The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:23:38 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Project 6014 – Ur-Quan Masters mod
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 46 Print
Author Topic: Project 6014 – Ur-Quan Masters mod  (Read 191404 times)
JudgeYohance
*Many bubbles*

Captain in the Black Spathi Squadron

View Profile
Re: Project 6014 – Ur-Quan Masters mod
« Reply #345 on: November 18, 2011, 07:43:23 am »

Did not see much excitement building up here (well, except for JudgeYohance but he's perpetually excited about p6014)

Well there is a reason for that! I have very little programming skills (Some very basic C++ from a college course) and my art skills are...well non-existent so my ability to contribute to the project is minimal. (Except maybe voice work when they get to that point)

Star Control 2 was one of the first games I ever played at around age 3 and I have waited 20 years for a new game to be made that captured the feel of that game and I have never found it. You ever want a true betrayal of expectations, I remember buying Space Rangers 2 without checking on it first because the box had in the inside cover "Best Sci-Fi Epic since Star Control 2" and was so stunned that used that for comparison that I bought it...and hated it.

So if I am energetic about the project it is because most of the series I grew up playing have died over the years and with the rise of FPS games of late, I have little hope these days of the main gaming companies making a game of it's kind again. I really liked the demo, I can't wait for the full game, and I think it is proof that a group of dedicated fans can remain truer to the the source material and do a better job with it then a name company out for simply making the quick buck (See Star Control 3 for reference Smiley )

Of course there are fates worse then death......after all.....you could always make me angry
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #346 on: November 22, 2011, 12:51:26 am »

Let's go off-topic for a second:

You should try the Mass Effect series...

I would venture to say that if anybody should be allowed to do a Star Control sequel or reboot that it should be Bioware.

The artist once again known as Kohr-Ah Death 213.

Get your MegaMod HERE
Slylendro
*Many bubbles*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #347 on: November 25, 2011, 02:36:49 am »

Spoiler

(click to show/hide)
nice touch there ! :-)

It is as though your species' brain is too small to hold a simple thought
such as, WE WILL KILL YOU FOR DISOBEYING!
This is not a complex idea.
PRH
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: November 26, 2011, 09:13:53 am »

Let's go off-topic for a second:

You should try the Mass Effect series...

I would venture to say that if anybody should be allowed to do a Star Control sequel or reboot that it should be Bioware.

I agree that the Mass Effect games are good in their own way, but they belong to completely different genres, so it's difficult to even compare them. While Mass Effect seems to have a lot of common with Star Control, this has more to do with the fact that it borrowed from the entire space opera genre. Besides, it has none of the grand scale and freedom of choice that SC2 had. Also, one of the weaknesses in all of Bioware's RPGs are the dialogue choices. ME's infamous dialogue wheel took it to the extreme (though the quality of the dialogue itself - not the player's choice - has improved noticeably), but really the problem was present in older Bioware's games as well (the main dialogue choices seem to be: 1. "Let's go and smite evil! YEAAAAH!" 2. "Pay me or I'm not going to help you!" 3. "Screw you! I'm not helping lowly rabble like you!")
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 01:44:17 pm by PRH » Logged
JudgeYohance
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: November 28, 2011, 05:07:03 am »

As we approach the end of the month, I ask the forbidden question...will it be ready in time?

Of course there are fates worse then death......after all.....you could always make me angry
dczanik
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #350 on: November 28, 2011, 05:14:02 am »

Baring any unexpected last minute problems, yes.  Art team has taken the extra time and added a bunch of stuff. Programming team has fixed every major problem. It's just polishing everything right now.

- Damon
Ur-Quan Masters HD Project leader/artist. Project 6014 Artist.  Like my art? Please check out some of my other artwork
chenjesuwizard
*Many bubbles*

I support Project6014

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: November 30, 2011, 04:10:00 pm »

Since today's the 30th I was wondering if we have an estimated time of release?

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
dczanik
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #352 on: November 30, 2011, 04:19:59 pm »

Well, sometime in the next 20 hours.  Huh  We're going by Pacific time, so we got a few hours left in the day.  The programmers are compiling everything and testing it out.  I can't give a more definitive answer than that Smiley

- Damon
Ur-Quan Masters HD Project leader/artist. Project 6014 Artist.  Like my art? Please check out some of my other artwork
JudgeYohance
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: November 30, 2011, 05:12:54 pm »

In that case, you have 15 hours and 48 minutes from this post or we let loose the Kraken! Smiley

Megagun
Enlightened

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: November 30, 2011, 06:03:41 pm »

.deb packages for Ubuntu 11.10 will probably be released about 24 hours after the release for Windows. I don't do any of the content or coding for Project 6014, and thus I have no idea when exactly I can start building, packaging and releasing.

Luckily, compiling your own version of the game is reather easy (provided that you have the required libraries installed, which if I recall correctly are packaged for Ubuntu/Debian as libogg-dev, libvorbis-dev, libsdl-image1.2-dev, libsdl1.2-dev, libz-dev, libmikmod2-dev):
Code:
./build.sh uqm config
./build.sh uqm
./p6014
dczanik
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #355 on: November 30, 2011, 07:14:03 pm »

Just an update: Looks like the programming guys are caught up in some real work at the moment.  Apparently they expect to also have a life and a job outside the game. After that it's implementing some last minute Yehat and Pkunk stuff. We're still on track....

I'm anticipating the game as much as you, so I'd be upset if it didn't come out soon too. I was hoping to see something in time for lunch.  I'm viewing statistics via Google Analytics real time beta test. I can tell the guys on the art team keeps hitting the refresh button on the site to see if there's any updates.  So we're all excited...

The 'releasing the Kraken' thing reminds me I had planned on making a picture of the Kraken. The 1980s Clash of the Titans version. I even thought about making a crossover pic with Kratos from God of War. It will be nice to actually draw something not related to Star Control. It's been a while since I've done that.

As far as story, there's not too much new, but there's a bunch of new content. The main reason is we just wanted to test that stuff out and sort out any bugs before the full game. So what will later be optional parts may be part of the download of the demo.  This will make the download large. And by "large" I mean,  the game will probably fit on a CD. But the size of the download goes from about 40 MB to about 600 MB.  Not quite as bad as 10 Gig installs of modern games, but if you need to clean out your hard drive, now is the time to do it.

If I had to take a stab at recommended system requirements for the demo, I'd say:
1 GB of free space.
512 MB RAM.
1 GHz processor.

- Damon
Huggybaby
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: November 30, 2011, 07:55:47 pm »

That's a perfect size for a torrent.
oldlaptop
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: November 30, 2011, 10:04:53 pm »

If I had to take a stab at recommended system requirements for the demo, I'd say:
1 GB of free space.
512 MB RAM.
1 GHz processor.

I'll take that as a challenge...  Grin

Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod
JudgeYohance
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: December 01, 2011, 12:02:23 am »

Just an update: Looks like the programming guys are caught up in some real work at the moment.  Apparently they expect to also have a life and a job outside the game.

Expectations are a wonderful thing but they should know by now that they have been enslaved by the Crimson Corporation and as such must work until they are dead Smiley

he 'releasing the Kraken' thing reminds me I had planned on making a picture of the Kraken. The 1980s Clash of the Titans version.

I'd like to see that. Kraken vs. Zex's beauty....wonder who would win that one

dczanik
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #359 on: December 01, 2011, 09:13:23 am »

Release the Kraken on us.  Shocked It appears we're going to miss that deadline. D'oh.  Cry   Problems with a programmer's home internet connection.  They  were up until 5am working on it. I told them no need to kill themselves, destroy their job, or rip apart their  family to get this out.  It's just a game, and we're not Electronic Arts here  Wink

.....I then proceeded to beat them up just to teach them a lesson.   Tongue

Have some wallpaper of our lovely bird to tide yeh over. Click the pic, it should have links to download a 1900x1200 size version.

I

- Damon
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 46 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length