The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:38:01 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  What's with all the Starcon3 Hate?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: What's with all the Starcon3 Hate?  (Read 8386 times)
SweetSassyMolassy
*Smell* controller

View Profile
Re: What's with all the Starcon3 Hate?
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2008, 09:04:22 pm »

K'tang - useless ships and not very good dialogue (except when they misused words sometimes that was pretty funny)

Speaking of which, if the precursor battleship is equipped with a universal translator then why are the K'Tang misusing words in the first place? You know those guys aren't speaking English to you. Their "crushify" is going to come out of the translator as "crush", it's not as though their slang is as incomprehensible as Orz speak.

It's like talking to a person that speaks Hebrew when you're a gentile.

I am not always understand about what you speak, unfortunately.
Waylander
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2008, 03:08:06 am »

K'tang - useless ships and not very good dialogue (except when they misused words sometimes that was pretty funny)

Speaking of which, if the precursor battleship is equipped with a universal translator then why are the K'Tang misusing words in the first place? You know those guys aren't speaking English to you. Their "crushify" is going to come out of the translator as "crush", it's not as though their slang is as incomprehensible as Orz speak.

Wouldnt a universal translator simply change the words in K'tang for example to human? I don't think the translator can work on what the K'tang meant rather it can only work on what they have actually said. At least thats the impression I got. A universal translator working on every race (well except the Orz) is kinda a dream piece of technology anyway; we have enough trouble translating languages on our own world and most of those come from a common root language, how the hell are we gonna translate words that come from an entirely different base?

Chaotic Good, the only real good alignment!
guesst
Enlightened

Ancient Shofixti Warrior

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2008, 09:44:23 pm »

I think that the main reason they cut some of the SC2 races was the fact that if they included them they would have had to enlarge the galaxy and also add more races to the Crux to even it out a bit and that was obviously too much work seeing as they barely did all the work for most of the races they did include.
*BZZZZZ* Wrong. They didn't include the SC2 races (or ignored the cannon for established one) because they wanted to write Fred Ford and Paul Reiche III out of the franchise. FF & PR3 owned the characters and setting, basically everything but the words "Star" and "Control" used in conjunction.

A new game and it's code each week. Please visit Cymon's Games
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2008, 06:01:22 am »

Maybe the translator is smart enough to realise that the K'Tang are misusing words in their own language as well?

What's up doc?
Waylander
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2008, 07:47:03 am »

I think that the main reason they cut some of the SC2 races was the fact that if they included them they would have had to enlarge the galaxy and also add more races to the Crux to even it out a bit and that was obviously too much work seeing as they barely did all the work for most of the races they did include.
*BZZZZZ* Wrong. They didn't include the SC2 races (or ignored the cannon for established one) because they wanted to write Fred Ford and Paul Reiche III out of the franchise. FF & PR3 owned the characters and setting, basically everything but the words "Star" and "Control" used in conjunction.

Yeah i guess, i still think they were just too lazy to include them as the rest of the game seems to be very lazily put together and written and if they truly wanted to write them out wouldnt they just leave all the races out or completely bastardise them (okay yes the urquans were bastardised but the rest of the alliance races were fairly true to form)

Chaotic Good, the only real good alignment!
SweetSassyMolassy
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2008, 08:43:53 am »

Maybe the translator is smart enough to realise that the K'Tang are misusing words in their own language as well?

Then it adds to the argument that the K'Tang shouldn't be the main enemies in the game

I am not always understand about what you speak, unfortunately.
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2008, 11:51:15 am »

Yeah i guess, i still think they were just too lazy to include them as the rest of the game seems to be very lazily put together and written and if they truly wanted to write them out wouldnt they just leave all the races out or completely bastardise them (okay yes the urquans were bastardised but the rest of the alliance races were fairly true to form)

If you take into account the un-released SCX, it certainly loosk as if the goal was simply to rewrite the story enough to get rid of all the old races and be free of TFB.

Then it adds to the argument that the K'Tang shouldn't be the main enemies in the game

I don't know how much we need to spoilerify SC3 here, but oh well.

(click to show/hide)

What's up doc?
Alvarin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2008, 11:57:50 am »

Lukipela - regarding your spoiler , the second part of it was pretty much the only nice thing about SC3 plot .
I still like the SC2 main enemies better - it's not at all frequent , when you can easilly relate and even sympatize to the main antagonists' cause.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length