The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:25:15 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Starbase Café (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  CSA Website (This is so retarded...)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: CSA Website (This is so retarded...)  (Read 6296 times)
Resh Aleph
*Smell* controller

Rottem Tomatoes

View Profile
Re: CSA Website (This is so retarded...)
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2009, 09:41:56 am »

Not really, they are more dangerous, but fanatic is a more proper term than idiot for terrorists.

Killing random "infidels" to fix the world seems pretty idiotic to me... Tongue

Marines on Maulers and limpets on Earthlings  /  Bright Podship plasma and warm Kohr-Ah death rings  /
Shofixti Scouts doing gravity whips  /  These are a few of my favorite ships!
       © meep-eep
Draxas
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2009, 04:04:46 pm »

I'm probably just reading too much into this, but when you say declare war on the CSA again, does that mean they've been involved in some sort of trouble already

The US Civil War that ended in 1865 was fought between the northern states, who still identified themselves as the USA, and the southern states, who had declared themselves a separate nation, seceded from the union, and called themselves the CSA. Essentially, the "current" CSA is just a desperate cry for attention from a small number of folks who think that things like "people who aren't the same color as you should be considered property" and "the industrial revolution was overrated and we should have no trouble maintaining a plantation-based economy for our entire country" are glorious notions worth revisiting.
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2009, 04:26:25 pm »

Ah, I see. I didn't know the southern states called themselves CSA back then as well.

What's up doc?
jaychant
*Smell* controller

Please visit my homepage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2009, 09:07:35 pm »

I'm probably just reading too much into this, but when you say declare war on the CSA again, does that mean they've been involved in some sort of trouble already

The US Civil War that ended in 1865 was fought between the northern states, who still identified themselves as the USA, and the southern states, who had declared themselves a separate nation, seceded from the union, and called themselves the CSA. Essentially, the "current" CSA is just a desperate cry for attention from a small number of folks who think that things like "people who aren't the same color as you should be considered property" and "the industrial revolution was overrated and we should have no trouble maintaining a plantation-based economy for our entire country" are glorious notions worth revisiting.

I hate to burst your bubble, but modern advocates for the return of the CSA don't want slavery brought back. They want to be under a confederation, in which all the states are independent, instead of a federation (which the USA is), in which all states are ruled by Congress. That was actually the main reason for the CSA (not just to keep slavery, but because of the fact that Congress took away their right to have slaves without their consent). That is why they were called the Confederate States of America, because they wanted to eliminate power in central government and return to confederation.

EDIT: I looked at that website again, and they have the constitution of the CSA as it was 150 years ago copied word for word (as far as I can tell). Even the stuff allowing slavery. Actually, the article still uses the word "negro" to reference African Americans. Since the article is typed, and the CSA constitution wasn't originally typed, they couldn't have copied/pasted it, so now I think you're right. These people are insane!!!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 11:00:45 pm by jaychant » Logged

Please visit my homepage.
Cedric6014
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2009, 11:27:28 pm »

Interesting.

As I understand it the CSA were: North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia,
Alabama, Texas, Louisiana, Florida, Mississippi, Tennessee, Arkansas and Virginia.

Maybe the US of A should let these nutjob states go their separate way any way (apart from northern Virginia maybe).

That way John McCain would still get to be president and everyone would be happy.

The main issue would be that the black population of most of these states is pretty high, and they would be none-too-pleased about being lorded over by a bunch of overall- wearin’, gun-totin’, whiskey-drinkin’ good ol’ boys.

Hmm so maybe that’s a bad idea.

Play online melee here! http://irc.uqm.stack.nl/
SweetSassyMolassy
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2009, 11:33:48 pm »

Nutjob states? The CSA doesn't speak for everyone in those states.

I am not always understand about what you speak, unfortunately.
Cedric6014
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2009, 11:49:42 pm »

No I agree. Gross generalisation on my part. But generalisations are fun though, and founded in some truth.

However given that states pass nutjob laws that apply to all its citizens, and have their own identities, its not too far-fetched to label a state nutjob. Even though the are made up of individuals.

Perhaps better to say that in those states there are a higher proportion of nutjobs than in other states.

And only my definition of nutjob. Far be it from me to impose my definition on everyone else.

Play online melee here! http://irc.uqm.stack.nl/
jaychant
*Smell* controller

Please visit my homepage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2009, 11:56:29 pm »

I'd bet Mississippi would revolt and revive the CSA. They easily support their current flag. Look familiar?

If I'm not mistaken, Mississippi is notorious for being racist.

Please visit my homepage.
Resh Aleph
*Smell* controller

Rottem Tomatoes

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2009, 09:58:11 am »

The federal government should improve the education system. That is the only real solution. Throw all superstition and non-democratic ways out of the window while they're still young. Unfortunately, it seems like some people would not let that happen. Sad

*runs away from Luki*

Marines on Maulers and limpets on Earthlings  /  Bright Podship plasma and warm Kohr-Ah death rings  /
       © meep-eep
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2009, 10:12:29 am »

Er, what now? I'm greatly in favour of both good education and a secular state.1 From the article I can see that the guy was pretty abrasive, but still right. Creationism is religious, superstitious nonsense.

As an aside, this is pretty hilarious:

"When you put on your Jesus glasses, you can't see the truth."

I'm going to get me a pair of those. I wonder if they'll help me walk on water.

1Link only for Resh Alephs benefit, probably wont interest the rest of you.

What's up doc?
Resh Aleph
*Smell* controller

Rottem Tomatoes

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2009, 11:26:03 am »

Oh. Alrighty then! \o/

... though I don't really see how creationism is fundamentally different from any other form of unfounded belief.
But best not to get into that discussion, it'll never end. Tongue

© meep-eep
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2009, 11:40:04 am »

... though I don't really see how creationism is fundamentally different from any other form of unfounded belief.
But best not to get into that discussion, it'll never end. Tongue

To me it isn't fundamentally different from any other belief except if it is being presented as science. People can believe what they want on their personal time. I don't see much difference (proof wise) between me believing in the existence of a higher being and someone else believing the world was created 6000 years ago. Neither of them can be proven, is scientific, or should matter outside the personal sphere. But presenting a belief as fact or trying to prove it is stupid.

But I don't think we should continue this, since it's one of those spirals that never actually ends. If you want to send huge amounts of time in front of the computer writing and reading, click the link in my sig instead. Wink

What's up doc?
Draxas
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2009, 04:48:53 pm »

Interesting.

As I understand it the CSA were: North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia,
Alabama, Texas, Louisiana, Florida, Mississippi, Tennessee, Arkansas and Virginia.

If I recall correctly, Texas and Florida were not member states, but Kentucky and Missouri were. Of course, I haven't brushed up on my Civil War history since about 15+ years ago, so my memory is quite possibly fuzzy on the matter.

I'd bet Mississippi would revolt and revive the CSA. They easily support their current flag. Look familiar?

If I'm not mistaken, Mississippi is notorious for being racist.

It's probably a tossup between Mississippi and Alabama for the most racist state, though many others are vying for that #3 spot. Not to mention that if you look at quite a few of the former CSA member states, many of them either currently have or fairly recently changed from flag designs that feature the Confederate motif prominently.

The federal government should improve the education system. That is the only real solution. Throw all superstition and non-democratic ways out of the window while they're still young. Unfortunately, it seems like some people would not let that happen.

The problem is this: The states that are most poorly educated are also the poorest monetarily, because their people are the poorest monetarily. Without money, you can't improve schooling, and without improving schooling, you can't improve the education they provide, and if you can't provide better education, then the students are not likely to wind up better off than their parents. And so, the vicious cycle continues.

As an aside, it's probably no coincidence that Mississippi is #50 of 50 in education in the US, especially in reference to the above remarks about racism.

Then again, all the education in the world can't stop parents from spewing hate and spreading those beliefs to their children, which is the real reason why racism persists today.
Spurk
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2009, 06:30:51 pm »

As an aside, it's probably no coincidence that Mississippi is #50 of 50 in education in the US, especially in reference to the above remarks about racism.

Man, just how many states are 50th out of 50 in education? It seems like every time I talk to someone it's a different state in last place. And they're always jockeying for position with a different 49th-place state.

I have heard:

1. #50 Mississippi (#49 Alabama?)

2. #50 South Carolina, #49 Georgia

3. #50 Michigan, #49 Florida

all of those have been said to me within the last year or so in rather authoritative voices. And that's not counting the article I just read about how it's impossible for California to fire teachers who can't teach. Where is the state with glorious education program? North Dakota or some other fictitious state?
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2009, 07:00:47 pm »

What makes it even weirder is this:

Quote from: Wikipedia_on_Lake_Wobegon_effect
Distorted statistics

In 1987, John Cannell completed a study that reported the statistically impossible finding that all states claimed average student test scores above the national norm. The finding is generally admitted; the causes are disputed.[4]

So some states have the worst education, but every state is above average? Or was back then anyhow.

What's up doc?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length