The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:56:40 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  More Starcon2 artwork
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Poll
Question: One of these ships, I will probably create.
Yehat   -2 (33.3%)
Melnorme   -2 (33.3%)
Androsynth (Possibly both forms)   -2 (33.3%)
Total Voters: 6

Author Topic: More Starcon2 artwork  (Read 3294 times)
Prowler2885

Email
More Starcon2 artwork
« on: May 03, 2008, 09:05:50 am »

Deviation link: http://prowler2885.deviantart.com/art/Spathi-Eluder-84578978

So... Waddya think? About frelling time I updated, right?

I might update this picture as a PSP wallpaper and even toss in stats too since I used the stat screen as reference.

Edit: Oh right, if anyone wants me to sell any of my SC2 related artwork (I only have 2 right now) as prints/posters, let me know. I kinda meant to make this a poll as well regarding that, oh well. Always next fan-art.

Edit-edit: Now I feel like a total shmuck. I missed the +poll thing at the bottom. :smacks head: ....and here we go.

Update: Okay, the votes are tallied, and those that have a vote are now competing, So far, it looks like the Yehat and Melnorme are tied for first. I'll give about 3 days until I make up my mind (depending on votes as well).
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 08:51:48 am by Prowler2885 » Logged
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
Re: More Starcon2 artwork
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 11:33:50 am »

I'd say that TFB putting the UQM content under Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 Generic is an indication to the community that they prefer any UQM-derived content to be non-commercial. To avoid problems with what constitutes a derivative work and respect the wishes of TFB, I'd suggest you follow the UQM content licence. That said, a fee to cover duplication and postage costs would probably still be "non-commercial" as defined by CC.

In other words, fan content is best when it's free.

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
Elvish Pillager
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 10:39:44 pm »

For fan art in general, the choice is between selling posters/prints and no posters/prints - so I don't see why it's a problem for the helpful artist to pick up some cash on the side. It's not as if the option of buying prints hurts anyone. (For this particular case, I don't know what the license has to say about it.)

My team of four Androsynth and three Chmmr is the most unfair team ever!
My mod
Prowler2885

Email
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 04:42:01 am »

Yeah, I kinda wanted to ask before I do anything due to licensing and whatnot.

On a side note, I'm kinda unemployed at the moment, and seeing as I am using DeviantArt to publish my works online, I was curious if anyone wanted posters and stuff with my work, on that note, make some money on the side while distributing some neat work to people that want them as a poster.

So, yeah; if licensing is a problem, I'll forget about it, and try to work on some of my original content when I have the time, and sell those instead. I know I have some kickass ideas of my own. This stuff was mostly for the SC2 fans that I think would want something of mine as a poster.

Sorry if I have become redundant. I hail from the department of redundancy department.

Thanks for the responses anyway.
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 05:02:45 pm »

For fan art in general, the choice is between selling posters/prints and no posters/prints - so I don't see why it's a problem for the helpful artist to pick up some cash on the side. It's not as if the option of buying prints hurts anyone. (For this particular case, I don't know what the license has to say about it.)
My response focused on the legal aspects rather than the ethical because it's easier to find facts about legal matters. Ethically speaking, the questions are whether TFB are entitled to money or control over their ideas, which quickly gets quite subjective. In my opinion, the purpose of payment is to encourage the artist and allow him to continue his work, so the people who put work into something should get paid. This particular image of a Spathi Discriminator/Eluder seemed a bit unoriginal.

Naturally, if TFB says it's OK, it is, legally and morally. They are also approachable enough to ask.

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
Amiga_Nut
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 06:36:12 pm »

XD

I keep my old Amiga on a flash-drive. Tongue

Prowler2885

Email
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 06:40:04 pm »

Well, actually, I was regarding more with the Slylandro Probe, and how cool I think it would look as a poster. I mean, I already knew that the Spathi was an unoriginal idea (as is the Slylandro), but I was considering with the updated looks and whatnot; but I already decided not to sell. (might as well shut off the poll since the responses seem quite clear).

edit: Actually, I have a better idea. I'm changing the poll to "What do you want me to create next?". I already know I'm not selling, but making these were pretty fun.

2nd-edit: About the poll, with the Vindicator, I tried remaking the Outfit Starship screen (or at least make a vector version of the vindicator), it's unfinished, so that's why the option for the Vindicator is up.

Ideas:
- The Mycon Podship (with my skill with spheres in Photoshop) sounds like a neat task, especially making the fusion ball and exterior.
- The Ilwrath, I have a cool idea of how to make it cloak, or be shown in mid-cloak.
- Melnorme (again, spheres, but a different surface material type)
- Androsynth, making the 2nd form would seem pretty cool. I can do other special effects than lightning and spheres you know.
- Yehat, making the shields is what intrigues me. It'll look better than the energy field the Slylandro Probe generates in my last pic.
- Chenjesu, the crystals seem like a pretty neat thing to tinker with, even the D.O.G.s being crystal bubbles sounds pretty neat to do.
- Arilou, Not really too much I can work with on this one.

Some of these, I might actually have to draw before making, the Probe and the Eluder I made completely from scratch, but some of the others I may have to draw on paper (or tablet) first, then vector and airbrush later.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 07:04:28 pm by Prowler2885 » Logged
Particleman42
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 08:31:52 pm »

I said Ilwrath, the cloaking idea seems cool. Very good job on that Eluder and Probe, by the way!

PS: "ORZ" doesn't need to be capitalized like that in the poll.

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent" - Issac Asimov
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 01:00:05 am »

You shouldn't let go of that selling idea already. We need more merchandise if you ask me. You just need to clear it with TFB first.

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
Cedric6014
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 01:09:35 am »

[picture of a Spathi Eluder]

XD

Someone please tell me what the hell XD means

Moderator edit: removed image from quote.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 11:07:20 am by meep-eep » Logged

Play online melee here! http://irc.uqm.stack.nl/
Particleman42
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 01:23:13 am »

Someone please tell me what the hell XD means

It means laughing - X is eyes and D is laughing mouth. Think LOL :)

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent" - Issac Asimov
PakoPako
*Many bubbles*

Lost, Irresponsible, and Stupidly Daring

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 11:18:51 pm »

Heh. Reminds me of SC1 on the PC; those were good times.

-=PakoPako=-

"This was brought to you by FRUNGY, the Sport of Kings!"
Prowler2885

Email
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2008, 05:34:24 am »

In fact, that is what the picture is based on. It's a more up-to-date remake. Kinda also why I wanted to overlay the stats for it.

Note: Quite subtle, but noticeable, I duplicated the background as best I could as well. Stars and flare spots. Of course, the extra spots were to fill in the blank areas. I wanted to make plenty of room for other neat stuff, like the nifty nebular background..
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length