The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:43:27 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Fighting Chmmr Avatar
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Fighting Chmmr Avatar  (Read 17338 times)
jaychant

Email
Re: Fighting Chmmr Avatar
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2008, 04:42:52 am »

To be honest, I wanted to play Shiver, but he wasn't there. So I played you.
Particleman42
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2008, 05:30:20 am »

To be honest, I wanted to play Shiver, but he wasn't there. So I played you.

Alright. I believe you.

Yaaay.

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent" - Issac Asimov
psydev
*Many bubbles*

Why don't all races have point defense lasers?

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2008, 06:44:29 am »

When I play against the AI, I can beat a Chmmr with a Yehat by continually flying perpendicular to the Chmmr. When he drags me in with the tractor, I put up the shields and maneuver away. I can then dish out some damage with my blasters and cut him down after 4 or 5 fly-bys. What tends to happen in Chmmr vs. Yehat when the players are Hunams?

Elvish Pillager
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2008, 02:12:10 pm »

The Chmmr forces the Yehat to stay within Zap-Sat range most of the time, so it can't shield enough to stop the damage. Chmmr takes a bunch of damage but reliably wins.

My team of four Androsynth and three Chmmr is the most unfair team ever!
My mod
Lord999
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2008, 03:53:56 am »

The only ways i can actually defeat an enemy Chmmr is by  using either a Spathi (for its long range back missles) or the Utwig (because the Utwig can absorb the attacks). And actually you can use Arilou also because they can just teleport out of the way when the enemy Chmmr is about to attack though.

Dabir
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2008, 05:09:43 pm »

If the chmmr has 2 or 3 sats spathi secondary is pretty useless, as is earthling primary, and it's pretty hard to saty out of sat range but in weapon range with arilou.
Shiver

Email
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2008, 05:30:31 pm »

The only ways i can actually defeat an enemy Chmmr is by  using either a Spathi (for its long range back missles) or the Utwig (because the Utwig can absorb the attacks). And actually you can use Arilou also because they can just teleport out of the way when the enemy Chmmr is about to attack though.

Oh definitely. My personal favorite counter is Zoq-Fot-Pik. If you manage tongue the very tip of the Chmmr laser, the injector mechanism pushes the beam back into the Chmmr and explodes it instantly. You can also beat a full sat Chmmr with Earthling if you switch to a loadout of 2x Fast ECCM MIRV missiles rather than the default unmodified 5x load.
jaychant
*Smell* controller

Please visit my homepage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2008, 05:51:36 pm »

lol I never knew Shiver could use sarcastic humor!

Please visit my homepage.
Lord999
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2008, 06:28:41 am »

i'm not completely sure if you are joking or not.  Tongue

Dabir
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2008, 12:20:33 pm »

Interesting point this brings up: Does the tongue actually take damage? I thought about that scenario and wondered if tonguing the laser would kill a ZFP.
Shiver

Email
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2008, 12:34:50 pm »

Interesting point this brings up: Does the tongue actually take damage?

No.

Fun fact: The tongue is also only present as a damage dealer for the exact frame (1/24th of a second) you press the button. It's quite possible to touch an enemy ship or projectile with the tongue afterward as it withdraws back into the ship, but you will inflict no damage. This makes the weapon a pain in the ass to use, which is likely intentional.
Lord999
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2008, 01:17:34 am »

Interesting point this brings up: Does the tongue actually take damage?

No.

Fun fact: The tongue is also only present as a damage dealer for the exact frame (1/24th of a second) you press the button. It's quite possible to touch an enemy ship or projectile with the tongue afterward as it withdraws back into the ship, but you will inflict no damage. This makes the weapon a pain in the ass to use, which is likely intentional.
I can imagine why it is a pain in the ass because the Zoq Fot Pik are a Pain in the Ass alien race.

Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2008, 01:46:39 pm »

Huh. I guess that explains why all my attempts at "slashing" enemy ships while passing them mostly failed.

What's up doc?
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2008, 04:28:49 pm »

Wait a moment. The tongue goes out instantly, and only takes time to withdraw? I didn't realize that. I thought the hard part was estimating its delay. And in the end, I guess the correct delay of 0 was hard for me to estimate.
Lord999
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2008, 04:02:42 am »

Wait a moment. The tongue goes out instantly, and only takes time to withdraw? I didn't realize that. I thought the hard part was estimating its delay. And in the end, I guess the correct delay of 0 was hard for me to estimate.
i thought i saw the tounge go out (like it took time) the last time i played as a ZFP, and it took even longer to come back. DOes very little damage though (which sucks).

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length