration menu in the game?
By defauit the speech voiume is muted, probably because the voice acting is slightly unprofessional.

And if you aren't able to get the voice to work at all, don't feel bad about it. I switched then on, tried talking to a few races and then just deleted the file right away.
If you can't get it to work, but want to hear the stuff anyway, change the file suffix from .uqm to .zip and unzip the package. You should find a bunch of ogg files in there. You can play them with Winamp and be horrified without bothering to tramble around the game trying to get the useless sound to work.

pjvgt
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 04:12:14 pm »

Thanks it was that - the voice was set mute, don`t know I haven`t checked it - music was also muted - propably because my sister played this game with her own music from itunes - those are the signs of newbieship Wink. I must say that I am little disappointed with voices - thought that I would hear original gibberish alien speech instead of english-speaking aliens.

Thanks for the help Drakkus I own You a beer Grin.
Dakkus
Zebranky food

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 07:59:53 pm »

Thanks it was that - the voice was set mute, don`t know I haven`t checked it - music was also muted - propably because my sister played this game with her own music from itunes - those are the signs of newbieship Wink. I must say that I am little disappointed with voices - thought that I would hear original gibberish alien speech instead of english-speaking aliens.

Thanks for the help Drakkus I own You a beer Grin.

I prefer dark Belgian ales, but also like stuff such as Rauchbier, many Baltic beers, almost all products by Baltika and Scottish ales.
I currently live in Espoo (think Helsinki), Fi, EU, but am moving to Berlin in February.
I'm looking forward to the beer! If you are unable to meet me personally, you may send the beer via mail. You will get my address by asking me in a PM.

Grin

0xDEC0DE
*Many bubbles*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 10:13:50 pm »

I must say that I am little disappointed with voices - thought that I would hear original gibberish alien speech instead of english-speaking aliens.

That is the single best idea for an add-on pack I have ever seen.

"I’m not a robot like you. I don’t like having disks crammed into me… unless they’re Oreos, and then only in the mouth."  --Fry
pjvgt
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 01:30:57 am »

Drakkus I live in Poland near German border so I have a little jump to Berlin where is my company`s warhouse - I think that I can send You our good polish Warka Strong - flavour and power in one can Grin.

About the alien voices - I Thought that it would be more natural to hear aliens saying in their own language with addition of subtitles - the same as in foreign movies in cinema. Dubbing voices for aliens in their own speech would be even simpler than  in english - You could just say gibberish things into mic and focus on the emotions and "feel" of the race You are dubbing. Instead of hearing big, fat, englishman when contacting UrQuan You could hear a big, warlike, sociopathic centipede without sticking into words - only to their completly alien voices. I got carried away a little bit...  Cheesy
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 10:01:27 am »

gibberish alien speech instead of english-speaking aliens.
Sorry, the Finnish translation only has subtitles. Grin

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length