The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 07:13:49 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Project 6014 – Ur-Quan Masters mod
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 46 Print
Author Topic: Project 6014 – Ur-Quan Masters mod  (Read 191262 times)
hackdx
Zebranky food

View Profile
Re: Project 6014 – Ur-Quan Masters mod
« Reply #405 on: February 03, 2012, 11:55:31 am »

Well, having played through the demo twice (once going straight to the goal, and once taking time to visit the various allies first), I have lots of things to say. Doubtless there's more that I've forgotten, though I opened up the game to remind me of a couple of them.
Those are all very good points, and I agree with most of them! I just wanted to weigh in on two of them:

Random stuff/Dialogue options/Slylandro: I think the entire dialogue system at the moment is still very much at an alpha/preview stage. In fact, with any race there is no sort of "memory" of what you've already said, and you always have the entire dialogue tree available as though you've just met the guys. I imagine this will all get reworked before long. And I hope that the Slylandro will get a bit more of a role in that :-)

Chmmr dislike: I must say I agree whole-heartedly that the direction which the story seems to take worries me a bit. For one, there's the obvious frustration that the fight you were fighting in the original game wasn't because you were the "good guys", but rather because you were just as bad, but you just didn't want to be on the losing side. Second, it's too cliché and trite a device to have your trusted mentors from Part I become the villains in Part II. We should be able to come up with something more original than that. And third it feels very much out of character. Granted that the Chmmr are a new species and don't really have a past characterization, but it paints a bleak and depressing picture of the new Alliance. I just really cannot get behind the idea of the Alliance slave-shielding anyone. After at least three core members of the old core alliance were slave-shielded for so long, you would have to be very cynical to think that that's an appropriate way to deal with opposition, and it somehow makes you not want to fight for those guys anymore.

Anyway, as I've been saying, on a technical level the game is looking better and better as time goes by, so I'm very excited to see the final product one day!
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: February 04, 2012, 01:31:41 pm »

Random stuff/Dialogue options/Slylandro: I think the entire dialogue system at the moment is still very much at an alpha/preview stage. In fact, with any race there is no sort of "memory" of what you've already said, and you always have the entire dialogue tree available as though you've just met the guys.

I know of at least 1 race I built to remember things and I've tested it, 1 race which I designed to remember things but I have not tested it, 1 race where I think I remember it knowing what I've said, and 1 race for which I've seen the source code and they really ought to remember something.

The overall point that all of the races should have multiple long-term states is correct.
Kaiser
Zebranky food

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: February 06, 2012, 02:36:55 pm »

I just really cannot get behind the idea of the Alliance slave-shielding anyone. After at least three core members of the old core alliance were slave-shielded for so long, you would have to be very cynical to think that that's an appropriate way to deal with opposition, and it somehow makes you not want to fight for those guys anymore.
I will say this:  Provided the Alliance does not believe it to be a permanent solution, but rather a stopgap until they decide what to REALLY do with them?  It makes sense.  They would do it reluctantly while they rebuild and debate what steps to take.  Like with the Mycon. 
CelticMinstrel
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: February 06, 2012, 09:26:46 pm »

I think that argument works for the Mycon. I don't think it works for the VUX.
Kaiser
Zebranky food

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: February 10, 2012, 10:17:03 pm »

The VUX are inherently aggressive and xenophobic.  Of all the Hierarchy races, they're one of the ones most likely to continue the war.  Especially against Earth.  I could easily see the VUX going pirate in Earthling space.
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: February 10, 2012, 10:24:22 pm »

The VUX being reliant on sunlight may go in later versions. The repetition of the theme seems excessive. One is fine, but both? Really?
Dabir
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: February 11, 2012, 01:30:55 am »

Well, they are green, plus they have a pretty big eye. Actually, I seem to remember reading that they were perfectly adapted to low-light conditions and could see a much wider spectrum of light than humans. The question is, was that in actual source material or was it only in Zarla's fanfluff..?
CelticMinstrel
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: February 11, 2012, 11:37:26 pm »

The VUX are inherently aggressive and xenophobic.  Of all the Hierarchy races, they're one of the ones most likely to continue the war.  Especially against Earth.  I could easily see the VUX going pirate in Earthling space.
Perhaps, but I don't really see that as justification for slave-shielding them; they weren't a significant issue before the war, after all, so even if they did try to continue fighting I don't see why they'd be an issue afterwards. Especially since they've lost Admiral ZEX.

The repetition of the theme seems excessive. One is fine, but both? Really?
Repetition? Some other race is reliant on sunlight?
Kaiser
Zebranky food

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: February 12, 2012, 12:20:40 am »

They weren't a significant issue before the war because few of the races knew of them.  Pretty much, it'd only have been the Yehat and their ships are well suited for turning Intruders into scrap.

Just the VUX -seeing- humans was enough to make them want to destroy Earthling craft.  Without the Ur-quan to hold them in check, would they be able to resist taking out Earth freighters?

As for ZEX?  I find it hard to believe an entire race that spread across numerous worlds would be unable to field another tactician.
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: February 12, 2012, 04:08:30 am »

The repetition of the theme seems excessive. One is fine, but both? Really?
Repetition? Some other race is reliant on sunlight?

I'm pretty sure that sun-reliance interefered-with-by-slave-shielding is claimed of the Mycon too. In their case, they had a sun device, which suggests solar energy is important to them, even if they're subterranean.
Kwayne
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: February 12, 2012, 01:57:36 pm »

Is there any actual need to invent excuses to victimize the VUX or the Mycon anyway?

Check dA for some of my non-art ... http://kwayne64.deviantart.com/
hackdx
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: February 12, 2012, 02:36:22 pm »

I don't think there's any dispute about the hostility of either Vux or Mycon. The only problem I have is with the excessiveness of vindictiveness of the Alliance response.

I always though that the experience of living under a slave shield for what would at the time have been perceived as the rest of eternity was one of the most haunting and frightening things imaginable. And having lived thus for nigh two decades, any of the slave races should have found it to be a terrible thing to impose on anyone. There's a basic element of compassion that we would like people who we are supposed to relate to to have. Anyone who has experienced the reality of living under the shield should not want to wish this even on their enemies.

There's no reason why hostile aliens can't just be contained by conventional means. A decisive military victory would simply leave their fleets decimated and their starship production facilities bombed to a crisp. But is there really a need for sadistic revenge?
Kwayne
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: February 12, 2012, 03:45:40 pm »

I don't think there's any dispute about the hostility of either Vux or Mycon. The only problem I have is with the excessiveness of vindictiveness of the Alliance response.

I always though that the experience of living under a slave shield for what would at the time have been perceived as the rest of eternity was one of the most haunting and frightening things imaginable. And having lived thus for nigh two decades, any of the slave races should have found it to be a terrible thing to impose on anyone. There's a basic element of compassion that we would like people who we are supposed to relate to to have. Anyone who has experienced the reality of living under the shield should not want to wish this even on their enemies.

After the Second Doctrinal Conflict, the most powerful race around is the Chmmr. Powerful enough to impose any policy they want on anyone while the Alliance they're not reluctant anymore to lead formally is in the phase of rebuilding, rather powerless. Not just that, but many other Alliance races are not exactly human (, VUX-, Mycon-) rights activists either. Both races who merged into being the Chmmr were slave-shielded, and they were able to cross the impenetrable shield, so they were not so touched by the whole thing. Even better, the shield served the purpose of protection for their great plan. In their new, Chmmr perspective, the shield is a highly effective solution that nullifies the slightest possibility of future conflicts caused by both races who are undisputedly hostile.

There's no reason why hostile aliens can't just be contained by conventional means. A decisive military victory would simply leave their fleets decimated and their starship production facilities bombed to a crisp. But is there really a need for sadistic revenge?

Imprisonment is a pretty conventional punishment I think.

CelticMinstrel
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: February 12, 2012, 03:59:43 pm »

Not on that scale.
Kwayne
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: February 12, 2012, 04:15:15 pm »

Not on that scale.

By what standards?

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 46 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length