The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:59:03 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Player-Versus-Player Strategy Guide v0.2.5
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Player-Versus-Player Strategy Guide v0.2.5  (Read 9071 times)
startopia
Zebranky food

View Profile
Re: Player-Versus-Player Strategy Guide v0.2.5
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2008, 02:13:32 pm »

Druuge vs. Mmrnmhrm: This is a hard match-up to give advice for because it's so free form. The key here is that Mmrnmhrm can't turn very quickly as a Y-Wing. This leads to it following a rather predictable flight path which allows for easy hits.
Am I the only one who's conservative with the throttle on the transformer? I do not think the druudge is a good counter.

How do you adjust your druudge shots for a transformer flying half speed and ready to dodge with a quick tap on the arrow?

Those long distance shots are already hard and the transformer can keep a distance while cruising leisurely. If that mmrmmr player is as good at judging shots as the druudge player is a good aim, great acceleration will make up for the slow turn rate.

The flight path is only easy to predict when the transformer doesn't let go of the throttle. I prefer to fly in wide circles with the nose aimed somewhere between the centre of the circle and the velocity vector and then gently accelerate with a short bursts.

For the rest I love this guide and I would agree that the transformer is the best allround ship. Great read.
Shiver

Email
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2008, 03:14:44 pm »

Druuge vs. Mmrnmhrm: This is a hard match-up to give advice for because it's so free form. The key here is that Mmrnmhrm can't turn very quickly as a Y-Wing. This leads to it following a rather predictable flight path which allows for easy hits.
Am I the only one who's conservative with the throttle on the transformer? I do not think the druudge is a good counter.

How do you adjust your druudge shots for a transformer flying half speed and ready to dodge with a quick tap on the arrow?

Those long distance shots are already hard and the transformer can keep a distance while cruising leisurely. If that mmrmmr player is as good at judging shots as the druudge player is a good aim, great acceleration will make up for the slow turn rate.

The flight path is only easy to predict when the transformer doesn't let go of the throttle. I prefer to fly in wide circles with the nose aimed somewhere between the centre of the circle and the velocity vector and then gently accelerate with a short bursts.

Well, I suppose you could try it against a few people in the arena. EP seems to have very little trouble beating Mmrnmhrm with Druuge. I personally have seen mixed results.

For the rest I love this guide and I would agree that the transformer is the best allround ship. Great read.

Actually, I rank them something like this:

1) Androsynth
2) Druuge
3) Slylandro
4) Melnorme
5) Mmrnmhrm

Ship cost plays a big role in this. Melnorme and Mmrnmhrm are roughly equal, but one costs more than the other. Utwig might be the most important ship to have in your fleet, but only if the other player is using Kohr-Ah or Chmmr. Utwig's worth plummets against fleets containing neither ship. It's difficult to assign Utwig a rank for that reason.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 02:58:13 am by Shiver » Logged
startopia
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2008, 04:00:39 pm »

Actually, I rank them something like this:

1) Androsynth
2) Druuge
3) Slylandro
4) Melnorme
5) Mmrnmhrm
Sorry, I guess projected my own view too much onto that. You wrote "most well-rounded" not all-round.

Still I reckon the transformer is the best all-round ship. Only the avatar can easily beat the transformer. All the other match-ups are challenging.
I rate the slylandro and melnorme highly also. The androsynth is the only ship in the original heirarchy line-up that I would consider good. All three the transformer will beat.

The suppox also has alot of potential IMO. I think in skilled hands the blade can be top 5.

Elvish Pillager
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2008, 05:45:17 pm »

When the transformer is flying like that is a good time to recuperate energy. Mmrnmhrm have very little maneuverability if they want to stay in that state.

Also, Supox is not worth 16 even for a very skilled player, and the top five are all worth more than their given price.

My team of four Androsynth and three Chmmr is the most unfair team ever!
My mod
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length