The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:49:53 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Project 6014 – Ur-Quan Masters mod
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 46 Print
Author Topic: Project 6014 – Ur-Quan Masters mod  (Read 191402 times)
BB
Zebranky food

View Profile
Re: Project 6014 – Ur-Quan Masters mod
« Reply #285 on: July 01, 2011, 12:06:09 am »

I know this means next to nothing from someone with one post, but I am a student of the arts and fan of the ur-quan masters that would be interested in lightening the load of the main artist, proofreading / editing dialouge or at the very least playtesting.

Let me know if you need my help or need a sample of my work.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 12:13:58 am by BB » Logged
dczanik
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #286 on: July 01, 2011, 01:20:18 am »

We are always looking for people! PM me and send me a link to some work you've done.

- Damon
Ur-Quan Masters HD Project leader/artist. Project 6014 Artist.  Like my art? Please check out some of my other artwork
Mohorovicic
Zebranky food

View Profile WWW
« Reply #287 on: July 12, 2011, 07:03:02 am »

Hey all, not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I'm having technical issues getting the demo to even run Sad I followed the instructions from the Project 6014 website and the readme file, but the program still won't even open Sad It keeps saying that the application P6014 quite unexpectedly. I have a mac and downloaded the mac version... can anyone help me to get the demo to open?
superbutcherx
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 01, 2011, 09:58:15 pm »

Hey all, not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I'm having technical issues getting the demo to even run Sad I followed the instructions from the Project 6014 website and the readme file, but the program still won't even open Sad It keeps saying that the application P6014 quite unexpectedly. I have a mac and downloaded the mac version... can anyone help me to get the demo to open?

Hello, I am the guy responsible for OSX porting of Project 6014. Having been on a kind of un-vacation I only came across your message now! I'm sorry to hear you didn't get the Mac version working Sad. Are you still having problems with it or did you find a way to get the demo running?

I've tested the demo on OSX's 10.5 and 10.6, with Macbooks ranging from 2008 white 2,1 GHz model to 2010 aluminum bodied models with newer specs. What is your system, the OSX version and the processor?
Gekko
*Many bubbles*

Arena regular

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: August 01, 2011, 10:02:01 pm »

Hello, I am the guy responsible for OSX porting of Project 6014. Having been on a kind of un-vacation I only came across your message now! I'm sorry to hear you didn't get the Mac version working Sad. Are you still having problems with it or did you find a way to get the demo running?

If you have some time, a complete list of pointers and tips on OS X compiling of even vanilla UQM would be useful. See http://forum.uqm.stack.nl/index.php?topic=5085.0

Visit #uqm-arena and play a game of Net Melee!
Try the Net Melee Improvement mod
superbutcherx
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 02, 2011, 08:07:40 am »

That is a big 'if', I'm afraid Sad
Though I'm sure I could squeeze some time from anywhere, but the bigger problem is that it's been so long since I set up the compilation facilities... I'm not sure anymore what were all the tricks I used to pull to get the compilation working. I don't have a spare Mac on my hands which I could use for creating things from scratch and typing a manual based on that, shame Sad

I got pretty far with the OSX compilation instructions that came with the UQM package and some help I asked here:
http://forum.uqm.stack.nl/index.php?topic=4633.0
http://forum.uqm.stack.nl/index.php?topic=4631.0

I think I got Nic's Xcode project from him, but in the end kept using the command line way I've been using from the beginning.

However, even though the SDL_image, SDL, Ogg and Vorbis libraries I compiled myself got the thing running for me weren't usable on anyone else's Macs. So I bruteforced and copied the SDL_image, Ogg and Vorbis from the latest UQM executable to my "/Library/Frameworks". That made it runnable for others too (except Mohorovicic now at least). However, I kept the SDL I compiled myself, since the SDL library that came with the latest UQM was so freaking big.

Gekko, I think we might've been through this before, but do you yourself have a Mac available for trying compiling?
superbutcherx
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 02, 2011, 09:22:25 am »

Ha, I got the balance mod compiling and working, at least on my OSX!

I'll post the .app to Shiver for testing.
audentia4
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 22, 2011, 11:11:07 pm »

hey all, i have just begun to decide to replay ur quan masters (last time i was 4 playing/watching my dad play the original, so not sure that counts anyway) and found the p6014 mod/sequel, and downloaded it. (i got the content and music files in the resources folder, maybe music should go in add on folder?) Anyways, i'm running a new mba with Lion, and UQM 0.7 seems to work fine but P6014 crashes on launch. found this thread via google, just wondering what the status was with lion support and if anyone else is having issues or if there is a fix. I can copy the error report but its very long and i have no idea which part of it is important.
superbutcherx
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 23, 2011, 09:29:13 am »

hey all, i have just begun to decide to replay ur quan masters (last time i was 4 playing/watching my dad play the original, so not sure that counts anyway) and found the p6014 mod/sequel, and downloaded it. (i got the content and music files in the resources folder, maybe music should go in add on folder?) Anyways, i'm running a new mba with Lion, and UQM 0.7 seems to work fine but P6014 crashes on launch. found this thread via google, just wondering what the status was with lion support and if anyone else is having issues or if there is a fix. I can copy the error report but its very long and i have no idea which part of it is important.

Hi!

Sadly, Lion wasn't yet out when we finished 0.1.1.  - The P6014 demo 0.1.1 is compiled on 10.6 (and has been tested on 10.5 also).

We are getting a new OSX programmer on board with Lion OSX installed though, so the next demo should be 10.7. compatible! The exact date is still to be set, but P6014 demo 0.2. is going to come before the end of this year...
Cedric6014
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 23, 2011, 10:51:12 am »

The exact date is still to be set, but P6014 demo 0.2. is going to come before the end of this year...

Right, well we may as well announce then that we plan to release demo 0.2 on 11 November 2011 at, you guessed it, 11:11:11. Times zone TBA!

The next release won't have a heap new content, but it will have some very nice features so it will be well worth looking forward to.

Play online melee here! http://irc.uqm.stack.nl/
onpon4
Enlightened

Sharing is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #295 on: August 23, 2011, 04:27:55 pm »

Right, well we may as well announce then that we plan to release demo 0.2 on 11 November 2011 at, you guessed it, 11:11:11. Times zone TBA!

UTC?

Biflspud
Zebranky food

View Profile WWW
I like the direction! A few suggestions?
« Reply #296 on: August 28, 2011, 07:11:37 pm »

I bumped into the Lurg video on YouTube, and after tracking down the demo, came right over to find out more about the development.

Setting
: I really like the bones of the story so far; the Chmmr have always come across as cold and calculating, and for the Yehat to think somebody is being ruthless, is really saying something.  I was rather expecting a stray Marauder to show up and sass your tiny ship from time to time; them being leaderless means they are even more out of control than before.  It also explains why races that desperately need to expand (Syreen, Shofixti) cannot do so heedless of danger, because there are still hostiles out and about.  All in all, I am interested in seeing the storyline move along.

Tweaks
: The Syreen interface is fantastic.  The humans are good, too, but the work done on the Syreen was top rate.  After encountering them, I was a tad disappointed that there wasn't much of interest to say to the Syreen, but obviously the plot is in its early stages.

Early game lack of mining:
It was rather disappointing to not be able to mine.  To make myself feel productive while skimming for biologicals, I wrote down on an envelope worlds that were worth strip mining later, if ever I got a cargo bay.  Is there some reason that the player CANNOT have one?  I guess I don't buy the whole "Oh, your ship is full of.. um.. sensors.. and therefore can't hold even a single diamond" excuse made by Hayes.  If we truly aren't meant to mine, then why limit resources at all early on?  I had to get biologicals just to keep flying, as I had run out of RUs just due to outfitting my fleet.  Give the player RUs for showing up at starbases; that'd encourage diplomatic envoys to various homeworlds.
       I am not sure how viable this is for the engine, but another possibility is to deploy a mining beacon on rich worlds.  Make them cost something so that the player doesn't just spam every world with "STRIP MINE HERE," but if one is launched, then the next time you visit a starbase, the world could be mined out and you'd get a share of the resources just for being a good surveyor.  That way, exploring would be meaningful even if you yourself weren't the one doing the digging.
       The Melnorme obviously are not finished yet; when they gave me a plug to say, "Come help support the game," I figured that was telling.  So it didn't hurt my feelings to sell biologicals to them, as they clearly had no other use than fuel... but considering how valuable Melnorme credits were in SC2, it still hurts my head to sell precious data for mundane fuel.  I'd much rather sell minerals or salvage RUs from wrecks.

In space, nobody can hear you.  Period.
Space seems very empty.  Besides humans shuttling back and forth to Procyon and the occassional "Maurauder" encounter, nothing was happening.  Where are the Druuge, scouring wrecked hulls of ships for materials?  No stray Umgah, out looking for raw genetic material to bioengineer?  The Shofixti were all supposed to be scouting; I passed a lot of interesting looking potential homeworlds out on my travels but didn't see any rodents.  Are all the Probes accounted for?  If a massive warfleet is on the move, there would presumably be scout ships from their forces poking around.   

I seem to have missed out on the Plot Cookie.  Here's the path I took:
1) Talked to Chmmr and Hayes
2) Ran down to "Crash Site" and started plodding around, found nothing but some biologicals
3) Talked to Melnorme, got pointed at Naos, Angstrom and Messier
4) Explored those, found nothing.
5) Decided to pop in to see the Syreen, Orz, Spathi and Yehat
6) Yehat pointed me towards a dud world
7) Huh

If there was more I was supposed to have done, I fear I didn't encounter it or think about doing it.

All in all, an excellent start -- must we really wait until November? Smiley
dczanik
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #297 on: August 29, 2011, 12:12:03 am »

Biflspud: Thanks for your comment. I'm one of the artists for Project 6014.  For me, reading stuff like this makes all the hours I put in worth it.

Syreen: I'm glad you like the Syreen.   I made the intro, the Syreen, and the Lurg. So when somebody enjoys my stuff it makes my day. Thank you.

No minors allowed?: I too want to be able to mine. I'm fighting for this in the next demo. Smiley

Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.:  The full game will have more in space, but right now it is a little empty.

Step 8 is profit!: If you went down to the right planet you should have seen something on the energy scan. It does take some exploring.

I originally gave the rest of the team a November deadline as a mock challenge. Well, they called my bluff! Now I'm frantically working on artwork done by then. Oops.  Shocked I really hope you'll enjoy the new demo as well.

- Damon
Ur-Quan Masters HD Project leader/artist. Project 6014 Artist.  Like my art? Please check out some of my other artwork
Admiral Zeratul
*Many bubbles*

I enjoy overthinking things.

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: August 29, 2011, 01:01:30 am »

No minors allowed?

I think you mean miners. A minor is someone under the age of legal responsibility, not someone who goes out and strips planets of their natural resources.

Priority override. New behavior dictated. Must break post into component ideas.
dczanik
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #299 on: August 29, 2011, 01:18:45 am »

Heh. It was a joke (done on purpose) since they sound the same. I know the difference. Wink

- Damon
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 46 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length