The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:35:30 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Story line
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Story line  (Read 2159 times)
Den-R
Zebranky food

View Profile
Story line
« on: December 19, 2007, 08:31:03 am »

and Hello again ..

2 questions, sorry if it allready was asked ..

1. Are Fred Ford and Paul Reiche III help with source code and other help ? I think - yes  ..
Then second question

2. We know - very much quests, like a Rainbow Worls quest, not finished in original StarControl 2, because Fred Ford and Paul Reiche don't have enought time and it was released with many unfinished stories  Sad Sad
but  it was in 1992 ! now is 2007 (already 2008) !!!!
You Re-Release SC2 and Fred Ford and Paul Reiche help u  .. (Huh)
Then may be it is chanse to finish all stories and quests, which was not accomplish in 1992 ??

i know, we can't put all in game, what we want and all our fantasy.... but may be add to game all ideas of 1990-92 year Huh
that can be FANTASTIC  Roll Eyes
Koowluh
*Smell* controller

View Profile
Re: Story line
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 01:38:20 pm »

For as far as I know, Fred and Paul are onboard as spiritual advisors. They frequent these forums from time to time and have a chat with some of the current development crew and fans on this site.

As for unfinished quests, I have not really found anything that looks unfinished. Some people would of course want to find out what the rainbow worlds are for, who actually constructed the Mycon and how frungy is played, but some mysteries are better suited for one's imagination than to chew it out even further in a game. From what I have read and seen, this is what SCnot3 did.

Of course if you feel up to the challenge, you could always tackle the source code yourself and write the "missing" elements yourself.

I hate drugs. Air is the worst one. Breathe it once and you're hooked for life.
Den-R
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 02:44:14 pm »

1. I read some of chats with Fred Ford and Paul Reiche, and there was string "we don't have enought time, too finish all our stories in SC2"

2.  Yes, we have source and can write "missing" elements, but i (and i hope other) want "missing elements" from
Fred Ford and Paul Reiche , not from me or some body else ))
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 02:49:47 pm by Den-R » Logged
Zeracles
Frungy champion

Icon of X

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 03:02:44 pm »

It isn't that we don't want answers, SCnot3's principal flaw is not that it supplied answers, it's just that its answers were plain stupid.

Fear not the Arch Viles and Spectres of the Deepest Reaches, for the X is strong in this place.
Valaggar Redux

Email
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 03:56:05 pm »

1. I read some of chats with Fred Ford and Paul Reiche, and there was string "we don't have enought time, too finish all our stories in SC2"

This is not true. They have not said this in any of the IRC chats. They have not said this in any e-mails or board posts. What they have said is this:

{{IRC1998}}
<Mharr> We were just asking when you turned up - Are there any Star Control easter eggs?
<Fwiffo> No easter eggs.  We were trying to get a conversation with me and Paul, but we didn't have time.

{{IRC1998}}
<Greenish9> Unoriginal question: What did you think of SC3? Did George Macdonald really come and chat to you about it?
<Fwiffo> We did chat with George quite a bit at the start of SC3.  Unfortunately, we had very limited time and really couldn't design as much as he wanted.

{{FredMail}}
I'm afraid [the Rainbow Worlds] were going to serve, what you might say, was a lower purpose. They were indeed meant to serve as a pointer (as the first follow-up suggests), but
they were only going to point to a conversation with me and Paul that Accolade never knew about. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on where your
sympathies lie) we were just so busy finishing the actual game that we could not, in good conscience, spend any time on something that was going to get us into
trouble.

They did not have enough time to implement the Groombridge dialogue. And Paul did not have enough time to lend much help to the development of SCNot3. That's it.

NOTE: You might also want to take a look at this list of unsolved mysteries in SC2.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 04:01:00 pm by Valaggar Redux » Logged
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 04:48:29 pm »

TFB had spent some time on the SC2 source with Chris Nelson before it was released as Open Source; after that, they haven't had much to do with the direction of the project. We've been in contact on occasion, but that was more for things like licensing, as far as I recall.

Fred has on occasion posted on this board, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that he frequents it. I'm not aware of any visits of Paul, but I do recall one posting by his daughter Arianna (voice of The Captain's granddaughter in the victory sequence).

As for finishing unfinished parts of the game, read this thread.

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length