The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:14:51 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  News spot/SC map/Nutsack
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: News spot/SC map/Nutsack  (Read 2251 times)
countchocula86
*Smell* controller

Culture 20!

View Profile
News spot/SC map/Nutsack
« on: August 17, 2008, 04:12:11 pm »

So I just noticed the News thing at the top of the forum, which leads to this: http://sc2.sourceforge.net/#photomap

And I was very curious, has anyone from our forum had a chance to send something off yet?

I like to think you killed a man. It's the romantic in me.
Amiga_Nut
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
Re: News spot/SC map/Nutsack
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 08:26:38 pm »

I'm full of ideas regarding my eventual entry. I plan to include an image along with a compelling recommendation to have the next SC follow closely as possible the game play capabilities of the Frontier Elite series. Braben's latest endeavor Elite 4 will most likely prove to be vapor ware. All other games in the genera: Independence War, X1 2 3, Colony Wars, X-Wing, Freespace, Wing Commander, Etc. all have fallen short of the gamers lust for a truly open ended and realistic space simulation game. Nearly every forum of the afore mentioned games contain countless posts of people saying things like: "Why can't I land on any planets?" "Why can't the transition from ground to space be seamless?" "The scale is totally unrealistic!" "Why doesn’t planets gravity affect my ship when I'm out in space?" There are a plethora of space games out now that boggle the mind with endless menus and tedious game play elements that don't truly hit the mark. Good graphics are not enough. Imagine a totally revamped 3D Starflight, with SC and Elite game play characteristics. Done correctly the game could become legendary! Perhaps I’m nuts. A fool can dream, can’t he?

Anyway, I'm sure that if there is to be another Star Control, we can kiss the top down 2D game play goodbye. 3D is the future.

I keep my old Amiga on a flash-drive. Tongue

Prowler2885

Email
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 05:28:32 am »

I dunno. It could be either an unlockable, or a playable option. Especially for us old farts that loved that classic style of playing. As for story mode, I'm not sure.
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 08:17:16 pm »

The way to go is a 3D game, but with a 2D playing field, imho. And if you've played Pandemonium, you'll know that TFB can make it work.

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
countchocula86
*Smell* controller

Culture 20!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 06:02:34 am »

Im not all that concerned really, a new game would be 3D as making a full 2D game would just be pandering to us, and Im sure the key to the games 'birthing' would be convincing Activision that a new SC game will draw in fresh fans.

My concern is that the game be as entertaining as SC2, which just happened  to be a great mix of an intense plot, light characters, and efficient use of sci-fi stereotypes. But really, with SC2 as a set up and Toys for Bob workin on it, how could it fail

I like to think you killed a man. It's the romantic in me.
Dabir
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 02:32:47 pm »

Well, having gone all that way to convince Activision to let them make it, they could, in a fit of spite, make something like SCnot3, isometric battle view and MIDI music included.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length