The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Technical Issues (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Windows Mobile port?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: Windows Mobile port?  (Read 55133 times)
ptx
Frungy champion

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
Re: Windows Mobile port?
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2008, 04:58:26 pm »

Yep; there's no way a PC with 1 MB of RAM would have stood a chance otherwise.
What about sound/music libs? What are the mem reqs for that? ... Actually - try disabling sound and music and see if you get any further.

Make sure you're doing a release build. The debug executables are huge by iPAQ standards.
Executable size is 1,368KB, and DEBUG='0', so I'm pretty sure it's the release build
ptx
Frungy champion

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2008, 06:26:26 am »

The VMWare image (Linux guest) with Pocket PC ready-to-build environment is here (thanks Serge!):
http://uqm.stack.nl/files/other/ptx/wince/ubuntu_uqm_wince_20080405.zip

IMAGE INFO:
Size: 230MB(compressed), 700MB(uncompressed)
Memory: 256MB
Username: uqm
Password: uqm

Make sure to check /home/uqm/readme.txt.

VMWare player is available here as a free download: http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

If there are any issues with compiling using this image - feel free to send me a PM / email.

-Pavel

(This information has also been added to the wiki page.)
NamelessPlayer
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2008, 07:29:52 pm »

Great, I'm one step closer to getting it on my X50v(and probably my hx4700 too, though trying to play games like this on it would obviously suck).

The only problem is that the VMware image trickles onto my hard drive at a speed that makes 56k seem fast. Could there be a faster mirror for it?
ptx
Frungy champion

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2008, 10:25:15 pm »

It's not that bad for me - I'm able to download the entire image in under 2 hrs.
ptx
Frungy champion

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2008, 10:26:41 pm »

Great, I'm one step closer to getting it on my X50v(and probably my hx4700 too, though trying to play games like this on it would obviously suck).

That's the main reason I didn't publish a binary from the start.... W/o mouse support playing on pda's like hx4700 is nearly impossible.
NamelessPlayer
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2008, 12:00:41 am »

For me, I get estimates of eight hours for a full download, and twice already I've been about halfway through, only for the download to screw up and start from the beginning again. I'm only getting 8.7 KB/s at the moment, which is atrociously low; my best speeds were in the range of 12 KB/s for that particular download when I can get almost 500 KB/s on other downloads with good hosts.

Still, it would have been nice if you gave us a binary anyway, even if mouse/touchscreen support isn't implemented yet. It's not like I can do anything useful with the source code.
ptx
Frungy champion

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2008, 04:02:39 pm »

For me, I get estimates of eight hours for a full download, and twice already I've been about halfway through, only for the download to screw up and start from the beginning again. I'm only getting 8.7 KB/s at the moment, which is atrociously low; my best speeds were in the range of 12 KB/s for that particular download when I can get almost 500 KB/s on other downloads with good hosts.

Still, it would have been nice if you gave us a binary anyway, even if mouse/touchscreen support isn't implemented yet. It's not like I can do anything useful with the source code.

Oh, the binary has been available on the wiki page for some time now  Smiley It's actually mentioned in this thread.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 04:04:24 pm by ptx » Logged
NamelessPlayer
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2008, 06:32:57 pm »

I just got everything on the SD card ready to go, and...nothing. Whenever I tap uqm.exe on my X50v, I get pretty much the same effect as typing "xyzzy" in a text adventure; in other words, NOTHING HAPPENS.

I hope this isn't a port that requires Windows Mobile 5.0 or greater just to run-I'm sick of dealing with filesys.exe compaction thread slowdowns.
ptx
Frungy champion

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2008, 02:54:03 am »

I just got everything on the SD card ready to go, and...nothing. Whenever I tap uqm.exe on my X50v, I get pretty much the same effect as typing "xyzzy" in a text adventure; in other words, NOTHING HAPPENS.

I hope this isn't a port that requires Windows Mobile 5.0 or greater just to run-I'm sick of dealing with filesys.exe compaction thread slowdowns.

Two things:

1. Try creating a shortcut and adding parameter to specify a log file. Check out "Adding The Ur-Quan Masters command-line arguments" section on the http://wiki.uqm.stack.nl/Windows_CE_build_instructions page on adding shortcuts if you are not sure how to.

2. Default resolution is 640x480. Your PDA probably only supports 320x240. While adding that shortcut add a parameter to start in 320x240 resolution, the default might be 640x480... The parameter in question is: -r 320x240
ptx
Frungy champion

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2008, 02:58:26 am »

I've updated wiki with this (shortcut for 320x240).
NamelessPlayer
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2008, 03:31:27 am »

I tried the command line setting for creating a log file. No log files were ever created.

I even tried the QVGA resolution setting, but that still yielded nothing. (I shouldn't even have to do that on a Dell Axim X50v, though-it's VGA just like your X51v, only that it's meant to run WM2003SE rather than WM5.)

It also doesn't launch at all on my hx4700, either.

I guess I'll try installing WM6.1 on one of the two and see if that fixes it.
ptx
Frungy champion

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2008, 04:00:09 pm »

Hmmm... Although I haven't tried on older versions of WM, I would think that it still should work. That is strange.
ptx
Frungy champion

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2008, 03:24:30 am »

So far I've verified this to work on the following PDAs / smart-phones:
* Dell Axim x51 / WM5
* Sprint PPC 6700 / WM5
* Sprint HTC Touch / WM6

NOTE: key tweaks are required, mostly b/c some keys are not re-mappable from the setup menu...
ptx
Frungy champion

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2008, 04:27:18 pm »

Is there any reason Cancel key can't be made re-mappable from the setup menu?
Baby Gorilla
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2008, 04:30:31 am »

Two things:

1. Try creating a shortcut and adding parameter to specify a log file. Check out "Adding The Ur-Quan Masters command-line arguments" section on the http://wiki.uqm.stack.nl/Windows_CE_build_instructions page on adding shortcuts if you are not sure how to.

2. Default resolution is 640x480. Your PDA probably only supports 320x240. While adding that shortcut add a parameter to start in 320x240 resolution, the default might be 640x480... The parameter in question is: -r 320x240

Hi,

I've followed the instructions as much as I know how, but I get the same problem of the game just not loading when I click on the shortcut.

I wasn't sure how to really open the shortcut with a text editor, so I opened it with notepad on my Sprint Mogul (PPC 6800 w/ WM6), it had the one command line already there (path), so I added the log command line and tried to run it. Nothing. I can't find any log file either to see what's going on. Where would it be placed? in the base directory? I also added the resolution command line, but is there anything you have to add outside the quote marks? I'm just not sure what else I'm doing wrong. I followed the directions from Precompiled Binaries down contained in the wiki.

One weird thing, though. It says you have to use .6.2 version, but when I installed UQM on my PC using the .6.2 installer, it said it downloaded the .6.0 version. Could this be a problem?

I really want to get this to work, even if it's just the hyper melee right now. SC2 was one of my favorite games growing up and I still come back to it every now and then. Finding out it's 'available' for PPCs psyked me out, but not being able to get it to work is taking wind out of my sales Sad

Any help would be great! Thanks in advance all!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 04:35:12 am by Baby Gorilla » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length