The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:57:48 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  True Star Control 3 with Homeworld style RTS Battles!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: True Star Control 3 with Homeworld style RTS Battles!  (Read 3591 times)
Chris.Davaz
Zebranky food

View Profile
True Star Control 3 with Homeworld style RTS Battles!
« on: December 11, 2008, 05:49:15 am »

Here is something I would really love to see:

A true Star Control 3 done by Toys for Bob with the battle system being something like the Homeworld RTS series (Sierra). I think that would be awesome. The mothership in Homeworld would be replaced by some kind of Precursor / Chmmr hybrid battle platform that could be built up through the game (as in SC2). Anyway, it would be much better than ultra simple SC2 battle system and would make battles seem more important (fewer but larger and longer battles).

I'd like to hear your thoughts on such a battle system for a true SC3.
Arne
Enlightened

Yak!

View Profile WWW
Re: True Star Control 3 with Homeworld style RTS Battles!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 03:08:05 pm »

I didn't like the 3D in HW much. The third dimension only serves to make the tactical situation hard to read. Yes, there are some tactics for attacking from below or above, but IMO, the directional attack game verb already exists with enough fidelity with a 2D play field. Another dimension doesn't make the battle much richer. Some games even goes as far as restricting the number of dimensions to get interesting tactics (by using star lanes, etc).

The differences in ship size is also a problem with HW. Yes, the ships are really nicely designed, but you can't really enjoy their design because then you have to use a perspective which makes the strategical situation unreadable. I ended up playing the game mostly in the most zoomed out view (blue 'radar' view i think). This made most ships into icons or dots, and the ship design was lost in the presentation.

Overall I found the HW gameplay to be very vanilla, forced RPS, especially compared to other space strategy games.

But, we live in a 3D world, so it's no wonder that people wants to push that dimensional realism into games. Generally I believe that it's more brain and game friendly to use 2D playfields. I wouldn't mind a 2.5D solution for SC!3 , i.e. 3D models on a 2D playfield.
Chris.Davaz
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 03:57:24 pm »

Yes I can see how restricting the freedom of movement to a 2D plane, however still having a 3D world with objects moving around in 3D space would simplify the gameplay without losing much in terms of strategy but at the same time being able to move around freely in 3D space hasn't caused me too much confusion either.

Maybe we could also have battles on the surface of planets! That would certainly be on a 2D (or limited 3D field ala Starcraft 2) space. It would be great since we would be doing more than just gathering minerals and collecting alien data. In fact it would help make the story more imersive.
Elvish Pillager
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 09:44:02 pm »

Maybe we could also have battles on the surface of planets! That would certainly be on a 2D (or limited 3D field ala Starcraft 2) space. It would be great since we would be doing more than just gathering minerals and collecting alien data. In fact it would help make the story more imersive.
Not if the planets are spherical Tongue

My team of four Androsynth and three Chmmr is the most unfair team ever!
My mod
grayfox777
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 01:02:26 am »

I wouldn't mind RTS battles much as long as it doesn't require some super amazing GPU and isn't too complex. And as long as the game doesn't become purely an RTS only... I like the exploration and stuff like that. I'd actually like to see more exploration elements in a Star Control III. Ground battles would be interesting too.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 01:14:29 am by grayfox777 » Logged

"If you have 'Peace', you simply haven't yet seen the thing that's trying to kill you." -Spathi
Chris.Davaz
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 02:50:32 am »

Yeah it wouldn't make much sense to have a full RTS within SC3.. at least it would probably be too much work. I could settle for a simple 'squad' of mixed unit types landing on the planet to complete a particular task. Or instead of having the lander, have like a mini, portable base that does all the unit generation (wouldn't need to build buildings and climb a tech tree, at least not while on the ground). However, throughout the game, this lander-base thing itself gets improvements and is more and more capable (for example, it could gain the ability to generate 'medic' units to heal other units). This way the ground missions start from fairly simple and become more complex as the game progresses.
Resh Aleph
*Smell* controller

Rottem Tomatoes

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 03:38:41 am »

Heh, I can imagine Spathi Marines running away from the enemy base (and out of the map) as soon as they come out of the barracks. Grin

Marines on Maulers and limpets on Earthlings  /  Bright Podship plasma and warm Kohr-Ah death rings  /
Shofixti Scouts doing gravity whips  /  These are a few of my favorite ships!
       © meep-eep
Arne
Enlightened

Yak!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 04:27:36 am »

I wouldn't mind some... military campaign stuff, persistence. It doesn't have to be presented or played as an RTS, but the mechanics could be similar.

One area where StarFlight excelled was ground exploration. If kept at an abstract level in terms of graphics, then perhaps the mind would fill in the details, and the developers won't have to do 9 zillion art assets. There might be way to procedurally generate simple miniature terrain, textures, plants, animals for a zoomed out top down view. I can imagine animals (alien life) being the most tricky, since they have the most variation in form, and needs walk and attack cycles.
Chris.Davaz
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 04:27:33 am »

Certainly any type of sequel to SC3 will have to implore lots more art to satisfy today's market (and me!). I want it all, awesome gameplay and awesome graphics. =) At least something that this generation of consoles are capable of.
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 07:19:17 am »

At least something that this generation of consoles are capable of.

I think they are capable of 8-bit grpahics and sounds, sound good? Wink To be slightly more serious, the grtaphics do have to be good, but I don't think they have to be absurdly advanced. I'd rather enjoy a good game with slightly simpler, more stylized graphics than one with photo quality graphics and crap gameplay.

What's up doc?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length