The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:29:30 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Starbase Café (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Are video games artistic?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Are video games artistic?  (Read 7916 times)
Battlefrank
Zebranky food

View Profile
Re: Are video games artistic?
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2008, 04:11:27 am »

I dissagree.
About the graphics thing, that's what really makes me angry. People valuing graphics above gameplay.
A debate with a PS3 fanboy ended tragically with "but you do agree that gameplay is what really matters, right?"
"no, man Graphics all the way"
There was this feeling I had. For the first time, I actually wanted someone dead. I call this feeling natural selection.
I didn't kill him, of course, that would be stupid. But I couldn't talk to him anymore. I think graphics are valued too highly.
SC2 is the best game ever in my opinion, and it has horrible graphics by today's standards.

...so you actually wanted someone dead for having a different viewpoint? Amazing.
You would have to hear the endless stupidities he defended his console. It's more realer than PC you know. I am not Kohr-Ah.
Also, for using a PC you are a faggot.
Just spreading his wonderful wisdom.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 04:13:00 am by Battlefrank » Logged
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2008, 09:16:33 am »

...so you actually wanted someone dead for having a different viewpoint? Amazing.

I suspect (or hope) some hyperbole is involved.

Straying from the whole art discussion to graphics, I wonder if hat is just a change in attitude. I mean, if you view a modern game as more of a movie than something that requires active participation then graphics are more important. If you don't want to actually play a game as such as move between cut scenes by way of mini games, you probably wont be interested in anything too taxing. I mean, you wouldn't want to see parts of the same movie over and over again just because some part is a bit hard.

What's up doc?
RTyp06
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2008, 01:31:12 am »

@ Battlefrank

When I run into people like that I usually (not always) just stop conversing with them, it's not worth it. And I agree that graphics are not the most important aspect of a game, by far. That said, a game with good graphics AND good gameplay makes for somthing special. These seem a rarity from my perspective.

@Luki

I think you are correct about a change in attitude. Kids today probably wouldn't spend more than five minutes on the games I spent hours, even days playing back in the day. But to be fair, I probably would have a similar attitude growing up playing today's modern titles.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length