The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:56:47 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  SC2 play challenges
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: SC2 play challenges  (Read 27818 times)
Shiver

Email
Re: SC2 play challenges
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2003, 05:47:03 am »

I thought up a new one.

You are not allowed to mine or hunt critters anywhere except for Ur-Quan and Kohr-Ah space. You are allowed to strip-mine all of Sol, though.
Krulle
Enlightened

*Hurghi*! Krulle is *spitting* again!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2003, 08:23:22 pm »

The ship i first succeeded with was the Chmmr Avatar.
I always thought it a fair challenge. With 3 or 4 i normally win. (Most of the times one is enough.)
And i thought the game was set up to be played with the Avatars against the Sa Matra, since the uncocooning of the Chmmr is always my last job. During gameplay i mostly use Thraddash Torches, Supox Blades and my PSV (Precursor Service Vehicle).

The Furys were never my choice. Just were not able to control them good enough..... But since you've all told me that the Fury is faster than these fireballs, i do believe you that it might be easy. Just keep all fireballs behind you, i guess.

But for experiencing other ships against the Sa-Matra: I've tried using the Supox Blade (my absolute favourite): That's no fight to win: You cannot shoot the green thingies down, the yellow fireball can be dodged quite easy, but you're not able to destroy it. And before you have a chance to start cracking the second generator, you have about 4 or 5 fireballs all chasing you at different times and intervals. It becomes nearly impossible to dodge them. Sad

But for a real fighting challenge:
Try to fight the Sa-Matra using only  Umgah Drones!

Could be fun. For those standing behind you and watching you.  Cheesy

Or those lovely Thraddash Torches: That main gun is just crap against these generators. But the flames could help you destroying the fireballs and green pushers fairly easy.
That could become a very long battle.

Or the Syreen Penetrator. No useable speciality and a very crappy main shot.

But ain't Penetrators designed to penetrate through something? (At least the name suggests so, need to try that) Just put the bomb in one and push through the shield. The crew will not be able to escape, but otherwise they would be dead anyway during combat....

Or the Arilou'Laleelay Skiff. That automatic pointer just points anywhere, never locks on a generator, because it tries to shoot past the generator directly at the Sa-Matra, just hitting the asteroids. But dodging the self-defence is quite easy, i guess.

CYou,
Martin

Edit: Fighting the Sa-Matra would be nice as an extra Melee-option. Wish to try the Guardian on that Big Trophy. Or the Ilwrath cloaked ship as well. Even the Ur-Quan ships i'd like to try (okay - no use sending the fighters, but the FRIED might prove usefull against the fireballs and the pushers).
« Last Edit: February 18, 2003, 08:27:13 pm by Krulle » Logged
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2003, 08:23:42 pm »

(re: playing naked)

That's easier too. You are less likely to get static shocks which will destroy your system.

Unless you mean you have to play with your character naked. Then it's really hard, as Cmdr Hayes won't add the precursor techs to the station until you put your clothes on
- so you have to fight your way to Procyon and install it all there - and you still can't add more crew until you revive the Shofixti.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2003, 08:25:15 pm by Death_999 » Logged
Censored
Enlightened

Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2003, 08:59:00 pm »

Well, I'm not saying that it's possible with one ZoqFotPik Stinger, but I've managed to take a generator out with the Tongue, so it must be possible with .. (how many generators?) 6 Stingers!
Tongue

Also, a possibility: if you clash with the green thingies in a specific way, with ANY ship, you'll bounce backwards in a velocity value larger than your normal maximum velocity or the fireball's velocity... From there on it's just some practice to hit the generators - theoretically with ANY vessel!

BTW - did you try getting the Sa-Matra with only your flagship? hehe those Hellbore cannons take out the greenies/fireballs with no problem.. and you can easily dodge the fireballs.. the only problem is putting enough Shiva Furnaces (sp?) in that tight space to recharge fast enough for the next strike.
But it looks possible to me.. don't forget the greenies disappear once you get to "the edge" of the screen - only the fireballs follow and (again) those can be easily dodged/killed with the recharged-hellbores.

"You boldly enter our space! Approach this Dreadnought as though it were a recreation base and then play the dumb hominid?
Who do you take us for, Captain... Spathi!?"
Shiver

Email
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2003, 07:11:42 am »

BTW - did you try getting the Sa-Matra with only your flagship? hehe those Hellbore cannons take out the greenies/fireballs with no problem.. and you can easily dodge the fireballs.. the only problem is putting enough Shiva Furnaces (sp?) in that tight space to recharge fast enough for the next strike.
But it looks possible to me.. don't forget the greenies disappear once you get to "the edge" of the screen - only the fireballs follow and (again) those can be easily dodged/killed with the recharged-hellbores.

No. I used the precursor vessel the whole way through until the Sa-Matra. You don't honestly expect me to defeat 6 Ur-Quan vessels and then the Sa-Matra with a half-capacity flagship, do you? *Sigh*, alright, since the whole handicap thing was my idea in the first place, I'll do everything I can to see if it's even possible to win like that.

Edit: Argh! I can beat Ur-Quan Dreadnaughts without taking a single hit (takes a little patience, but not hard at all) but these Kohr-Ah vessels are just ripping me to pieces! The best I've done is to lose to the last marauder of the six. My setup is 1 hellbore cannon, 3 shiva furnaces, 1 crew pod, 1 advanced fuel tank. I'm considering replacing the fuel tank with another crew pod and just having repeat Melnorme refuels on the way to the Sa-Matra. Hm... you know, I bet that would do the trick. Just a sec.

Edit 2: Yes, it is indeed possible to make it to the Sa-Matra without ANY fuel tanks. You need to toot your hyperwave caster once you reach 5 fuel. It gets very tricky once you make it to Ur-Quan space as you'll be guessing which black dot on the radar is your fuel refill. I had to save and load a lot, but I suppose I could've fought through a few dreadnaughts as long as I beat them without casualties. Anyhow, I get 100 crew for the battle and will no doubt be able to face off with the Sa-Matra. Will three shiva furnaces and a hellbore cannon be enough here? Probably not.

Edit 3: The stupid program killed on me while I was near the end of my Ur-Quan killing frenzy. I'm going to sleep now. I won't have time to try this again until friday. When I do, it'll be in a separate message.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2003, 09:04:24 am by Shiver » Logged
Krulle
Enlightened

*Hurghi*! Krulle is *spitting* again!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2003, 03:26:50 pm »

It is possible with the Flagship to destroy all Ur-Quan ships without getting a hit. My config (from front to bak): 1 crew, 1 hellbore, 1 ATS, rest Shiva. That way just point near the Ur-Quan ships (from a little distance), press fire ad the ATS will guide to shots right through  the debris.....  Grin

But taking the Sa-Matra down with that config? the ATS will guide the shots past the generators to the asteroid hull. dammit.....
But it is possible from a near point-blank range. Got 3 or 4 generators down with the original SC2 version. (still using UQM0.1, no need and no time to d/l newer versions yet).

CYa,
Martin
Shiver

Email
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2003, 08:38:28 am »

That sounds like a good setup because of its double damage per shot. But like you said, you'd have to fire point-blank at the generators and that's not good. I'll give my old setup a try when I get back to my computer that actually has SC2 installed, then I'm going to to switch my second crew pod for a 4th shiva furnace, which will allow me to pretty much go berserk with the fire button. I'll still take hits from the Kohr-Ah, but the higher rate of fire should make enough of a difference to get to the Sa-Matra.

So the setup I'm suggesting goes like this from front to back: Hellbore cannon, crew pod, shiva furnace, shiva furnace, shiva furnace, shiva furnace.

If I succeed, the flagship-only challenge won't be such a pushover after all.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2003, 08:39:51 am by Shiver » Logged
Shiver

Email
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2003, 08:12:22 am »

I can't hit those %&#$ing fireballs before they roast me alive. The weapons angle is never good enough. Either that or the damned things are swirving out of the way so they don't get hit. I have been able to take out fireballs, but it doesn't happen frequently enough to get through the whole battle. The only way the flagship could ever beat that thing is if it had a lot of point defense. And that's not really possible since you only get six slots. So I'm calling it quits.
Censored
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2003, 04:02:40 pm »

Nah, I tried with the point-defence already Wink
just for fun, I loaded the flagship with point-defences to see how it does against the SM's defences.. it's no good. Frankly I don't know why they invented this module except perhaps as a tribute to Star Trek.. or something.

"You boldly enter our space! Approach this Dreadnought as though it were a recreation base and then play the dumb hominid?
Censored
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2003, 07:13:31 pm »

heheheh  Grin Grin
ok I admit it's not much of a challenge, but if you ever wanted to go against the Sa-Matra with your flagship I suggest you take a peek at my savegame  Wink
get it while it's hot!!  Cool

(right-click and choose 'save as')

Shiver

Email
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2003, 08:14:17 pm »

Um, yes. The Sa-Matra did in fact go down very fast with that ship. You know it's not possible to do that without hacking, right?
Censored
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2003, 08:18:11 pm »

How do you think I did it? Tongue

it's still fun to try! you can't say it wasn't! Wink

Kohr-Ah_Primat
*Smell* controller

Lady Marauder

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2003, 07:06:22 am »

Here's an incredibly annoying one:
No turning jets allowed. None whatsoever. Remove the two you have already installed at the beginning game.

This makes navigating solar systems an incredibly frustrating task, as you narrowly miss planets on full thrust and then have to spend the next half hour turning around just to realign yourself... only to narrowly miss them again.

Or a variation of that; only use the flagship in combat, and never have any turning jets installed whatsoever. (or ATS modules, once they become available.)

I can say I did this once for a great portion of the game (not voluntarily, but due to low funds) and it was one of the most frustrating experiences of my life. Note that you don't HAVE to use maximum thrust in true space.. which helps to know.

Not to mention it takes literally a day and a half to turn your flagship in the opposite direction in hyperspace.

We are the Ur-Quan Kohr-Ah.
Our nature, the fulfillment of our fate requires your destruction.
You are filth. It is now your time to be cleansed.
Matt Caspermeyer
Zebranky food

SC2 is one of the best games of all time!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2003, 08:46:35 am »

You've got to ditch the crewpod - you can't tell me you're going to let those people die when you take out the Sa-Matra!
Shiver

Email
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2003, 09:16:47 am »

Who's to say the escape pod can only fit the captain on it? If it takes up all the lander bay areas, it should be able to fit a large number of people.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length