The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:20:12 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Starbase Café (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Sadomasochism (sadistic people)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Poll
Question: What is your stance on sadomasochism?
Sadistic people should go to ****! What is wrong with their minds?!
I don't see a problem with it. It's not like they will actually hurt someone.
I'm against it, but I guess they really don't have a choice.

Author Topic: Sadomasochism (sadistic people)  (Read 9713 times)
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
Re: Sadomasochism (sadistic people)
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 03:54:10 pm »

And Luki was right from the beginning, as always  Cool

I think this is what everyone should be taking away from this topic. You've all learned a valuable lesson today.  Tongue

What's up doc?
UAF
*Many bubbles*

Robot in Disguise

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2009, 01:27:29 am »

So the poll is about the sexual habit, or the mental disorder that get people hurt badly against their will?

Because I'm find with badly hurting people against their will, but I'm against consensual sexual activities that are not the most basic form of intercourse and are aimed for procreation.

And for those who don't get it when I'm joking (there are always a few of those around) - I'm fine with people doing whatever they want with eachother as long as both parties want it and no one ends in the hospital.
I'm against harming people against their will. Or even harming people when they do want it (and I mean injury causing, not some hot candle wax games that they enjoy).

So right now I still don't know how to vote. Need clarification,
jaychant
*Smell* controller

Please visit my homepage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2009, 03:35:15 am »

So the poll is about the sexual habit, or the mental disorder that get people hurt badly against their will?

Because I'm find with badly hurting people against their will, but I'm against consensual sexual activities that are not the most basic form of intercourse and are aimed for procreation.

And for those who don't get it when I'm joking (there are always a few of those around) - I'm fine with people doing whatever they want with eachother as long as both parties want it and no one ends in the hospital.
I'm against harming people against their will. Or even harming people when they do want it (and I mean injury causing, not some hot candle wax games that they enjoy).

So right now I still don't know how to vote. Need clarification,

Since I said sadomasochism and not just sadism, I meant the sexual one.

You know, I once stumbled across a funny person who thought he was sadistic. He said something along the lines of:

"I'm sadistic. So why am I sadistic? It's easy! People abuse me alot! So I just want to see people suffer, because I hate them! That's why I hurt people!"

That isn't sadism. What he described (and I might have not replicated it well, because I read it weeks ago) was something that sounded more like a hatred of people than a satisfaction on the infliction of pain on others. The one thing that I liked was commenters were ridiculing the clueless guy's words, though they didn't exactly understand either, saying stuff like, "If ur sadistic u should enjoy being abused! All of them r like that!" That particular person was talking about the link of sadism to masochism and in a sense is right, except that masochists don't generally like it if they are truly abused, raped, etc because they are no longer in control. This might seem like a paradox, but it's how it works. In BDSM, while the masochist (submissive) is succumbing to the sadist (dominant), the submissive was able to make the choice to do it, rather than being forced into it. Now I should stop ranting, before my paragraph starts getting into too many different topics at once. Point is, I don't think people fully understand what sadomasochism is.

Please visit my homepage.
UAF
*Many bubbles*

Robot in Disguise

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2009, 08:01:18 pm »

The poll's first option says "sadistic people" which was a bit confusing.
Anyway I voted now (second option).

As for what you said. I think people sometimes confuse fantasies (sexual and other) with what people really want to HAPPEN.

For example, fantasizing about something horrible happening to someone you hate does NOT mean you really want it to happen to him.
Same goes to all types of fantasies, including the sexual ones.
Same in the case of BDSM, I assume (and I should mention that everything I say here is IMO and I'm no expert). One fantasises about raping or abusing, the other fantasises about being in the reciving ends. It does not mean that they want it to happen for real.

P.S - no time for spell checking, sorry if it shows...
jaychant
*Smell* controller

Please visit my homepage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2009, 11:21:34 pm »

The poll's first option says "sadistic people" which was a bit confusing.
Anyway I voted now (second option).

As for what you said. I think people sometimes confuse fantasies (sexual and other) with what people really want to HAPPEN.

For example, fantasizing about something horrible happening to someone you hate does NOT mean you really want it to happen to him.
Same goes to all types of fantasies, including the sexual ones.
Same in the case of BDSM, I assume (and I should mention that everything I say here is IMO and I'm no expert). One fantasises about raping or abusing, the other fantasises about being in the reciving ends. It does not mean that they want it to happen for real.

P.S - no time for spell checking, sorry if it shows...

You have the right idea. BDSM is a complex acronym that stands for: BD (Bondage & Discipline) DS (Dominance & Submission) and SM (Sadism & Masochism). You can see there's nothing about being forced to do something (i.e. rape), it is more like roleplaying, where one partner voluntarily gives up control (because of being a masochist, and gaining satisfaction from being "controlled"). The other partner then becomes "dominant" over the submissive in the roleplay scenario. On the other hand, rape is different: One person, for whatever reason (maybe they're mentally challenged), forces his will upon someone who did not consent, and it becomes real, not roleplay. A perfect analogy is war-based video games. Just because you enjoy playing these games doesn't mean you would want to fight for real.

Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2009, 09:00:15 pm »

You have the right idea. BDSM is a complex acronym that stands for: BD (Bondage & Discipline) DS (Dominance & Submission) and SM (Sadism & Masochism).

Well, you taught me something new. Not being very interested in that stuff I always just assumed that it meant Bondgage&Sadomaschosim. Live and learn I guess.

What's up doc?
Zeep-Eeep
Enlightened

Good Grief

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2009, 05:52:38 pm »

I'm confused, why is their no poll option for "I'm all for it?"
All the poll options appear to be against the idea. I think that, as long as it's practiced with consent, then people should be able to beat, tease and slap the heck out of each other.

What sound does a penguin make?
jaychant
*Smell* controller

Please visit my homepage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2009, 04:31:58 am »

That's sort of what option 2 is for. Option 1 is against, option 2 is for, and option 3 is indifferent.

Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2009, 01:57:43 pm »

I'm confused, why is sadism and masochism even tied to sexual "disorders".

I'm probably thinking of something different...

Is sadism the thing when someone gets a great deal of satisfaction seeing someone else in misery?

The artist once again known as Kohr-Ah Death 213.

Get your MegaMod HERE
jaychant
*Smell* controller

Please visit my homepage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2009, 04:07:11 pm »

Is sadism the thing when someone gets a great deal of satisfaction seeing someone else in misery?

Sadism: When someone gains sexual or non-sexual satisfaction from inflicting pain or humiliation on others, or otherwise dominating others.
Masochism: When someone gains sexual or non-sexual satisfaction from the infliction of pain or humiliation on oneself, or otherwise being dominated.

Zeep-Eeep
Enlightened

Good Grief

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2009, 11:38:20 pm »

A sadist is someone who won't hit a masochist.

Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2009, 06:26:53 am »

Sadism: When someone gains sexual or non-sexual satisfaction from inflicting pain or humiliation on others, or otherwise dominating others.
Masochism: When someone gains sexual or non-sexual satisfaction from the infliction of pain or humiliation on oneself, or otherwise being dominated.

Or more down to the point...

Why with the sex and why can't there be 2 different words for each definition...

Well here, lemme tell you what I'm "into" and you tell me the definition.

I enjoy seeing people in misery, not physical pain but emotional.
Never inflicting it myself but always enjoying it when it happens, especially when it happens to people
who tend to be more of a mindfuck than anything else. A.K.A. Manipulative/Greedy/Shallow Women
I'd give more examples but that seems to be the gist or the source of my issues.

The artist once again known as Kohr-Ah Death 213.

Get your MegaMod HERE
Zeep-Eeep
Enlightened

Good Grief

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2009, 12:04:11 am »

Death,

It sounds like, in a nutshell, you feel enjoyment when people you think are bad people feel terrible. Does that about sum it up?

That sounds a little like sadism. It also sounds a little like a lack of empathy for your enemies. Actually, it sounds like a sense of passive vengence.

Draxas
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2009, 03:54:28 pm »

SOunds mostly like schadenfreude, though. Happiness in the misfortune of others, indeed.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length