The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:47:38 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  AI ship wiggle in gravity well
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: AI ship wiggle in gravity well  (Read 2173 times)
psydev
*Many bubbles*

Why don't all races have point defense lasers?

View Profile
AI ship wiggle in gravity well
« on: November 08, 2008, 01:01:44 pm »

Have you guys ever noticed that when some ships are entering a gravity well, they will start rotating quickly left and right repeatedly until they are through it? Do any of the coders know why this is? (Or does anyone else have a guess?)
I have noticed this especially in Star Control 1, but I notice it in SC2 as well, especially with ships like the Utwig.

meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
Re: AI ship wiggle in gravity well
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 02:13:53 pm »

This is against the computer, right?
I suspect they just want to steer towards a direction just around where the threshold between two images is. And as there are only 64 discrete directions, steering in a specific direction in between two of those requires continuous adjustment.
If this happens more often for some ships than others, that may be because of their specific mass, thrust, and max speeds, which require more intervention to get to where they want to go in a gravity well.
I think I've seen the behavior outside of gravity wells too, when running away with the computer chasing from a specific angle.

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
Lord999
Zebranky food

View Profile
Re: AI ship wiggle in gravity well
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 06:47:20 am »

This is against the computer, right?
I suspect they just want to steer towards a direction just around where the threshold between two images is. And as there are only 64 discrete directions, steering in a specific direction in between two of those requires continuous adjustment.
If this happens more often for some ships than others, that may be because of their specific mass, thrust, and max speeds, which require more intervention to get to where they want to go in a gravity well.
I think I've seen the behavior outside of gravity wells too, when running away with the computer chasing from a specific angle.

I agree, this happened to me when i was fighting a supox, i was an arilou and i kept on teleporting around it and the supox ship like, freaked out.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length