The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:17:12 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Project 6014 – Ur-Quan Masters mod
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 46 Print
Author Topic: Project 6014 – Ur-Quan Masters mod  (Read 191260 times)
Quinarbre
Frungy champion

View Profile
Re: Project 6014 – Ur-Quan Masters mod
« Reply #330 on: November 10, 2011, 01:22:23 am »

I'm still waiting for an assignment!

Hey man, you still around ? Cause we desperately need you again, even if it's not something as accomplished as what you did so far.
dczanik
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #331 on: November 10, 2011, 08:40:19 pm »

Hi folks!

It's with a bit of sadness I must inform everybody that Project 6014: Demo 2 will be delayed a week.  Our new scheduled release date is 11-30-11. The quality level just wasn't where we wanted it.  Nobody wanted to release something unfinished just to meet the deadline. It's going to frustrate you and take away any fun that might be had.

Quinarbre made the decision, and I think it's the right one.  I hate it when games do this. I'm sure many of you feel the same way.

I assure you we've had many  late nights just to make the deadline, but sometimes these things happen.   Still, I apologize for the delay.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 11:01:50 pm by dczanik » Logged

- Damon
Ur-Quan Masters HD Project leader/artist. Project 6014 Artist.  Like my art? Please check out some of my other artwork
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: November 10, 2011, 08:56:37 pm »

Well, quality is really all you have, so I think that's a good call.

What's up doc?
Huggybaby
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 10, 2011, 09:18:07 pm »

Thanks for the report, release when ready!  Grin
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: November 10, 2011, 10:35:44 pm »

I PM-ed Quinarbre asking what he wanted, if not my second dialog assignment. With the extra week, I could possibly do something else too, if it's simple. The second dialog is much bigger than the first.
JudgeYohance
*Many bubbles*

Captain in the Black Spathi Squadron

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 11, 2011, 03:35:06 pm »

Hi folks!

It's with a bit of sadness I must inform everybody that Project 6014: Demo 2 will be delayed a week.  Our new scheduled release date is 11-30-11. The quality level just wasn't where we wanted it.  Nobody wanted to release something unfinished just to meet the deadline. It's going to frustrate you and take away any fun that might be had.

Quinarbre made the decision, and I think it's the right one.  I hate it when games do this. I'm sure many of you feel the same way.

I assure you we've had many  late nights just to make the deadline, but sometimes these things happen.   Still, I apologize for the delay.

NOOOOO!!!!!!! (Activates his glory device)

No sweat, you should never release something that is not ready.

Of course there are fates worse then death......after all.....you could always make me angry
Draxas
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 11, 2011, 04:15:08 pm »

Looking forward to the release, because it will be better thanks to the extra time. Now, if only more of the "pros" had the leeway to do this.
Admiral Zeratul
*Many bubbles*

I enjoy overthinking things.

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 11, 2011, 07:37:06 pm »

Indeed, the problem with licensed games in general is that early deadlines cause poor quality games to be released.

Priority override. New behavior dictated. Must break post into component ideas.
Biflspud
Zebranky food

View Profile WWW
« Reply #338 on: November 15, 2011, 03:03:36 am »

Oh, I see how it is.  You build up all this excitement for 11/11, and create a spike in Star Con fanboi heart rates.. and then leave us jittery for the rest of the month?   

Now, is 15 days enough to play Skyrim.. hmmmm..
JudgeYohance
*Many bubbles*

Captain in the Black Spathi Squadron

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: November 15, 2011, 05:47:52 am »

lol as long as they do the job well, I will wait for hell to freeze over

And forget Skyrim Biflspud, I am picking up Saints Row the Third tomorrow. I will get Skyrim after I finish that one Smiley

Of course there are fates worse then death......after all.....you could always make me angry
Quinarbre
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: November 15, 2011, 04:26:38 pm »

Did not see much excitement building up here (well, except for JudgeYohance but he's perpetually excited about p6014) so we thought we'd delay it a bit just for the kick of frustrating you.
Biflspud
Zebranky food

View Profile WWW
« Reply #341 on: November 16, 2011, 01:56:22 pm »

we'd delay it a bit just for the kick of frustrating you.

*Frumple!*  It is *dancing!*

You probably have as many irons in the fire as you need right now, but at some future point, if there's pieces of the project that you can crowdsource, by all means share.  Heck, writing dialogue trees wouldn't necessarily require too much expertise and training, and you all could cut and paste the best dialogue options from what the community generates.  Maybe even start with, "So, the Arilou have some information on the Lurg, but they're being coy.  Map out a few dialogue trees" and see where it goes?

Or something.  Just blue skying; I don't want you all to feel you're not supported in your efforts, and spinning off easy work can let you focus on the nuts and bolts of a great game experience.
Draxas
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: November 16, 2011, 03:50:33 pm »

You probably have as many irons in the fire as you need right now, but at some future point, if there's pieces of the project that you can crowdsource, by all means share.  Heck, writing dialogue trees wouldn't necessarily require too much expertise and training, and you all could cut and paste the best dialogue options from what the community generates.  Maybe even start with, "So, the Arilou have some information on the Lurg, but they're being coy.  Map out a few dialogue trees" and see where it goes?

I have to say, crowdsourcing dialog is a terrible idea. You want each species to have a unique voice that's internally consistent, and the best way to do that is to have one person write the dialog for that species. On the other hand, once the dialog is written and finalized, crowdsourcing voice acting might be a little bit more viable.
Biflspud
Zebranky food

View Profile WWW
« Reply #343 on: November 17, 2011, 02:27:18 am »

Well, sorry you think so, Draxas - frankly, you can generate a lot of creativity by seeing what people come up with given half a chance to be creative.  Worse thing that happens is that all of it is terrible, you politely thank people for their time, and vow never to do that again. Smiley

The reason I make the suggestion is that in my own writing, I've found it very liberating to simply plot out the story in little bites.  "What would happen if they did this?" and just enjoy the rest of it as a free-writing exercise.  You end up inventing a lot of "voice" just by exploring what the characters would do in that situation, and the more you free write in character, the sharper it gets.
Steve-O
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: November 17, 2011, 04:46:33 am »

The reason I make the suggestion is that in my own writing, I've found it very liberating to simply plot out the story in little bites.  "What would happen if they did this?" and just enjoy the rest of it as a free-writing exercise.  You end up inventing a lot of "voice" just by exploring what the characters would do in that situation, and the more you free write in character, the sharper it gets.

Yes, but if I understand what you're saying here correctly, it's still only one person (ie: you) doing all the writing.  Perhaps I've misunderstood, though.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 46 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length