The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:25:55 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Project 6014 – Ur-Quan Masters mod
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 46 Print
Author Topic: Project 6014 – Ur-Quan Masters mod  (Read 191261 times)
dczanik
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
Re: Project 6014 – Ur-Quan Masters mod
« Reply #390 on: December 04, 2011, 08:45:22 pm »

Haven't posted on these forums for at least several years (EDIT: actually 8 years):
Last time I was active, current version of UQM was 0.4 or maybe 0.5 .

When v0.7 UQM arrived, it peaked my interest to try Star Control 2 once more. Then after I finished it, I just wanted mooore!!!

Then I founded Lurg dialogue on youtube, which got me curious about 6014 project. After trying 0.1, it was like I played some long lost expansion pack for original SC2. It just fits well to SC2 story, and same engine made it really feel like expansion to original game.

As soon as it was released, I tried 0.2 in high resolution, and it is magnificent! Now I'm bummed that p6014 will still be work in progress for a long time, and that at the same time original SC2 is not yet ported to high resolution. Well, at least super melee is complete in HD, if played from p6014. Grin

Only thing I don't like is that some of new p6014 comm screens have lost some of their animations in HD version , compared to VGA versions. But I guess it's due to it being work in progress.

Also, I really like some of the new content in 0.2, like Shofixti colony, or Yehat starbase.

Anyway, keep up good work. Let us hope that next year we'll get extended campaign. Cheesy

Glad we got you excited about Star Control once again!

Well, Im working on the HD mod for Urquan Masters. It will just take some additional time. Right now the biggest issues is really the code. I just need to merge some of the 6014 and 0.7 code in.  But I fear the coders are a little frazzled by everything right now. Not all the artwork is complete either. If it doesnt exist in 6014 then it's probably not done yet. My main focus was 6014.

Animation is something  I hate. The tools are just not there yet and it takes so long. Yes, some of the animation is missing from the HD version. Blame that on an overzealous deadline (my fault). It will get added in later.

- Damon
Ur-Quan Masters HD Project leader/artist. Project 6014 Artist.  Like my art? Please check out some of my other artwork
Grand Master Planet Eater
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: December 21, 2011, 10:00:51 am »

Hey, can I make a suggestions for P6014? There should be a planet completely covered in purple resources, but if you try to land on it you die automatically  Grin
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: December 21, 2011, 07:32:53 pm »

The lander, or the flagship? Either way, I'm not certain what that would add to the game... to put it mildly.
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: December 21, 2011, 08:31:53 pm »

I believe it is an attempt at turning this into a Sierra game. Next up, you'll lose the game because you forgot to pick something up at the beginning at the game.

What's up doc?
Armatron
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: January 25, 2012, 11:06:34 pm »

ive been playing this game for awhile and started to think many of the ideas were inspired by H.P. Lovecrafts ideas and other sources

H.P. Lovecrafts Alien Races Art (more inspirations)
http://www.squidoo.com/the-alien-races-of-h-p-lovecraft

Star Control - Artistic Elaborations (some good artistic inspirations here as well funny to)
http://androidarts.com/starcontrol/star_control.htm

Grin

« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 11:23:08 pm by Armatron » Logged
Delphot
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: January 26, 2012, 10:35:37 pm »

Few days ago i was showing my gf (she also likes videogames) the best game of alltime.
Then i saw the Lurg video and i found P6014.

I must say i'm amazed and so happy to see this jewel of a game restored, up and running. You've given me something to look foward to.

Keep up the great job guys!
CelticMinstrel
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: January 30, 2012, 08:06:31 pm »

Whoa, I last posted in this thread on page 6, which is three years ago, and now it's all the way to page 27! Is it my imagination, or have I heard rumours of the Chmmr turning evil?

The problem is there is no high res version of those fonts. So we've had to look for alternatives.  If you'd like to go pixel by pixel and create high res version of those fonts, I'd love to have them.  At around 10 minutes per letter, multiplied by the entire alphabet (including European characters, Cyrllic characters, and other extended characters), and multiply that by 30 alien races... You're looking at around 1,200 hours worth of work.   Roll Eyes     So, no.   Not going to happen PRH. Sorry. 
Would it not be possible to use something to turn the pixel fonts into a vector image and then use that for a new font? I'm not really sure if that could work, but it feels like it might have a chance.
dczanik
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #397 on: January 30, 2012, 08:45:39 pm »

Whoa, I last posted in this thread on page 6, which is three years ago, and now it's all the way to page 27! Is it my imagination, or have I heard rumours of the Chmmr turning evil?

Would it not be possible to use something to turn the pixel fonts into a vector image and then use that for a new font? I'm not really sure if that could work, but it feels like it might have a chance.

Rumors are rumors. I try to keep out of the writing part, so I'm not sure exactly what's going to happen. I want to be as surprised as everybody else.  Even what's in the demo may change drastically to what's in the full game. 

We have a guy on the art team, Kwayne who has taken it upon himself to reproduce some of the fonts as close as possible.  And with the HD project... some fonts, like the Pkunk I think look better than the original, and fit the alien perfectly.  If you ever looked at the quality of 'vectorizing' stuff like fonts. It's really hit-or-miss.  When it works, it's great. When it doesn't...it looks horrible.  Some of the stuff for the HD project, like the Ilwrath, I've never been able to find anything even remotely close enough...so I created my own. Extended characters, European characters, and even Cyrillic characters are issues we deal and struggle with.  Too much stuff to do, not enough people working on it.  So if you want to help... I'd love it.

If you haven't been read this forum in 3 years... check out the demo. You'll see lots of changes Smiley 

Or at least check out the youtube video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQBQYi88AAI&feature=youtu.be

Thanks Delphot! We always appreciate the comments. 

- Damon
Ur-Quan Masters HD Project leader/artist. Project 6014 Artist.  Like my art? Please check out some of my other artwork
CelticMinstrel
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: January 30, 2012, 09:33:56 pm »

Yeah, I downloaded the demo just before posting that... haven't tried it yet though.
CelticMinstrel
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: January 31, 2012, 04:45:52 am »

Why are you forcing the tiny resolution upon people who haven't installed the hi-def packages? What happened to the scaling options? It's especially jarring because the option to choose the scaling method is still there even though it's clearly completely ignored.
ColinWilson1980
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: January 31, 2012, 05:13:44 am »

Seems like I have a similar story to many.  I used to play SC2 with a couple friends back when the game was new, we'd kill en entire weekend on Super Melee.  I downloaded UQM a few years ago, and every six months or so I'd give it a go.  I just played through the P6014 demo, and my god you guys have done an amazing job.  The new ship is very, very neat, and I missed the good' ole Avatar.

I'm really looking forward to trying your next version, there can't a SC fan who won't be thrilled by this version!
CelticMinstrel
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: January 31, 2012, 05:47:48 am »

I have to say, the graphics are a bit hard on the eyes, despite (or perhaps because of) the higher resolution... I'm mostly thinking of poor contrast between certain things, particularly some of the planets. Also, the new quake graphics make them almost invisible.
superbutcherx
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: January 31, 2012, 08:18:44 am »

Why are you forcing the tiny resolution upon people who haven't installed the hi-def packages? What happened to the scaling options? It's especially jarring because the option to choose the scaling method is still there even though it's clearly completely ignored.
They scaling methods work all right:

Select 320x240 as your resolution, then select one of the "Stretch gfx?" options. For instance, selecting 320->800 will stretch the original 320x240 graphics to 800x600 graphics. Then you can select the softening scaler (biadapt, hq, etc...) as you please.

The stretched lo-res graphics are in a separate menu item since 0.2.1 since many people found it confusing to have them in the same menu item as the hi-res graphics.
CelticMinstrel
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: January 31, 2012, 03:39:58 pm »

And now I've found it confusing to have it in a different menu item. Tongue
CelticMinstrel
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: February 02, 2012, 07:43:42 am »

Well, having played through the demo twice (once going straight to the goal, and once taking time to visit the various allies first), I have lots of things to say. Doubtless there's more that I've forgotten, though I opened up the game to remind me of a couple of them.

Things I like
  • The Lurg. I'm not even really sure why, but they just seem right somehow.
  • Umgah selling the Slylandro modified Marauder vessels (though I was slightly disappointed to discover that, if attacked, they immediately warp away and lack their own victory ditty, mainly because I liked the idea of them having their own victory ditty)
  • Moving planets and starbases
  • The various new comm screens; Syreen homeworld, Syreen ship, Earthling ship, Shofixti colony, Yehat starbase... I think that's all of them? Commander Hayes doesn't count as "new" since it's just a minor modification of the existing one.
  • The fate of the Kohr-Ah's talking pets seems logical, though it makes me wonder how they translate now that they don't have them.
  • The use of "spheres of influence" to convey other information.
  • (click to show/hide)
  • Multiple starbases! Though there's nothing to actually differentiate them (other than appearance/location)... whether that's good or bad, I'm not sure.

Things I dislike
  • (click to show/hide)
  • Use of what appears to be the planet images from orbit mode in solar system mode; it makes the planets hard to see.
  • The supposed fate of the Ilwrath and Thraddash... I'm of the school who believes that their fleets would have been totally destroyed but some survivors would've remained planetbound on their respective homeworlds.
  • Syreen starbase comm screen. I hope this is just temporary, because it's the worst art in the demo. It doesn't even look human, really.
  • The Utwig's withdrawal seems too forced to me, though I suppose it does sort of fit them.
  • Not being allowed to land/converse on allied homeworlds. On the whole, I would prefer being forced into conversation rather than the computer refusing to dispatch a lander.
  • Vela in general... it's a significant human colony, so why is the only thing you can do there land and return home to find a note from Talana? Speaking of which, why is Talana not with you?

Things I'm not really sure about; ie, I don't really dislike them, but neither are they particularly nice.
  • The nebula backgrounds in solar systems
  • (not entirely P6014-related) Some of the high-definition graphics are really nice, but I don't much like Commander Hayes or the planet quakes. On the whole I think I prefer the original graphics, but my mileage varies quite a bit.
  • The way that ally spheres of influence usually focus on their home star and contain only that star... until you talk to one of their ships, at which point the actual sphere becomes evident.
  • The Explorer.
  • The Melnorme somehow seem a whole lot less adept at information gathering than they were in UQM.
  • The Lurg's reasoning for the Ur-Quan missing them... I should think it's not the actual reason though, so I guess it's not that bad.

Random rambling, feel free to ignore Tongue

(Spoilered just in case)

(click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 46 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length