The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:12:08 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Project 6014 – Ur-Quan Masters mod
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 46 Print
Author Topic: Project 6014 – Ur-Quan Masters mod  (Read 191414 times)
Malrunus
Zebranky food

View Profile
Re: Project 6014 – Ur-Quan Masters mod
« Reply #195 on: October 02, 2010, 03:21:49 am »

Excellent, thanks Smiley
Cedric6014
Enlightened

View Profile
Project 6014 – roll call
« Reply #196 on: October 26, 2010, 09:50:59 pm »

So based on what you have done so far Cedric, how far out are we thinking until we have a beta stage game ready for full gameplay testing? (Just a rough guess to keep the frothing ones from get saliva all over the floor Smiley )

Also when are we going to looking for people to do the non story and gameplay stuff (Voices, Music, Popcorn Makers, etc.)

I would say we are about 10-15% of the way there. Based on our current labour resource (if you forgive the term) we are looking at two years away.

However, the main point of the demo was to encourage more people to help out, especially for, graphics, art, sounds/voices, programming - that sort of stuff. So if we can get a bunch of assistance with this I think that will dramatically reduce the ETA. Needless to say, we are looking for contributions of the highest quality.

Actually it seems like it might be a good time for a bit of a roll call. People's offers of help are sort of spread around various places (PMs, threads, forums, my email etc). Actualyl the amout of offers we've received has been really heartening.

I wonder, could anyone who's offered some assistance, or who can offer some, sing out and say what you can do? Then I'll make a decent effort to catalogue this stuff.

Time to start doing what I'm supposed to be doing and coordinating this beast!

Play online melee here! http://irc.uqm.stack.nl/
Alvarin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 26, 2010, 11:45:08 pm »

I'm still willing to help. You've seen my artistic "skill". I wouldn't be able to help with something major, but something small-scale like the alien lifeforms (though you already have lots of new ones...) artefacts/devices and the sorts. I can also give a good critique- even though I can't storytell or draw well  myself, usually I have good suggestions and can fish out inconsistencies.
ziper1221
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 26, 2010, 11:50:17 pm »

Do you need any writers? I cant write very fast, but what I do is usually pretty good.

Admiral Zeratul
*Many bubbles*

I enjoy overthinking things.

View Profile
Re: Project 6014 – roll call
« Reply #199 on: October 27, 2010, 12:23:22 am »

Actually it seems like it might be a good time for a bit of a roll call. People's offers of help are sort of spread around various places (PMs, threads, forums, my email etc). Actualyl the amout of offers we've received has been really heartening.

I wonder, could anyone who's offered some assistance, or who can offer some, sing out and say what you can do? Then I'll make a decent effort to catalogue this stuff.

Man, we have a heap of work in front of us. Especially in the graphics department. As well as a need for more artists, it would be useful to have people who were proficient at Photoshop (or Paintshop Pro or Gimp etc) to help convert the art into computer graphics. There will be a LOT of that to do. Lots of laborious image work.

In addition we’ll need voice actors, music composers, dialogue writers and programmers. A lot of the work will be mundane.

I am no good at voice acting or composing, but I am proficient in the use of GIMP.  I cannot do any of the coding nor animation, but if you need stuff resized, I would be very happy to contribute that way. I have great attention to detail and have patience to match. I am somewhat of a perfectionist, though, so I will take time.

I recall offering my own assistance. I trust you remember the details? My offer stands, of course.

Priority override. New behavior dictated. Must break post into component ideas.
oldlaptop
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 27, 2010, 02:25:12 am »

I might be able to write a little dialog, though like ziper's it would take time. If I ever get a good microphone I could possibly do voice acting as well.

Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod
chenjesuwizard
*Many bubbles*

I support Project6014

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 27, 2010, 11:35:55 am »

I can do basic rotation for ships and stuff (you know, Gimp editing).

And I want to do some dialogue.

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
Draxas
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 27, 2010, 05:34:15 pm »

I suppose I could put myself up here as being able to do some stuff: I have no ability to do programming or art, but I could take a crack at some of the other stuff if you like. I've actually done a bit of ameteur voice acting before for a friend's Starcraft maps, which turned out decent considering we had basically no ability to add effects or other post-processing to them. Unfortunately, I have no idea where my old microphone went, but if you're interested I can fish one up from somewhere or someone. Of course, I can also do writing / dialog / creative, but so can everyone else; I'm sure you're inundated with people wanting to help direct the plot of write dialog, but if you're really interested, just ask.
chenjesuwizard
*Many bubbles*

I support Project6014

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 30, 2010, 10:00:44 pm »

Just played it again. You can land on Beta Gorno II, where the Yehat say the Shofixti created a colony, but you cannot land on the Chmmr's Home Planet and Earth.

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 31, 2010, 04:58:24 am »

While I would love to help, presently, I have no time. Ask again on Jan 2nd...
Cedric6014
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 01, 2010, 12:25:27 am »

While I would love to help, presently, I have no time. Ask again on Jan 2nd...

*Writes down in calendar*.

You're quite a writer aren't you?

Angelfish
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 01, 2010, 08:55:33 am »

Of course, I can also do writing / dialog / creative, but so can everyone else;

I can't Wink. To do such a thing properly you really need native english speakers or damn good foreigners, and I'm not one. Tongue
Cedric6014
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 19, 2010, 02:04:36 am »

Project 6014 patched demo available for download. Details here:
http://forum.uqm.stack.nl/index.php?topic=4863.msg65921#msg65921

Technolopithicus
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 24, 2010, 03:50:51 am »

Hello all.  I grew up on both Star Control 2 and Carl Sagan books, so I'm quite delighted to see this kind of project in action.  Star Control 2 was an exceptional game for a fusion of reasons.  But one of the things that stands out the most in Star Control 2, to me,  was its exotic menagerie of aliens.  Most science fiction is a wasteland of hominid-like creatures with bi-lateral symmetry, but star Control 2 largely broke that mold.  If Project 6014 seeks to hold a candle to its predecessor, it wlll need to recapture this element.   

In this regard, I would like to help, perhaps.  Professionally, I am an evolutionary biologist. with a keen interest in plausable exo-biology.  I'm also a fluent writer and editor, and would be interested in offering my skill set to this endeavor.   Let me know if you can put me to use! 

Quinarbre
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 24, 2010, 02:26:23 pm »

Now that's a contribution offer you don't see every day !
It would be foolish to turn it down...

I've got a question for you though, but don't take it as a rebuttal. Many people have stated that what made Star Control so fun was that it didn't bother much with realism when it comes to physics, combat or astronomy. Would you say the same about its alien races, or do most of them fit into plausible evolutionary schemes ?
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 46 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length