The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:08:31 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  The Zoq-Fot-Pik Stinger is a great ship.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: The Zoq-Fot-Pik Stinger is a great ship.  (Read 11365 times)
Critta
Zebranky food

My 6 pound brown trout

View Profile
The Zoq-Fot-Pik Stinger is a great ship.
« on: May 15, 2008, 04:11:36 pm »

For 6 points, you can't go wrong. The ships that it can fairly easily beat include the Mycon Podship and the Orz Nemesis, both 23 point ships. Even in the hands of a skilled pilot, it can defeat a Kohr-Ah Maruder and a Spathi Eluder. The cannon can take out many Ur-Quan fighters. All of these ships cost way more than the Stinger, and if the Stinger is lost, it is no big deal. Sure, it gets easily destroyed by many things, but it is still a much better ship than the Arilou Skiff.

Space is a tough place where wimps eat flaming plasma death.
Matticus
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
Re: The Zoq-Fot-Pik Stinger is a great ship.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 06:15:31 pm »

I was with you right up until you said it's a better ship than the Skiff. Maybe I just suck at using the Stinger, but with an Arilou ship I can consistently take out Androsynth, Chenjesu, Mycon, Orz, Spathi, Supox, Syreen, Thraddash, Ur-Quan, VUX, and ZFP ships. I can much less often take out Mmrnmhrm, Umgah, Utwig, and Yehat ships. Granted some of these battles require a lot of patience or a little bit of luck, but human players always make mistakes and the AI is pretty easy to fool.

Although it's not my favorite ship I still have much love for the Skiff. =)

philosophy is the talk on a cereal box
religion is a smile on a dog
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 06:51:17 pm »

But the skiff costs 3x as much, and it has counters.

Whatever they use to counter your stinger, it won't be (much) cheaper than the stinger itself.
Matticus
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 08:45:28 pm »

Still just preference I guess, but I can beat a wider variety of ships with the Skiff than I can with a Stinger. But really this depends on the definition of "better" in this context. I still think the Skiff is a more effective ship, but that doesn't mean it is more cost effective (a point which I never disputed).

philosophy is the talk on a cereal box
religion is a smile on a dog
Shiver

Email
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 09:30:38 pm »

Gonna have to disagree. The Shofixti is far superior to the ZFP. It costs 1 point less and is insanely versatile. Part of the reason we don't play dupes is so that it doesn't break down into a suicide bomber war. I've seen the ZFP be used effectively in three ways:

1) Sacrificial starter. And I do mean sacrificial. It will lose to just about everything. Even Shofixti does this better, but people who play ZFP at the start generally want to keep their Shofixti around for something in particular.

2) Risky Earthling counter. Not very reliable, but Tiberian can pull it off with some consistency so there's that.

3) Risky Mycon counter. Tricky to perform, but a little safer than going after Earthling.

Even in the hands of a skilled pilot, it can defeat a Kohr-Ah Maruder and a Spathi Eluder.

No, no, no. Wait, is this another one of those threads about smacking around the cyborg?
PakoPako
*Many bubbles*

Lost, Irresponsible, and Stupidly Daring

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 09:44:20 pm »

No, no, no. Wait, is this another one of those threads about smacking around the cyborg?
If it isn't I still remember using the ZFP Stinger with some degree of success against Dreadnaughts; the ZFP is quick enough to trap fighters against planets, or to shoot them down with that... circle-y bit that flies REALLY fast... and the Dreadnaught is a big enough target for the tongue to work wonders (a hit or two can severely cripple the cruiser).

Still, my memory might be mistaken; I thought I remembered the Stinger having 8-12 crew and not six.

I do agree the the Shofixti Scout is heavily overlooked; their speed and maneuverbility coupled with their main weapon range make for a strong annoyance. Plus the potential damage of a glory device?

-=PakoPako=-

"This was brought to you by FRUNGY, the Sport of Kings!"
countchocula86
*Smell* controller

Culture 20!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 09:44:34 pm »

I think what it comes down to is how quickly you get get in orbit around a planet and how well you are at whipping/aiming. The problem is that faster ships can beat you to the planet and destroy you, or are just good at dodging you when you do whip.

I like to think you killed a man. It's the romantic in me.
Elvish Pillager
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 10:45:28 pm »

If it isn't I still remember using the ZFP Stinger with some degree of success against Dreadnaughts;
One, Dreadnaughts are not something you need a counter for. Two, ZFP are pretty large and not the most maneuverable, so it's quite difficult to do any damage.

Still, my memory might be mistaken; I thought I remembered the Stinger having 8-12 crew and not six.
It has ten.

My team of four Androsynth and three Chmmr is the most unfair team ever!
My mod
jaychant

Email
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 03:00:55 am »

shoot them down with that... circle-y bit that flies REALLY fast...

It's an antimatter spray cannon.
Dancing Fungus
*Many bubbles*

Armor always looks cool with extra techno...right?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 04:41:08 pm »

The Zoq-Fot-Pik can also be decent against VUX. The VUX ship is uselessly slow, and it's weapon's range is shorter.
However, the VUX can often kill you at the start unless you can maneuver away quickly. Also, if the VUX pillboxes around a planet, you'll have to be very cautious.

Your best bet is to get the VUX away from the planet and ride circles around it while spraying the pellet gun at it. It'll go down without too much trouble if you do it right.

Thrice thy blinded cat hath mewed....
jaychant

Email
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 09:06:47 pm »

Of course, if you are hit with a limpet, you're ruined.
Shiver

Email
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 04:45:21 am »

The Zoq-Fot-Pik can also be decent against VUX. The VUX ship is uselessly slow, and it's weapon's range is shorter.
However, the VUX can often kill you at the start unless you can maneuver away quickly. Also, if the VUX pillboxes around a planet, you'll have to be very cautious.

Your best bet is to get the VUX away from the planet and ride circles around it while spraying the pellet gun at it. It'll go down without too much trouble if you do it right.

VUX mauls ZFP even without taking the surprise warp into account. Who are you playing against that loses their VUX to your ZFP?

Quote from: PakoPako
If it isn't I still remember using the ZFP Stinger with some degree of success against Dreadnaughts

And this is so wrong I'm embarrassed to even put quote tags around it. Ur-Quan's ship is a banana boat alright, but it's not so bad that it loses to the itty bitty ZFP in player vs player.
jaychant

Email
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2008, 12:37:28 pm »

Shiver, there you are doing it again. Angry Remember what you said over at this thread. This is strike one.

Although I agree with you, Shiver, that the ZFP could not easily defeat a Dreadnought (although it could be done), it is rude to just say "This is so wrong! What are you talking about?!" Instead say nothing or say something like "Of course, just two fusion bolts could finish you, so you need to be careful."

For a good example, look at this:

This isn't implying that the strategy sucks, it merely says that if you make just one small mistake, you're ruined.

And everyone else, stand up for yourselves. Don't let Shiver put you down. Remember, you're not less of a person if you aren't a perfect melee professional. I'm not a melee professional at all, but that doesn't mean I'm going to take what Shiver says.
Shiver

Email
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2008, 01:36:37 pm »

Shiver, there you are doing it again. Angry Remember what you said over at this thread. This is strike one.

For a good example, look at this:

Quote from: jaychant

This isn't implying that the strategy sucks, it merely says that if you make just one small mistake, you're ruined.

There isn't a "ROLLEYES.jpg" big enough for this occasion. Learn to read timestamps, jaychant.
jaychant

Email
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2008, 09:05:48 pm »

What counts is that they were both during the same session. You could've edited that post, you know.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length