The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:08:50 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Question regarding mods
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Question regarding mods  (Read 2449 times)
Sawyer
Zebranky food

View Profile
Question regarding mods
« on: March 16, 2008, 03:44:20 pm »

Hey guys,

I have been a fan of the Starflight and Star Contol games for years. What a treat to find that I can once again play Star Control on my PC. Thank you. I have the lastest release 6.2 I believe and have already played it through. I tweaked the graphics and it looks great. I want to go through the game again but this time not have to worry about the time limit (Kohr-ar death march)  So I downloaded the "Time Mod" and the "De-cleansing Mod". I cant seem to get either of them to work. I dont realy know what to do with them and they dont come with any instructions. I did notice that they state they are 6.0 mods. Does this mean they do not work with version 6.2 of the game? Please help if you can and again thank you for porting this wonderful game.  Smiley

Forgot to mention that i did do a search for any discussion regarding this topic but found nothing that gives the answer I need.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 03:46:32 pm by Sawyer » Logged
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
Re: Question regarding mods
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 05:04:29 pm »

So I downloaded the "Time Mod" and the "De-cleansing Mod". I cant seem to get either of them to work. I dont realy know what to do with them and they dont come with any instructions. I did notice that they state they are 6.0 mods. Does this mean they do not work with version 6.2 of the game? Please help if you can and again thank you for porting this wonderful game.  Smiley
Version 0.62 is just a bug fix release to 0.6, so they have the same content files. The mods are distributed as replacement executable files; just unpack to the UQM installation directory and run the mod .exe instead of the original.

The only real side effect of the mods being based on 0.6 instead of 0.62 is that you get all the bugs from version 0.6 back when you use the mod.

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
Sawyer
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 04:28:23 am »

Thanks for the reply Novus. That is kinda how I thought they were used as it was the only way I could get them to work.  I just wasnt sure because when I went into the game days seemed to be passing at the same speed as before. Should the slow down in time  be noticable on the games calender readout?
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 10:12:33 am »

Thanks for the reply Novus. That is kinda how I thought they were used as it was the only way I could get them to work.  I just wasnt sure because when I went into the game days seemed to be passing at the same speed as before. Should the slow down in time  be noticable on the games calender readout?
In the time mod, time should pass at 1/12 of the normal rate; this should be easy to notice. The de-cleansing mod simply moves the Kohr-Ah cleansing 100 years later (when starting a new game or loading a saved game).

Note that unless you rename the mod executables, existing shortcuts to UQM will start the normal game.

Sawyer
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 02:30:46 pm »

Ahhhhh, now we are getting somewhere. When I downloaded the De-cleansing mod it came with two executables. One called "ugm-debug-kh-dcm" and the other named "ugm-kh-dcm". Which do I use? Can you elaborate on the renaming of the mod executables? Name them to what? Sorry to be a pain but I guess I need some step by step guidance on  making this work.  Embarrassed
lakota.james
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 08:57:39 pm »

If you use the shortcut in the start menu it will still point to the unmodded game .exe. To use the mod, you need to make another shortcut in the start menu that points to the mod, or change the name of the mod to that of the unmodded .exe (after moving the unmodded one out of the folder), or run the game by running the .exe directly from the install folder.
This is a guess, but "uqm-kh-dcm" stands for "UQM Kor-aH De-Cleansing Mod", and therefore isn't the time mod, it just moves back the cleansing 100 years.
Don't know which .exe to use, though.
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 04:49:23 pm »

Ahhhhh, now we are getting somewhere. When I downloaded the De-cleansing mod it came with two executables. One called "ugm-debug-kh-dcm" and the other named "ugm-kh-dcm". Which do I use?
Either one will work. The one with "debug" in its name is going to be slower, but provide debugging information (which I'm pretty sure is useless to you), so I suggest you use the non-debug version.

Sawyer
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 06:56:17 pm »

Ok so I deleted the "uqm" shortcut  that was in the main Star Control folder. I renamed the mod "uqm.kh.dcm" to "uqm" and dropped it in the main folder.  When I launch the game with the renamed shortcut the game seems to work fine.  Thanks guys. Everything appears to be working great. I guess I wont know for sure until I see what year the Kor-Ah start their death march.  Wink
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 09:38:04 pm by Sawyer » Logged
countchocula86
*Smell* controller

Culture 20!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 05:46:01 pm »

Im not sure how much of an effect it will have, but I wouldnt delete the original .exe file. Just rename it to like uqm_old or something

I like to think you killed a man. It's the romantic in me.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length