The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 11:38:29 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Player-Versus-Player Strategy Guide v0.2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Player-Versus-Player Strategy Guide v0.2  (Read 17165 times)
SweetSassyMolassy
*Smell* controller

View Profile
Re: Player-Versus-Player Strategy Guide v1.1
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2008, 11:39:00 pm »

I've mentioned it before, but you and elvish pillager should try arilou vs androsynth

I am not always understand about what you speak, unfortunately.
Shiver

Email
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2008, 12:22:44 am »

I've mentioned it before, but you and elvish pillager should try arilou vs androsynth

We did already, but it wouldn't hurt to give that a second look at some point. The previous conclusion was that chain teleporting dropped Arilou inside bubbles as often as it would put you were you wanted to be and the ship was too fragile while not fast enough.
SweetSassyMolassy
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2008, 03:50:45 am »

ah, true about the bubbles. the comp is so stupid that it's easy to out maneuver it.

-One other thing was that I played an utwig vs. a melnorme and realized how great melnorme was against it, I think. It's just that the melnorme special attack disables the utwig shield.
Maybe this was already known, or maybe I'm wrong, but I hadn't heard of it before.

I am not always understand about what you speak, unfortunately.
Resh Aleph
*Smell* controller

Rottem Tomatoes

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2008, 04:57:30 pm »

So I've been comparing v1.1 of the guide with v1.0, and found a few ships which might possibly be missing from the lists of targets/counters (based on the outlooks in v1.0). You're probably aware of all this, but here goes anyway...

Androsynth targets: Arilou, Ilwrath, Shofixti.
Androsynth counters: Chmmr, Yehat.

Arilou targets: Thraddash.
Arilou counters: Chenjesu, Chmmr, Kohr-Ah, Orz, Ur-Quan, Utwig, Yehat.

Chenjesu counters: Chmmr (full crew), Kohr-Ah.

Also, I have a few more "corrections". I suppose you might just ignore these, I'm being more obsessive than Valaggar here.
  • In Druuge, "your cruiser": I would capitalize "Cruiser", as it's the ship's actual name and not just "a cruiser".
  • In Androsynth and Arilou: Earthling comes before Druuge in the target lists, while the rest is in alphabetical order.
  • In Fundamentals and Druuge: "vs" should be "vs." with a dot.
God I'm insane. Sad
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 01:47:00 am by alephresh » Logged

Marines on Maulers and limpets on Earthlings  /  Bright Podship plasma and warm Kohr-Ah death rings  /
Shofixti Scouts doing gravity whips  /  These are a few of my favorite ships!
       © meep-eep
Elvish Pillager
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2008, 08:10:04 pm »

I believe the idea is to list specifically the targets and counters that are remotely efficient point-wise. (Note that, for instance, Ilwrath is actually recommended as a potential counter for Androsynth.)

My team of four Androsynth and three Chmmr is the most unfair team ever!
My mod
Shiver

Email
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2008, 09:28:29 pm »

So I've been comparing v1.1 of the guide with v1.0, and found a few ships which might possibly be missing from the lists of targets/counters (based on the outlooks in v1.0). You're probably aware of all this, but here goes anyway...

Androsynth targets: Arilou, Ilwrath, Shofixti.
Androsynth counters: Chmmr, Yehat.

Arilou targets: Thraddash.
Arilou counters: Chenjesu, Chmmr, Kohr-Ah, Orz, Ur-Quan, Utwig, Yehat.

Chenjesu counters: Chmmr (full crew), Kohr-Ah.

Also, I have a few more "corrections". I suppose you might just ignore these, I'm being more obsessive than Valaggar here.
  • In Mauler, "your cruiser": I would capitalize "Cruiser", as it's the ship's actual name and not just "a cruiser".
  • In Androsynth and Arilou: Earthling comes before Druuge in the target lists, while the rest is in alphabetical order.
  • In Fundamentals and Druuge: "vs" should be "vs." with a dot.
God I'm insane. Sad

You're a nazi, but you live in Israel?

Okay, sorry, that was in bad taste. Your first set of corrections is mostly irrelevant and I'm not bothering with them. Thraddash, for instance, is a retardedly overpowered ship that's almost never fun to deal with so I don't list it in counters. Do you know what is actually involved in killing one with Arilou? It's not anything resembling entertaining gameplay. That said, I'll give Thraddash a real article when I get to its place on the list describing how to abuse it at its absolute worst.

The second set of corrections is useful to me and I'll go about fixing the listed things, though possibly not as you imagined in some places.

EDIT: As soon as this forum allows me to edit posts of mine on the first page! Something is very wrong here.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 09:36:58 pm by Shiver » Logged
Resh Aleph
*Smell* controller

Rottem Tomatoes

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2008, 10:06:59 pm »

The targets/counters weren't meant to be "corrections", just the results of a simple comparison which I thought I might share, in case they're of any value to you. Obviously not. Tongue

EDIT: As soon as this forum allows me to edit posts of mine on the first page! Something is very wrong here.

Time limit? Undecided

Marines on Maulers and limpets on Earthlings  /  Bright Podship plasma and warm Kohr-Ah death rings  /
       © meep-eep
Shiver

Email
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2008, 11:53:10 pm »

Time limit? Undecided

Meep-Eep says one was implemented somewhat recently. He's bumped the limit up a bit, but I'm going to have to run this thread through several iterations before it's finished. There will likely be a 1.2, 1.3, etc. Wait, that's wrong too. This should be 0.2. Holy crap, Shiver.
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2008, 01:49:05 am »

Time limit? Undecided

Meep-Eep says one was implemented somewhat recently. He's bumped the limit up a bit, but I'm going to have to run this thread through several iterations before it's finished. There will likely be a 1.2, 1.3, etc. Wait, that's wrong too. This should be 0.2. Holy crap, Shiver.

I don't think that I have said anything about when this was implemented. I expect that it's been like this for over half a year now. I never liked the fact that people could just edit their old postings and erase history (which has happened in the past), so when I discovered this setting, I turned it on.

I've changed the limit from 30 days to 60 days for Shiver now, but I think that that is too long for normal postings. It would have been better if I could set it to count from the last edit date, instead of from the original posting date.

Btw, did I mention that the Ultronomicon would be a much better place for this? Tongue

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
Shiver

Email
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2008, 02:28:36 am »

Btw, did I mention that the Ultronomicon would be a much better place for this? Tongue

The PDF file suggested by Amiga Nut seems like the best idea for when it's finished, but that might be a better place for this in the meantime. I will move this onto the Ultronomicon on the condition that no one ever touches my stuff. Keep those guest corrections on a talk page. Is that possible? I know nothing about wikis.
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2008, 08:47:09 am »

The PDF file suggested by Amiga Nut seems like the best idea for when it's finished, but that might be a better place for this in the meantime. I will move this onto the Ultronomicon on the condition that no one ever touches my stuff. Keep those guest corrections on a talk page. Is that possible? I know nothing about wikis.

Hmm... if you don't want anyone else to contribute to it, then the Ultronomicon may not be a better place after all. Although I guess it could be put in your user namespace, say 'User:Shiver/Strategy_Guide'. I can't make the decision whether that is acceptable on my own though.
The wiki software does not prevent anyone else from editing those pages, though it is against nettiquette to edit someone else's user pages.

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
Shiver

Email
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2008, 11:58:40 am »

Quote from: Ultronomicon
Be bold when editing

If you have a problem with (part of) a page, by all means edit it. No one "owns" a page.

What I'm asking for seems to go against that which makes a wiki be a wiki. Gonna stick with the forums as a drawing board for now.
countchocula86
*Smell* controller

Culture 20!

View Profile
Re: Player-Versus-Player Strategy Guide v0.2
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2008, 05:35:14 pm »

It doesnt feel like a wiki will work for ya Shiver, so Id say just keep using the forum. Its not a big deal if you have to keep making new threads because you cant go back and edit, we know you arent spamming and I think this guide is a highly worthwhile project

I like to think you killed a man. It's the romantic in me.
Resh Aleph
*Smell* controller

Rottem Tomatoes

View Profile
I don't want to be pesky, but I can't help it. :'(
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2008, 02:01:14 am »

There's more than one instance of "vs" in Druuge, by the way.

* alephresh runs away from a raging Shiver.

Oh cool, /me works here.

© meep-eep
Shiver

Email
Re: I don't want to be pesky, but I can't help it. :'(
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2008, 02:50:38 am »

There's more than one instance of "vs" in Druuge, by the way.

* alephresh runs away from a raging Shiver.

Oh cool, /me works here.

If you ask me, I don't see what's so bad about the missing period.  Tongue

Let's go fix that.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length