The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:11:07 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Project 6014 – Ur-Quan Masters mod
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 46 Print
Author Topic: Project 6014 – Ur-Quan Masters mod  (Read 191407 times)
Ride
Zebranky food

View Profile
Re: Project 6014 – Ur-Quan Masters mod
« Reply #90 on: April 13, 2010, 10:20:17 am »

Hey Cedric, I'm keen to help out on the project if needed. I'm an accomplished writer and love SC2. I can help with dialogue, races etc. Hit me up if you need a hand. Oh and I'm in NZ too if that helps Smiley

Cheers
Cedric6014
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 13, 2010, 10:53:50 am »

Not another bloody kiwi

Sent you a PM - so have a look at that

Play online melee here! http://irc.uqm.stack.nl/
SweetSassyMolassy
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 29, 2010, 12:33:10 am »

The most recent pictures from superbutcherx look really exciting. Is it almost time for the demo?

I am not always understand about what you speak, unfortunately.
Cedric6014
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 29, 2010, 04:44:02 am »

Sad to say that those cool pictures probably won’t translate into universal doubling of graphics resolution for the game, or the demo. UNLESS we can figure out some way of converting thousands of .png files quickly.

As far as demo ETA – depends on how soon we can get a decent Earthling and/or Syreen comm screen. We’re not gonna release unless we get this as to make a release worthwhile we need new cool stuff to impress people.

And we’re only gonna accept art of a comparable quality to UQM comm screens

superbutcherx
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 29, 2010, 11:21:19 am »

I'll second that. The demo will be 320x240.
Whilst it's been interesting to toy around with the better rez, the amount of PNGs that would need resizing is insane.

There are batch resizing programs I've used that can resize hundreds of images in a matter of moments, but even with those there would be some kinks:
- All the resized files should be put into separate addon folder and then write correct resource mappings for all of them, if we want to keep the old gfx available for other resolutions
- Writing new .ani files that contain correct  centering information for the new, larger frames
- Comm screen animations' c source code would need a lot of work to align the anim frames correctly
- And of course eventually: Actually drawing new, more detailed image frames, not just using the old 320x240 resized to 640x480
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 29, 2010, 07:25:57 pm »

Sad to say that those cool pictures probably won’t translate into universal doubling of graphics resolution for the game, or the demo. UNLESS we can figure out some way of converting thousands of .png files quickly.

I'm pretty good with the stretch tool, I could probably do a few hundred a day Smiley

What's up doc?
Angelfish
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 29, 2010, 07:32:13 pm »

imagemagick should be able to handle that, wouldn't it?
superbutcherx
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 30, 2010, 10:28:57 am »

If you guys are willing to stretch the original 320x240 to doublesize that'd be great!
Then the graphics could be incrementally enhanced, replacing the stretched gfx with completely new art slowly but surely, one at a time.

One thing to bear in mind:
There are several different algorithms for resizing. The one to be used should be a resizer that retains sharp edges i.e. doesn't blur.
That'd keep the original look of the graphics.
Whereas i.e. bicubic interpolation does make things smoother, it makes them also... blurry.

I for my part rather look at a bit blocky and pixelated art, than plasticky blurred gfx that still clearly show that they're modified lo-res graphics.
Steve-O
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 06, 2010, 03:11:53 pm »

From what I've read about this project so far (here, in this thread =P) it sounds very exciting!  I look forward to a playable demo, and I agree that upping the resolution is a lesser priority.  I think it's safe to say anyone who's interested in playing this game has already come to terms with the resolution used in the original SC2, so they'll probably be fine with a new game that has the same (admittedly dated) quality.
Valos Cor
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 18, 2010, 11:10:23 pm »

Well, after reading this entire forum and the entire forum on the other website at Star Control...I decided that I would like to help (if I can).  I don't know much that I think I could help the project with...here's my "resume": I don't know any C or anything like that...I only know how to access the uqm files...I know a little html...I have Flash 4 on wine (ooh...impressive...) and I can use it sort of...I don't have much experience in art though that would be my best shot I think...I can write pretty well I suppose...Well, if you give my several hours I MIGHT GUARANTEE to produce something useful for something important..somewhere in the game...at some point in the future.  So is all you need is Syreen and Human comm screens?  I hope you can provide some explanation to the player that - if you manage to get a Human comm screen - how that every human captain looks the same though I wouldn't worry about it too much. I guess the same goes for the Syreen?  Meanwhile, I'll reread the forum.  

Well, this mod seems to be at a great start and I can't wait to help or play the demo if I can't help.

I'm the kind of person that uses Linux and seems to be a very literate adult but has no idea how to do anything code-wise beyond basic stuff.(such as su -<password> yum install uqm) Except I didn't install UQM that way...I used Add/Remove Software...
Alvarin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 18, 2010, 11:45:51 pm »

I'd say one could achieve that using specifically "generic" face with no extra facial features, average size, color, hairstyle e.t.c
Another way is something SC3 did - visored helmet and big microphone piece, though they fluked hard with the brows, but that would be against the mellee captain's screen - if they don't wear it in battle, why would they in peaceful conversation?

**Cedric - it's not aimed against what you did, just my thoughts on the issue.
Valos Cor
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 19, 2010, 03:42:00 am »

I just thought about it, and I guess if you get the basic comm screen, it wouldn't be too hard to just have a difference face and slightly different body.  You could have a shorter person, a man and a woman, different hair color, different skin color, different eye color...but thats making it a little to complicated.

I'm the kind of person that uses Linux and seems to be a very literate adult but has no idea how to do anything code-wise beyond basic stuff.(such as su -<password> yum install uqm) Except I didn't install UQM that way...I used Add/Remove Software...
Quinarbre
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 19, 2010, 12:10:16 pm »

That would be really great, but from what I know about the way comms are implemented, it would require some serious modding.

And how do you explain that all the other aliens all look the same ? I could easily imagine distinguishable features on the "faces" of nearly every other race.

Back on topic : someone has already done pretty advanced work on the Human captain, but as far as I know, both Syreen (a generic captain and a commander for the base) are still needed.
Valos Cor
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 19, 2010, 06:15:12 pm »

Yeah, but (at least, the way I saw it) was that alien's generally had similar faces (kind of like some animals) and we just took for granted that they were different individuals.  I guess it doesn't really matter...

Cedric6014
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 20, 2010, 12:24:56 am »

What Quinabre said! Earthling is under control but I would KILL for a syreen.

Really appreicate the offer of assistance

We will need writers for sure. And we've had quite a few offers. Wont be worryig about that just yet though. We have enough amaturish written material for a demo release.

Just need the art! Feel free to have a crack at Syreen. Or even a random new alien if you wish.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 46 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length