The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:27:54 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Starbase Café (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  The decade when music died
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: The decade when music died  (Read 6530 times)
SweetSassyMolassy
*Smell* controller

View Profile
The decade when music died
« on: August 13, 2008, 03:34:08 am »

I'm talking about 1995-2005, approximately. What the hell happened to pop music in America over these ten years? And why is it getting worse? I'm tired of college brats (and high school brats) that emulate the egos of crappy rap stars. What happened to rock music on the radio, and why does it seem like it's declining in appreciation?

Here's the formula for a (bad) rap song, which incorporates about 95% of the genre:

Catchy synth beat with lots of bass and drum
-opens with a hook
-verse:
   I'm as cool as a (simile)
   and you're as lame as a (simile)
   I make more money then (allusion or metaphor)
   I get more women then (allusion or metaphor)
   Reference to sports or rap star, defaming or faming them
   Here's the DJ
-beat drops
-stupid chorus with a more hyper catchy beat
-repeat

Every top ten list has at least 8 of these stupid songs. This creates a vicious circle because the more dumb rap stars get their voice heard, the more an impressionable person is going to wear their clothes and pretend like they have a rapper's personality.

It's killing youth in America. There's no value to any of this music. I know that a lot of music on the radio has little value, but at least in '95 when Sonic Youth and R.E.M. were still topping the charts, they were creating music that was worth listening to.

I am not always understand about what you speak, unfortunately.
countchocula86
*Smell* controller

Culture 20!

View Profile
Re: The decade when music died
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 07:48:19 am »

Are we talking at rap specifically then? Or was that formula for a rap song just an example?

I think almost any song can have a formula applied to it, that doesn't necessarily mean that the whole genre has failed.

I like to think you killed a man. It's the romantic in me.
SweetSassyMolassy
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 01:48:33 pm »

yes, this is all directed at main stream rap. I'm saying that 95% of the genre is formulaic, following the formula I wrote. You can't say that for rock music.

That's not why the genre failed. It failed because of what the lines of each song is saying. There's no value in it.

I am not always understand about what you speak, unfortunately.
RTyp06
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 05:27:15 am »

Kurt Cobain died in 1994 ... Cause or coincidence? Wink

Kurt

Elerium
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 12:55:00 pm »

New music sucks terribly, and I'm from the UK. I'm finding that I'm wanting to listen to game music tracks like the kind found in C&C, Emperor Battle for Dune and other game songs more than any music that's broadcasted, because those are tracks which have sweat put into them. How did music end up being so good and so various to repetitive (c)rap?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 12:56:35 pm by Elerium » Logged
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 02:16:40 am »

New music sucks terribly, and I'm from the UK. I'm finding that I'm wanting to listen to game music tracks like the kind found in C&C, Emperor Battle for Dune and other game songs more than any music that's broadcasted, because those are tracks which have sweat put into them. How did music end up being so good and so various to repetitive (c)rap?
Frank Klepacki is definitely one of the greats of computer game music, and his website has a very nice (albeit slow) jukebox with high quality copies of much of his work. Extracting the MP3s is left as an exercise for the student (hint: you need a list of tunes, some idea where the music is stored and some software).

Now please excuse me while I see how loud I can play "Mechanical Man" at 3 AM before someone disrupts my power supply. Grin

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
Shiver

Email
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 02:52:06 am »

I'm finding that I'm wanting to listen to game music tracks like the kind found in C&C, Emperor Battle for Dune and other game songs more than any music that's broadcasted, because those are tracks which have sweat put into them.

I do this too sometimes, but wouldn't admit to it outside of a nerdy gaming community like this one. If someone mentions game music in real life, I return my best blank stare. Think I might need to meet a few new friends.
Ph
Zebranky food

baby we can photoshop until we both rofl

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 09:00:35 am »

Frank Klepacki is definitely one of the greats of computer game music, and his website has a very nice (albeit slow) jukebox with high quality copies of much of his work. Extracting the MP3s is left as an exercise for the student (hint: you need a list of tunes, some idea where the music is stored and some software).

Now please excuse me while I see how loud I can play "Mechanical Man" at 3 AM before someone disrupts my power supply. Grin

This thread is now about our favorite video game music composers.  Tim Follin is mine.
Dabir
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 10:47:25 am »

Who was behind Hellmarch 2 from CnCRA2?
Elerium
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2008, 09:11:12 pm »

Who was behind Hellmarch 2 from CnCRA2?

Frank Klepacki again Wink

(He did all the RA2 music iirc)
Galactic
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2008, 10:21:43 pm »

Yeah Frank Klepacki is the king of game music.
Dabir
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2008, 12:17:29 am »

The guys behind Chrono Trigger and FF6 come in a close second then.
Zeracles
Frungy champion

Icon of X

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2008, 12:27:39 pm »

What, no mention of Stephane Picq's dune tracks? Try Morning Sunrise, Sekvence and Arakeen Palace, they were possibly the strongest aspect of that old game.

And as usual, the protoss are the best (reply 14 in that thread).

How about all that great midi doom music (not doom 3)? I think it was just one composer, can't remember his name though.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 12:33:56 pm by Zeracles » Logged

Fear not the Arch Viles and Spectres of the Deepest Reaches, for the X is strong in this place.
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2008, 04:57:10 pm »

I do this too sometimes, but wouldn't admit to it outside of a nerdy gaming community like this one. If someone mentions game music in real life, I return my best blank stare.

This is a wise course of action. I have a few friend who aren't always make the distinction between "gamer talk" and "non-gamer talk" and it can make for some really awkward situations.

Think I might need to meet a few new friends.

Aren't all the friends you need are right here? Wink

What's up doc?
AngusThermopyle
*Smell* controller

A paranoid android.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 09:40:01 pm »

Kurt Cobain died in 1994 ... Cause or coincidence? Wink

Kurt

I myself always pinned Cobain's death and Soundgarden's breakup a couple of years later on the late 90s music decline.

I do, however, know that good new music is still out there, just not as prevalent. Most of it is no longer mainstream though (ie, you're not going to hear most of it on the radio).
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length