The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:37:29 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  A theory about Vux-Orz relations...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: A theory about Vux-Orz relations...  (Read 3334 times)
Main
Zebranky food

View Profile
A theory about Vux-Orz relations...
« on: June 20, 2008, 09:22:54 am »

In SC2 when you question the Orz about their sudden arrival, they (the Orz) briefly mention their distinctly hostile-sounding relationship with the VUX.

I, myself pushed the *fingers* into the *new town* and there are so many *campers*.
First the VUX, but they are such *silly cows*
they ask so much about the Androsynth we must *dance* with them.

The VUX are clearly not an amiable race, and it may simply be the case that their confrontational nature instantly caused problems with the Orz. However, in reference Captain Rand's infamous Insult, VUX translation technology is often hinted at as being notably advanced. Perhaps this may have allowed the VUX to see past the confusing Orz speech patterns, to something that the VUX clearly found sinister. Unfortunately, none of the VUX dialogue shows any mention of the Orz, so I can't confirm this idea.

Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
Re: A theory about Vux-Orz relations...
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 09:44:12 am »

It might also just be that the VUX, as a Hierarchy race, felt obligated to find out what happened to their fellow Thrall race. Not out of any obligation to the (urk) hideous Andrsoynth themselves, but out of a healthy self preservation instinct. I doubt the Ur-Quan would be terribly happy to hear that the VUX didn't show the least bit of interest in this potential threat against their masters.

What's up doc?
waywardoctagon
*Many bubbles*

More information...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 09:48:36 am »

It might also just be that the VUX, as a Hierarchy race, felt obligated to find out what happened to their fellow Thrall race. Not out of any obligation to the (urk) hideous Andrsoynth themselves, but out of a healthy self preservation instinct. I doubt the Ur-Quan would be terribly happy to hear that the VUX didn't show the least bit of interest in this potential threat against their masters.

Seems likely... especially since the Orz say specifically that it was because they asked about the Androsynth too much, as opposed to just general hostility.
Main
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 10:00:11 am »

Yeah, I suppose... It just always struck me as interesting that the Orz highlights the VUX as one of very few of the 'current' races they have encountered (the only other I recall is the Arilou). Probably just a result of proximity; the only other nearby race is the Spathi, and they wouldn't go out of their way to provoke the Orz with questions.

Shiver

Email
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 08:30:09 pm »

A guess: The VUX likely have a lot to say about the Orz, but not to a trespassing human captain. So there's no dialogue about it from their end.
SweetSassyMolassy
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 09:27:14 pm »

VUX aren't amiable to humans, but I can't tell if they'd be amiable to other races. Admiral zex could at least pretend to be nice to humans, so they're at least capable of being deceptively nice. They'd probably respond better to a fish face, or maybe they wouldn't.

I am not always understand about what you speak, unfortunately.
Elerium
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 10:40:35 pm »

Like others have said, it's like what if one of your thrall allies which was very close in proximity to where you are just suddenly stopped answering communications, you naturally check it out. The VUX arrived, discovered the Androsynth had completely as a race been eaten alive/displaced by the Orz so obviously would have demanded to find out what happened to them, as they to the VUX would be seen as a hostile race or threat to the Hierarchy which had somehow annihilated and replaced the Androsynth in a truly baffling way.

I think the whole translator thing is just VUX glorification, like "we're better than your pitiful species". For all it's worth those "superior translators" could have twisted that Captain's words into what they wanted to hear giving them a good excuse to join the war on the Ur-Quan's side knowing they couldn't live with themselves if they went to the Alliance.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 10:46:38 pm by Elerium » Logged
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 07:00:21 am »

I think the whole translator thing is just VUX glorification, like "we're better than your pitiful species". For all it's worth those "superior translators" could have twisted that Captain's words into what they wanted to hear giving them a good excuse to join the war on the Ur-Quan's side knowing they couldn't live with themselves if they went to the Alliance.

This is an interesting idea. I think the game (or manuals) mentions that Captain Rand actually did insult the VUX though, and we did name them Very Ugly Xenoform. But I suppose they overplayed the severity of the insult and milked it for all that they could.

What's up doc?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length