The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:19:46 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  How does the New Alliance win the war?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: How does the New Alliance win the war?  (Read 10289 times)
Vindicator
Zebranky food

View Profile
Re: How does the New Alliance win the war?
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2009, 11:25:28 pm »

What about the Ur-Quan's will to fight? We know that there is only 1 UQ per ship, and the rest are thralls. By now, these thralls are probably made up of Hierarchy races from the game area (they might have been the thralls from previous sectors of the galaxy when the UQ first arrived). The prevalence of expendable crew aboard UQ dreadnoughts suggests two things:

1. UQ don't like to die. And after the demoralizing events at the end of SC2, perhaps they don't see a need to charge headlong into a reinvigorated Alliance. The NAFS, on the other hand, are fighting for their freedom and very survival. UQ have a place to withdraw to (the Magellanic Clouds according to the 3D0 SC2)

2. The hierarchy races aboard the Dreadnoughts might have become aware of the turmoil among the Ur-Quan after the reintroduction of the Dynarri and the destruction of the Sa-Matra. There may have been difficulty in communicating after the UQ exterminated all their Dynarri. The slave races might have then realized that UQ control was collapsing. What if they learned about the Spathi leaving, the Thraddash being attacked by the Ilwrwath, the damage to the Mycon, etc... They might have wanted to go and defend their homes, or at least no longer die for the UQ, knowing their homeworlds were no longer under UQ compulsion.

When Zelnick spoke about disarray among the UQ, he might have even meant within UQ ships, not just among the UQ factions (including possible factions outside the sector.)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 11:27:16 pm by Vindicator » Logged
hthu
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2009, 11:38:39 pm »

You guys forgot one important thing:

Remember how your flagship was able to, by the end of the game, with all the upgrades, pretty much walk all over the place unopposed ALONE?  They have a Precursor starship at their disposal.

... oh right, that thing got blown to pieces near the end.

... but remember

The New Alliance has a Precursor factory on Vela!!

The Chmmr managed to crack the slave shield.  They would apply the same technique to crack the slave shield around Earth's and VELA'S SLAVE SHIELD.  Now all it takes to for somebody (ie, the Chmmr or others) to guard that place long enough for a couple of Vindicators to be produced, crewed, and they can start kicking alian butts.
Alvarin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2009, 12:18:51 am »

Well , the most important part of the ship - it's computer was dismantled from Vela's facility and later blown to pieces . There is no way of constructing new ships there anymore . In addition , the Ur-Quans recognized the Vindicator right away , it's not unlikely they have a couple of those themselves .
hthu
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2009, 12:31:44 am »

Well , the most important part of the ship - it's computer was dismantled from Vela's facility and later blown to pieces . There is no way of constructing new ships there anymore

uh, where did you get that from?  i don't remember the computer being dismantled from Vela's facility and blown to pieces.  in fact, i don't recall any mention of the said computer at Vela.
jaychant
*Smell* controller

Please visit my homepage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2009, 01:37:00 am »

It was used for the Vindicator.

Please visit my homepage.
Draxas
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2009, 01:42:47 am »

Well , the most important part of the ship - it's computer was dismantled from Vela's facility and later blown to pieces . There is no way of constructing new ships there anymore

uh, where did you get that from?  i don't remember the computer being dismantled from Vela's facility and blown to pieces.  in fact, i don't recall any mention of the said computer at Vela.

I believe it's in the backstory in the SC2 manual.
CelticMinstrel
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2009, 03:29:39 pm »

I just read through the entire thread...

I'm not sure if the Pkunk and Orz would actually care to join the war. I mean, unlike the Utwig/Supox, they only gave the Captain a few ships (and ships designs) rather than fight themselves. The Pkunk just had quite a nasty war anyway.
The Pkunk would – they've merged with the Yehat.

Oh, we do? Forgive my ignorance, I assumed the UQM would monitor such developments (which was my case against the Chmmr having a large fleet of Avatars).
Normally they would have, but they were kind of busy with their Doctrinal Conflict. Wink

Nemesi are probably extensions of Them just as much as the people inside are,
I consider this unlikely, since non-Orz can also fly inside a Nemesis.

They did get a message telling them to stay put until the Chenjesu and M:bots could come free them, didn't they?
A message was sent, yes, but I thought they never received it.

Oh, and one more thing: Delta Crateris was packed full of ships of both UQ subraces. The Sa-Matra's explosion caused a huge blast that even swept the relatively far-away escape pod with a semi-dangerous dose of radiation, right?
Can the explosion perhaps be of a scale nearing Delta Gorno? If so, then the Ur-Quan are looking at some very massive losses (on the scale of Delta Gorno? Wink).
Well, you'd have to consider that the Captian had just defeated the Ur-Quan left in that system; the others had left the area. So I doubt there'd be losses as significant as Delta Gorno.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length